Charlotte Lewis (born 7 August 1967) is an English actress.
Lewis made her film debut as a teenager in the 1986 Roman Polanski film Pirates. She followed it that same year with the female lead in The Golden Child alongside Eddie Murphy. Later appearances include the film Tripwire (1990) and Storyville (1992, opposite James Spader). She had a co-starring role in Men of War (1995, alongside Dolph Lundgren) and in the 1995 film Decoy. Lewis appeared in the 2003 film Hey DJ.
Accusation against Roman Polanski
On 14 May 2010, Lewis and her Los Angeles-based attorney Gloria Allred accused Roman Polanski of sexually assaulting the actress when she was 16 years old, while the two worked together on Pirates. Prosecutors in Los Angeles confirmed that they interviewed Lewis in connection with the allegations. According to Lewis, the alleged incident occurred at Polanski's Paris apartment in 1983. Lewis gave a very different account of events in an interview with the UK’s News of the World, which was unearthed by the French daily Libération. In that interview, the News of the World (which ceased publication in 2011 due to the News International phone hacking scandal) claimed that Lewis had recognized a relationship with Polanski, along with several other actors, which contradicts every other interview she gave before and after.
In December 2019, French magazine L’Obs came back to the News of the World story, relating a "violent campaign to discredit her" in the media. Charlotte Lewis said: "I was completely alone in 2010. No one believed me. They said I was a prostitute, a liar. I'm a little anxious to talk. The media pushed me so hard."
|1986||Pirates||María-Dolores de la Jenya de la Calde|
|1986||The Golden Child||Kee Nang|
|1988||Dial: Help||Jenny Cooper|
|1989||The Legend of the Emerald Princess||Emerald Princess||Short|
|1990||Stranger in the House|
|1993||Excessive Force||Anna Gilmour|
|1994||Lipstick Camera||Roberta Dailey|
|1994||Men of War||Loki|
|1995||Embrace of the Vampire||Sarah|
|1996||The Glass Cage||Jacqueline|
|1996||Navajo Blues||Elizabeth Wyako|
|1997||Mutual Needs||Louise Collier|
|1999||Every Dog Has Its Day||Jill|
|2003||Henry X||Mrs. Morgan|
|2019||Lost Angelas||Angie Malone|
|1988||Crime Story||Mai Lan||"Femme Fatale"|
|1990–91||Broken Bridges||Priscilla Mather||Recurring role|
|1991||Bare Essentials||Tarita||TV film|
|1992||Sketch Artist||Leese||TV film|
|1993||Red Shoe Diaries||Claire||"Midnight Bells"|
|1996||Viper||Evangeline Raines||"White Fire"|
|1999||Highlander: The Raven||Jade||"The Frame"|
- "Charlotte Lewis". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. 2008. Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Roman Polanski's New Protégée, Charlotte Lewis, Star of Pirates and All of 18". People Magazine Vol. 26 No. 4. 28 July 1986. Retrieved 22 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Angeli, Michael. "Brit Force". Playboy. 40 (7) pp. 132–140. July 1993. ISSN 0032-1478.
- Playboy cover, July 1993
- LePire, Bobby (29 March 2019). "Lost Angelas". Film Threat. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "UK News & Business Directory". Printwords.co.uk. 15 May 2010. Archived from the original on 25 August 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Alpert, Lukas I. (15 May 2010). "New Polanski sex shock". New York Post. Retrieved 14 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lee, Ken (14 May 2010). "New Accuser Alleges Sexual Abuse by Roman Polanski". People. Archived from the original on 15 May 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- DEUTSCH, LINDA (14 May 2010). "Charlotte Lewis: Roman Polanski Molested Me When I Was 16". HuffPost. Archived from the original on 17 May 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Pape, Eric (17 May 2010). "Roman Polanski Accuser, Charlotte Lewis, Lying?". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 20 September 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ""Charlotte Lewis a accusé Roman Polanski : « On a dit que j'étais une prostituée, une menteuse »"". "L’Obs". 12 December 2019. Retrieved 3 March 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Charlotte Lewis at IMDb
- Charlotte Lewis at AllMovie
- Charlotte Lewis on Facebook
- Charlotte Lewis on Instagram