Brooklyn Joseph Beckham
4 March 1999
|Occupation(s)||Media personality, model|
Brooklyn Joseph Peltz Beckham (born 4 March 1999) is an English media personality and former model. He is the eldest son of former England footballer David Beckham and English singer-turned-fashion designer Victoria Beckham.
Beckham was born at the Portland Hospital in London, the son of David Beckham and Victoria Beckham (née Adams). It is reported that he was named Brooklyn because Victoria had found out about her pregnancy within Brooklyn, New York City. However, according to his mother's 2001 autobiography, Learning to Fly, she and her husband simply liked the name. His mother recalled it was only after choosing the name they "realised how appropriate it was because it was in New York that she found out she was pregnant and where David came after the World Cup."
Beckham spent his childhood in Madrid and Los Angeles, while his father played for Real Madrid and LA Galaxy. He has three younger siblings: brothers Romeo James, Cruz David, and a sister Harper Seven. In December 2004, Brooklyn and Romeo were jointly baptised in a private chapel on the grounds of their parents’ Hertfordshire mansion. His godparents are Elton John, David Furnish and Elizabeth Hurley.
Beckham began modelling professionally in 2014, and has appeared in editorials and on covers for Vogue China, Miss Vogue, Interview, L'Uomo Vogue, T:The New York Times Style Magazine and Dazed Korea. He has been photographed by Bruce Weber, Terry Richardson, Daniel Jackson and Alasdair McLellan.
In 2016, at the age of 16, Beckham modelled in a campaign for Burberry BRIT, starring models Ben Rees, Carvell Conduah, Eliza Thomas, Liv Mason Pearson and Maddie Demaine. Beckham's hiring for the campaign was met with criticism by several prominent photographers. Chris Floyd called Burberry's decision to employ Beckham a "devaluation of photography" and "sheer nepotism", while fashion photographer Jon Gorrigan called it an example of "a bit of injustice in a lot of areas" of the industry.
In 2017, Beckham announced that he would pursue a photography degree at Parsons School of Design at the New School in New York. He failed to complete the first year of the four year course and subsequently abandoned his degree. Beckham's first book of photography, entitled What I See, was published in June 2017. Critical reactions were negative. A handful of leaked photographs became the focus of ridicule on Twitter, with users lampooning the "terrible photographs and even worse captions". However, Random House, Beckham's publisher, defended the book as reflecting the interests of his teenage fan base. Beckham returned to the UK and in 2019 interned for British photographer Rankin.
In 2021, it was revealed that Beckham was to try his hand at becoming a professional chef. His online video series Cookin’ With Brooklyn attracted criticism when it was revealed that it took 62 professionals to create each episode, at a reported cost of $100,000 per episode. Critics also pointed out that Beckham has no real professional experience or training.
Beckham previously dated American actress Chloë Grace Moretz, French-Tunisian model-singer, Sonia Ben Ammar, Canadian model Lexi Wood, singer Madison Beer, dancer Lexy Panterra, Lottie Moss (sister of model Kate Moss), model Phoebe Torrance, singer Rita Ora, and English model Hana Cross. He attended the 2016 Democratic National Convention with Moretz in support of Hillary Clinton. After breaking up and reconciling several times, Moretz confirmed that she and Beckham had broken up for good in 2018.
After confirming their relationship on Instagram in January 2020, Beckham announced his engagement to American actress Nicola Peltz on 11 July 2020. The couple were married on 9 April 2022 in Palm Beach, Florida in a Jewish ceremony (his great-grandfather was Jewish and Peltz's father is Jewish).
- Strout, Paige (15 August 2022). "The Real Reason Why Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Peltz Combined Their Last Names". E!.
- "The origin of Brooklyn Beckham's name". People.com. 8 March 2007. Archived from the original on 16 January 2012.
- Finn, Natalie (4 March 2020). "Inside Brooklyn Beckham's Precious Bond With His Famous Family". EOnline.com. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- "Beckhams host glitzy christening". BBC News. 23 December 2004. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- "Beckhams' sons christened in back garden chapel". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- "Celebrity godparents and famous godchildren in pictures". hellomagazine.com. 25 November 2013.
- "Brooklyn Beckham turns 18: How much do you really know about him?". Glamour UK. Condé Nast Britain. 4 March 2017.
- Lynch, Alison (19 May 2014). "It's barista Beckham: Brooklyn Beckham gets weekend job in west London coffee shop". Metro.co.uk. DMG Media.
- Gaines, Cork (21 September 2015). "David Beckham's oldest son no longer wants to play soccer, and the reason why broke his dad's heart". Business Insider.
