And So It Goes (film)
|And So It Goes|
|Directed by||Rob Reiner|
|Written by||Mark Andrus|
|Produced by||Alan Greisman |
Jared Ian Goldman
|Edited by||Dorian Harris|
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
Castle Rock Entertainment
|Distributed by||Clarius Entertainment Freestyle Releasing|
And So It Goes is a 2014 American romantic comedy drama film directed by Rob Reiner and written by Mark Andrus. The film, which stars Michael Douglas, Diane Keaton and Sterling Jerins, was released on July 25, 2014. It received mostly negative reviews from critics, and performed modestly at the box office.
Oren Little (Douglas), a realtor by trade, develops self-absorption, turning his back on his neighbors and shunning the notion of kindness to others. After his wife dies, part of his self-absorption is having no patience for children, not even his own now-adult estranged son. His next-door neighbor, Leah (Keaton), whose own husband has likewise died, never had any children of her own, which leads her to throw her soul and her tears into reviving a singing career that had stagnated.
One day, Oren's estranged son suddenly leaves his father in charge of his own ten-year-old daughter Sarah (Sterling Jerins), a granddaughter whom Oren never knew existed. When Oren's estranged son drops Sarah off at his home, needing his father to take care of her, neither Oren nor Leah, each of whom are lonely souls, have any reason to suspect that Sarah's involvement with their lives will enable them to heal their emotional wounds.
- Michael Douglas as Oren Little
- Diane Keaton as Leah
- Sterling Jerins as Sarah Little
- Annie Parisse as Kate
- Rob Reiner as Artie
- Albert Jones as Reggie
- Yaya DaCosta as Kennedy
- Paloma Guzmán as Selena
- Scott Shepherd as Luke Little
- Frances Sternhagen as Claire
- Andy Karl as Ted Westburg
- Frankie Valli as Club Owner
- David Aaron Baker as David Shaw
- Theo Stockman as Russell
- Meryl Williams as Rita
The first trailer for the film was released on May 9, 2014.
Released on July 25, 2014, the film earned $4,642,329 in its opening weekend. Over its 10-week run, And So It Goes earned a domestic gross of $15,160,801 and foreign gross of $10,151,586, for a total box-office of $25,312,387, against a production budget of $18,000,000, not including marketing costs.
And So It Goes received negative reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes it has an approval rating of 18% based on 88 reviews with the consensus: "And So It Goes aims for comedy, but with two talented actors stuck in a half-hearted effort from a once-mighty filmmaker, it ends in unintentional tragedy". On Metacritic it has a weighted average score of 38 out 100 based on 31 reviews, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences surveyed by CinemaScore gave the film a grade B+ on scale of A to F.
Film critic Leonard Maltin gave the film a positive review, saying the film "offers juicy leading roles to stars Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton." Christy Lemire of Roger Ebert.com also commended the caliber of Douglas' and Keaton's performances, but gave the film 1.5 stars for its storyline, saying: "Nothing here is a spoiler. The outcome is evident from the poster alone". A Washington Post review credits "the film's most alive moments" to Keaton, who channels her Annie Hall character in both her wardrobe and her singing jazz ballads in a local pub. While The Guardian review is happy to see "retirement-age characters" being featured in a film, it criticizes the "banal" plot, saying: "the story structure is so fake and so plodding". Film critic Richard Corliss also gave the film a negative review, saying: "And So It Goes may touch the frayed heartstrings of some older viewers, but it's pretty bad — the failed attempt to Heimlich a venerable movie genre."
- "And So It Goes". Freestyle Releasing. 2014-07-25. Archived from the original on 2017-07-10. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
- "And So It Goes - The Numbers". Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "And So It Goes (2014)". Box Office Mojo. July 25, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Production Begins on Rob Reiner's AND SO IT GOES… Starring Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton". collider.com. 11 June 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Marc Shaiman Scoring Rob Reiner's 'And So It Goes'". filmmusicreporter.com. December 17, 2013. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- McDaniel, Matt (9 May 2014). "'And So It Goes' Trailer: Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton Finally Unite". Yahoo!. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- "And So It Goes". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 26, 2019.
- "And So It Goes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2020-03-30.
- "And So It Goes Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
- "And So It Goes (2014) B+". CinemaScore. Archived from the original on 2018-12-20.
- Maltin, Leonard. "And So It Goes". LeonardMaltin.com. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
- Lemire, Christy (July 25, 2014). "And So It Goes". rogerebert.com. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- Hornaday, Ann (July 24, 2014). "'And So It Goes' movie review: A familiar formula falls flat". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 22, 2020.
- Hoffman, Jordan (July 24, 2014). "And So It Goes: embarrassing for everyone – first look review". The Guardian. Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- Richard Corliss (2014-07-25). "And So It Goes Movie Review: Michael Douglas, Diane Keaton Team Up". Time. Retrieved 2015-04-16.