|Can't Wait to See the Movie|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||At various studios in London and Los Angeles|
|Label||Atlantic (1987 LP and Cassettes)|
Rhino (1987 CD format)
Virgin (outside US/Canada)
|Roger Daltrey chronology|
|Singles from Can't Wait to See the Movie|
Can't Wait to See the Movie is the seventh solo studio album by English singer, songwriter and actor Roger Daltrey, the lead vocalist for the Who. It was released in June 1987 by Atlantic Records, and was primarily produced by Alan Shacklock, in association with David Foster, Chas Sanford and Jimmy Scott. Among the songs Daltrey is credited as co-writer on two tracks "Balance on Wires" and "Take Me Home". David Foster co-wrote the track "The Price of Love", which was also featured in the 1987 movie The Secret of My Success, starring Michael J. Fox.
Can't Wait to See the Movie is a pop album that incorporates some genres such as funk, rock, and jazz, and it makes prominent use of synthesizers. The album was received negatively by the majority of music critics, with some critics describing its music as inauthentic and bemoaning the production as too polished. It was also a commercial disappointment, missing the album charts in Europe and the US. One critic referred to it as "Can't Wait to Sell the Record," while other reviewers noted good points to the recordings. When asked about the album at the time, Daltrey said that "It's amazing after all these years how everything can become new and fun again."
The album's only UK top 100 hit, "Hearts of Fire", was written by Russ Ballard. Ballard played guitar on this track, as well as providing backing vocals. Ballard also wrote and performed on Daltrey's first two solo studio albums, Daltrey (1973) and Ride a Rock Horse (1975). Daltrey recorded some other Ballard originals for his McVicar soundtrack and his previous studio album Under a Raging Moon. This album remains his final contribution from Ballard.
Reviewing for AllMusic, critic Mike DeGagne wrote of the album "Knowing the potential that is harnessed within Daltrey, his half-hearted attempts at unleashing the pains built up by failed romances doesn't add up to much. Some uplifting sax played by Gary Barnacle keeps the album from being a total write-off as it surfaces here and there, but a lifeless array of synthesizers droning in the backdrop of every song nullifies even the smallest asset, while adding to the pretentiousness."
The original US album track listing is as follows:
|1.||"Hearts of Fire"||Russ Ballard||5:06|
|2.||"When the Thunder Comes"||3:39|
|3.||"Ready for Love"||Kit Hain||3:28|
|4.||"Balance on Wires"||6:22|
|5.||"Miracle of Love"||4:38|
|6.||"The Price of Love"||4:16|
|7.||"The Heart Has Its Reasons"||Jimmy Scott||4:11|
|8.||"Alone in the Night"||4:27|
|10.||"Take Me Home"||5:45|
- Roger Daltrey – lead vocals, backing vocals
- David Foster – keyboards
- Nick Glennie-Smith – keyboards
- Mark Morgan – keyboards
- Don Snow – keyboards
- John Van Tongeren – keyboards
- Russ Ballard – guitar, backing vocals
- Gary Grainger – guitar
- Michael Landau – guitar
- Clem Clempson – guitar
- Chas Sandford – guitar
- Chris Sandford – guitar
- Phil Brown – bass guitar, guitar, rhythm guitar
- John Siegler – bass guitar
- Tris Imboden – drums, drum overdubs
- Tony Beard – drums, rums
- Martin Ditcham – percussion
- Rev. Dave Boruff – saxophone, synthesizer
- Gary Barnacle – saxophone
- Bimbo Acock – saxophone
- Chris Eaton – backing vocals
- Lance Ellington – backing vocals
- John Payne – backing vocals
- Jimmy Scott – backing vocals
- Miriam Stockley – backing vocals
- Mark Williamson – backing vocals
- Annie McCaig – backing vocals
- Joho Payee – backing vocals
Production and artwork
- Alan Shacklock – record producer
- David Foster – record producer
- Jimmy Scott – executive producer
- Chas Sandford – executive producer
- Noel Harris – production assistant
- Paul Batchelor – production assistant
- Mark Frank – engineer
- Richard Niles – horn arrangements
- Michael Boddicker – synthesizer programming
- Marc A. Frank – remixing
- Graham Hughes – concept, photography
- "Ozzie" – artwork, typesetting
- Garnet Warren – design, typography
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||41|
- "Roger Daltrey - Hearts Of Fire". 45cat.com. Retrieved 16 December 2021.
- "Roger Daltrey - Take Me Home". Discogs.com. Retrieved 16 December 2021.
- Mike DeGagne. "Can't Wait to See the Movie - Roger Daltrey | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Jimmy Scott Discography". Jimmy Scott, songwriter. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Can't Wait to See the Movie". Thewho.net. Archived from the original on 2 November 2014. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Roger Daltrey - Can't Wait To See The Movie - 1987 USA Press Kit". Thewho.info. 13 October 2014. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Can't Wait to See the Movie". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Roger Daltrey – Can't Wait to See the Movie". Hung Medien. Retrieved June 6, 2023.