Volavola with the Greater Sydney Rams in 2014
|Birth name||Ben Thomas Tuvula Volavola|
|Date of birth||13 January 1991|
|Place of birth||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||96 kg (15 st 2 lb; 212 lb)|
|School||Endeavour Sports High School|
|Notable relative(s)||Peni Volavola (Grandfather)|
|Rugby union career|
Ben Volavola (born 13 January 1991) is an Australian-born Fijian international rugby union footballer who plays for French Pro D2 team USA Perpignan. He has previously played for Super Rugby clubs such as the Waratahs, Crusaders, and most recently the Rebels. Volavola can play as either a fly-half or full back.
Ben Volavola was born in Sydney, Australia and is of Fijian and Indo-Fijian descent. He is the grandson of former Suva Mayor, Ratu Peni Volavola, and of the former Suva netball representative Vasiti Mea Naqova. He moved back to Fiji during his early years.
He attended Veiuto Primary School before he left for Australia where he first learnt how to play rugby, but moved back to Sydney in 2000 with his mother (Ema Volavola) and younger brother Milan before he started high School.
In 2012, he completed his Certificate III and IV in Fitness at the Australian Institute of Fitness in 2012. He also finished a Business Diploma with the Australian Vocational Training Academy.
His performances for Southern Districts in the Shute Shield have earned him a spot in the Waratahs Extended Playing Squad for the 2013 Super Rugby season. He represented Australia Under 20 in the 2011 IRB Junior World Championship in Italy.
Volavola signed for the Crusaders in the 2016 Super Rugby season to replace a number 10 exodus at the Crusaders with Dan Carter, Colin Slade and Tom Taylor who are moving to play rugby in Europe as well as confirming his eligibility to join Fiji for the upcoming 2015 Rugby World Cup. He signed a two-year deal.
After getting picked by Fiji for the upcoming 2015 World Rugby Pacific Nations Cup, he intends to make the 10 jersey which was worn by former Fijian flyhalf, Nicky Little who Volavola regards as one of his heroes. His parents, Dinesh Shankar and Ema Volavola have been supportive of their son's decision to represent Fiji.
He was named one of Fiji's 31 man squad for the Rugby World Cup 2015 which was hosted in England and Wales. He played all 4 matches, against all three of the biggest teams in Fiji's group; England (lost 35–11), Australia (lost 28–13) and Wales (lost 23–13) and the last against Uruguay where Fiji won 45–17.
In October 2017, after playing all of his professional career in the Super Rugby, NRC, and Mitre 10 Cup Volavola signed for French Top 14 club Bordeaux Bègles. Confirmation was released in November 2017. He joined Fijian teammate Peni Ravai.
Super Rugby statistics
- As of 6 November 2017
In October 2017, Volavola was seen with Actress Shailene Woodley on multiple occasions. The duo later posted several photos of each other on social media, confirming their relationship, and in January 2018, Woodley posted a picture of Volavola saying "damn I love him".
In April 2020 it was reported that the relationship with Woodley had ended.
- "Know About Ben Volavola; Age, Salary, Parents, Height, Shailene Woodley". Celebspodium. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- The Courier Mail
- Narawa, Emoni (29 October 2012). "Mum I'm a Waratah". Fiji Times. Archived from the original on 31 October 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Ben Volavola profile". Waratahs. Archived from the original on 26 February 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Ben Volavola profile". 2011 Under 20s. ARU. Archived from the original on 21 March 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Ben Volavola JWC profile". Junior World Cup. IRB. Archived from the original on 17 May 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Iain, Payten (5 June 2015). "Fringe Waratahs playmaker Ben Volavola set for move to Crusaders to replace All Black great Dan Carter". Daily Telegraph AU. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- "Ben Volavola signs two-year deal with Crusaders". RugbyNews.net. 5 June 2015. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Mannan, Justine. "Ben Keen For No. 10". Fiji Sun. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Rebels add Fijian international Ben Volavola to squad" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. 6 January 2017. Archived from the original on 6 January 2017. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Chandar, Reginald. "Volavola signs with Bordeaux-Begles". Fiji Live. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "RUGBY - TOP 14 - Ben Volavola et Ed Fidow arrivent à Bordeaux-Bègles en tant que jokers médicaux" (in French). Rugby Rama. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "Rugby - Top 14 : le Fidjien Ben Volavola est arrivé à l'UBB" (in French). France Bleu. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Les Bleus de l'UBB déjà sur le terrain, Ben Volavola patiente" (in French). L'Équipe. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Volavola In For Carter At Racing 92 | Fiji Sun". fijisun.com.fj. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Player Statistics". It's Rugby.
- "'Damn I love him' - Shailene Woodley declares her love for Kiwi rugby star boyfriend". newshub.co.nz. Retrieved 8 January 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "Is Shailene Woodley Dating Rugby Player Ben Volavola?". E! Online. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Buchanan, Kyle. "Shailene Woodley Finally Knows What She Wants Again". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 April 2020.