2028 Summer Paralympics
One of the logos of the 2028 Summer Paralympics
|Host city||Los Angeles, United States|
|Motto||Follow The Sun|
|Part of a series on|
The 2028 Summer Paralympics also known as the 18th Summer Paralympic Games, and commonly known as Los Angeles, United States 2028, are an upcoming major international multi-sport event for athletes with disabilities governed by the International Paralympic Committee, to be held in Los Angeles, United States originally planned from September 4 to 17, 2028, but now likely to be August 22 to September 3. These games mark the first time Los Angeles will host the Paralympics in its history. The final decision was made by the IOC on September 13, 2017, at their annual conference in Lima, Peru.
As part of a formal agreement between the International Paralympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee first established in 2001, the winner of the bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics must also host the 2028 Summer Paralympics.
Due to concerns over a number of cities withdrawing in the bid process of the 2022 Winter Olympics and 2024 Summer Olympics, a process to award the 2024 and 2028 Games simultaneously to the final two cities in the running to the 2024 Summer Olympics—Los Angeles and Paris—was approved at an Extraordinary IOC Session on July 11, 2017 in Lausanne. Paris was understood to be the preferred host for the 2024 Games. On July 31, 2017, the IOC announced Los Angeles as the sole candidate for the 2028 Games, leaving Paris to be confirmed as hosts for the 2024 Games. Both decisions were ratified at the 131st IOC Session on September 13, 2017.
- Butler, Nick (February 7, 2018). "Paris 2024 to start week earlier than planned after IOC approve date change". insidethegames.biz. Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- "Paralympics 2012: London to host 'first truly global Games'". BBC Sport. May 21, 2012. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "IOC Executive Board approve joint awarding plans for 2024 and 2028 Olympics". Inside the Games. June 9, 2017.
- "Paris set to host 2024 Olympics, Los Angeles to be awarded 2028 Games by IOC". ABC News Australia. Reuters/AP. August 1, 2017. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "L.A. 2028 unveils dynamic Olympics logo, updated by athletes and celeb creators". adage.com. September 1, 2020. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
- "Athletes, artists and celebrities create unique logos for the 2028 L.A. Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
- "Celebrities, Artists, Athletes Contribute To Animated Logo For 2028 LA Olympics". CBS Los Angeles. September 1, 2020. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
| Summer Paralympics
XVII Paralympic Summer Games (2028)