Fun Mom Dinner
|Fun Mom Dinner|
|Directed by||Alethea Jones|
|Written by||Julie Yaeger Rudd|
|Edited by||Jonathan Corn|
|Music by||Julian Wass|
|Distributed by||Momentum Pictures|
Fun Mom Dinner is a 2017 American comedy film directed by Alethea Jones, from a screenplay by Julie Rudd. It stars Katie Aselton, Toni Collette, Bridget Everett, Molly Shannon, Adam Scott, and Adam Levine.
When four moms come together for a "fun mom dinner", the night takes an unexpected turn.
- Toni Collette as Kate
- Molly Shannon as Jamie
- Bridget Everett as Melanie
- Katie Aselton as Emily
- Adam Scott as Tom
- Rob Huebel as Andrew
- Adam Levine as Luke
- Paul Rust as Barry
- Sam Lerner as Alex
- Kathryn Prescott as Zoe
- Jaz Sinclair as Olivia
- Hart Denton as James
- Paul Rudd as Brady
- David Wain as Wayne
- John Early as Alfred
- Jessie Ennis as Francesca
- Jessica Chaffin as Jen
- Emmersyn Fiorentino as Grace
- Owen Vaccaro as Lucas
- Caleb and Matthew Paddock as Henry
On June 22, 2016, it was reported that Alethea Jones would direct Fun Mom Dinner from a script by Julie Yaeger Rudd, featuring a cast including Toni Collette, Molly Shannon, Bridget Everett, and Adam Scott. Filming began that day in Los Angeles. Julian Wass composed the film's score.
The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2017. Prior to Sundance, Momentum Pictures and Netflix acquired U.S. distribution rights to the film. It was released in a limited release and through video on demand on August 4, 2017. It was released through Netflix on December 31, 2017.
Fun Mom Dinner received generally negative reviews from critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 33% approval rating, based on 27 reviews, with an average rating of 4.45/10. Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 46 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Reviewing the film for The New York Times, Nicole Herrington called it a "thin script" but praised the chemistry along the leads, and Everett's performance. Christy Lemire reviewing for Roger Ebert's website gave the film one-and-a-half stars on the basis that the film "makes the repeated mistake of banging us over the head with its running gags and needlessly spelling everything out, making the movie feel longer than its 81 minutes," and summarizing that "These are indeed moms, and they do have dinner, but the “fun” part is in short supply." The A.V. Club gave the film a "C" grade calling the film uninspired, and "undeniably disappointing when a movie called Fun Mom Dinner isn’t, well, much fun."
|Guild of Music Supervisors Awards||Best Music Supervision for Films Budgeted Under $5 Million||Nominated|
|Yoga Awards||You Too Award||Won|
- McNary, Dave (June 22, 2016). "Toni Collette, Molly Shannon to Star in 'Fun Mom Dinner' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- Wright, Megh (June 22, 2016). "Molly Shannon, Bridget Everett, Toni Collette, and More to Star in 'Fun Mom Dinner'". Vulture Comedy. New York Media. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- filmmusicreporter (November 9, 2016). "Julian Wass to Score 'Fun Mom Dinner'". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- Patten, Dominic (December 5, 2016). "Sundance 2017: Robert Redford, New Rashida Jones Netflix Series, 'Rebel In The Rye' & More On Premiere, Docu, Midnight & Kids Slates". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved December 5, 2016.
- "Fun Mom Dinner". Sundance Film Festival. The Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "2017 Sundance Film Festival: Printable Film Guide" (PDF). Sundance Film Festival. The Sundance Institute. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (January 19, 2017). "'Fun Mom Dinner' Racks Up Near $5M In WW Deals As Momentum, Netflix Buy Sundance Film". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- Boone, John (June 19, 2017). "EXCLUSIVE: Meet the Moms of 'Fun Mom Dinner' -- and Check Out the Movie's Poster!". Entertainment Tonight. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- Lapin, Andrew (November 30, 2017). "What's New on Netflix: December 2017". Vulture. New York Media. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Fun Mom Dinner (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "Fun Mom Dinner Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 4, 2018.
- Herrington, Nicole (August 3, 2017). "Review: 'Fun Mom Dinner' Means a Night Out Without the Kids". The New York Times. Retrieved August 5, 2017.
- Lemire, Christy (August 4, 2017). "Fun Mom Dinner Movie Review & Film Summary". RogerEbert.com. Ebert Digital LLC. Retrieved August 5, 2017.
- Rife, Katie (August 3, 2017). "Moms run mild in the bloodless Fun Mom Dinner". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved August 5, 2017.