- Chan, Jennifer (31 March 2014). "Brooklyn Beckham Makes Modeling Debut on Man About Town Magazine—See the Pics!". E! Online. NBCUniversal.
- Williams, Rhiannon (17 August 2016). "Why is Brooklyn Beckham selling phones?". BBC News.
- Boblia, Maria (11 July 2016). "BROOKLYN BECKHAM'S FRAGRANCE CAMPAIGN FOR BURBERRY IS HERE". Fashionista. Breaking Media, Inc.
- "Brit Fragrance 2016 (Burberry)". MODELS.com.
- "Moments of the Year: 6. Celebrity Kin". models.com. 17 December 2015.
- Desmond, Sally (30 January 2016). "'Sheer nepotism': Brooklyn Beckham Burberry shoot angers photographers". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Shenton, Zoe (16 September 2017). "Brooklyn Beckham moans about "fangirls" at his new New York college". mirror. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Rearick, Lauren (16 July 2018). "Brooklyn Beckham Reportedly Left Parsons School of Design Because of "Homesickness" He'll be returning to the United Kingdom". Teen Vogue. Condé Nast.
- "The first reviews are in for Brooklyn Beckham's photography book". The Independent. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2021.
- "Brooklyn Beckham book has 'terrible photos and even worse captions'". The Independent. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2021.
- "Random House responds to criticism over Brooklyn Beckham photography book". The Independent. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2021.
- "The Londoner: Brooklyn snaps up Rankin internship". Evening Standard. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 10 April 2022.
- Ellis, David (14 February 2022). "Cookin' with Brooklyn review: Bake it like Beckham? We'll pass, thanks". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2 April 2022.
- Ng, Kate (10 February 2022). "It Takes '62 Professionals' To Create An Episode of Brooklyn Beckham's Cooking Show, Report Claims". The Independent. Retrieved 2 April 2022.
- Pavia, Will (9 February 2022). "TV chef Brooklyn Beckham is a recipe for disaster". The Times. Retrieved 2 April 2022.
- Mizoguchi, Karen (8 December 2020) [9 May 2016]. "Chloë Grace Moretz Confirms She's Dating Brooklyn Beckham: 'Yes, We're in a Relationship'". People.
- Spedding, Emma; Sowray, Bibby (14 March 2016). "Everything you need to know about Brooklyn Beckham's 'girlfriend' Sonia Ben Ammar". Telegraph.
- O'Malley, Katie (11 April 2018). "Brooklyn Beckham Responds To Chloë Moretz's Claims He Cheated On Her". ELLE. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Rodulfo, Kristina (29 July 2016). "Chloë Grace Moretz Had Best Date Ever at the Democratic National Convention". ELLE.
- Gordon, Naomi (13 August 2018). "Chloë Grace Moretz Breaks Silence On Brooklyn Beckham Split And PDA Photos". ELLE. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Sinha, Charu (12 July 2020). "Brooklyn Beckham Engaged to Nicola Peltz". Vulture. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- Mackelden, Amy (11 July 2020). "Brooklyn Beckham Confirms His Engagement to Actress Nicola Peltz". Harper's Bazaar. Hearst Magazine Media Inc. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- Britten, Fleur (9 April 2022). "Celebrity blue-bloods: everything we know about Brooklyn and Nicola's wedding". the Guardian. Retrieved 9 April 2022.
the couple revealed that it will be a Jewish wedding – Brooklyn's great-grandfather and Nicola's father are both Jewish
- "Brooklyn Beckham, Nicola Peltz marry in Jewish wedding". Times of Israel. 10 April 2022. Retrieved 10 April 2022.
Both Beckham and Peltz have Jewish heritage through their fathers....although Nelson's wife, former model Claudia Heffner, never converted to Judaism, he is a "devout Jew."
- Shukert, Rachel (17 April 2012). "David Beckham: I Consider Myself To Be Jewish". Tablet Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- Fifield, Dominic (14 July 2007). "Beckham launches into the Galaxy". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 14 July 2007.
- Jewish funeral for Beckham's grandfather, By Jessica Elgot, 10 December 2009
- Gabe Friedman (21 July 2020). "Beckham's son Brooklyn and actress Nicola Peltz to have big Jewish wedding". The Jerusalem Post.
Peltz's father, Nelson, is a Jewish-American billionaire businessman who, according to The Daily Mirror, spent well over a million dollars on the 2016 bar mitzvah of his twin sons.
- Ghermezian, Shiryn (20 July 2020). "Celebrity Couple Brooklyn Beckham, Nicola Peltz Planning 'Jewish Wedding'". Algemeiner.