|Aedes koreicus in Trentino-South Tyrol (Italy)|
Aedes koreicus is a mosquito species originally described from Korea that has been shown to be enzootic to Japan, northeastern China, the Republic of Korea (South Korea) and parts of Russia, but recently found in Belgium, Italy  and Germany. Adult Aedes koreicus are relatively large, with areas of white scales on black background, strongly resembling Aedes japonicus, which has also become established outside its native range.
Aedes koreicus larvae have been found breeding in artificial water collection sites such as garden ponds, water drums, manholes, buckets, flower pots, discarded tires, and other water-containing vessels, as well as in natural collection sites such as tree holes, stone cavities, road tracks, and ditches, in either clear or organics-rich water. These characteristics adapt it to surviving transport over long distances and exploiting urban as well as periurban habitats.
The first documentation of Aedes koreicus becoming established outside its native range was in Belgium in 2008, marking it as an invasive species capable of being globally transported. In 2011 it was discovered to be established in the Province of Belluno, Veneto region, Italy and in 2013 in the Swiss-Italian border region. Given its demonstrated ability to survive northern European winters and benefit from human-aided transport, the species may be introduced and become established in other temperate countries with similar climates to those where it has already become established.
Aedes koreicus adults feed on humans, domestic animals, and farm animals during day and night hours and have been demonstrated to be competent vectors of Japanese encephalitis virus and dog heartworm, and a potential vector of other arboviruses, and Brugia malayi, which causes lymphatic filariasis.
- F. W. Edwards. Notes on Culicidae, with Descriptions of New Species. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 7: 201-229; 212-213; http://www.mosquitocatalog.org/files/pdfs/039100-17.pdf Archived 2016-03-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC): Aedes koreicus, http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/healthtopics/vectors/mosquitoes/Pages/aedes-koreicus.aspx#sthash.3mOyNNJW.dpuf Archived 2016-03-19 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 15 Mar 2016.
- Thomas V. Gaffigan, Richard C. Wilkerson, James E. Pecor, Judith A. Stoffer and Thomas Anderson. 2016. "Aedes (Fin.) koreicus" in Systematic Catalog of Culicidae, Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit, http://wrbu.si.edu/SpeciesPages_non-ANO/non-ANO_A-hab/AEkor_hab.html Archived 2016-03-19 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 16 Mar 2016.
- Steinbrink, A., Zotzmann, S., Cunze, S. et al. Parasitol Res (2019) 118: 1073. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-019-06232-x
- Veerle Versteirt, James Pecor, Dina Madeira Fonseca, Marc Coosemans, and Wim Van Bortel. 2012. Confirmation of Aedes koreicus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Belgium and description of morphological differences between Korean and Belgian specimens validated by molecular identification. Zootaxa, 3191(3191):21-32; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263086955_Confirmation_of_Aedes_koreicus_Diptera_Culicidae_in_Belgium_and_description_of_morphological_differences_between_Korean_and_Belgian_specimens_validated_by_molecular_identification.
- Capelli, Gioia; Drago, Andrea; Martini, Simone; Montarsi, Fabrizio; Soppelsa, Mauro; Delai, Nicola; Ravagnan, Silvia; Mazzon, Luca; Schaffner, Francis; Mathis, Alexander; Di Luca, Marco; Romi, Roberto; Russo, Francesca (2011). "First report in italy of the exotic mosquito species Aedes (Finlaya) koreicus, a potential vector of arboviruses and filariae". Parasites & Vectors. 4: 188. doi:10.1186/1756-3305-4-188. PMC 3203849. PMID 21951867.
- Tobias Suter, Eleonora Flacio, Begoña Feijoó Fariña, Lukas Engeler, Mauro Tonolla and Pie Müller. 2015. First report of the invasive mosquito species Aedes koreicus in the Swiss-Italian border region. Parasites & Vectors, 8:402 (4 pp.), http://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13071-015-1010-3.
- Marcantonio, Matteo; Metz, Markus; Baldacchino, Frédéric; Arnoldi, Daniele; Montarsi, Fabrizio; Capelli, Gioia; Carlin, Sara; Neteler, Markus; Rizzoli, Annapaola (3 February 2016). "First assessment of potential distribution and dispersal capacity of the emerging invasive mosquito Aedes koreicus in Northeast Italy". Parasites & Vectors. 9 (1). doi:10.1186/s13071-016-1340-9. PMC 4739402.