Hotel del Luna
|Hotel del Luna|
|Created by||Studio Dragon|
|Directed by||Oh Choong-hwan|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Kim Kyu-tae|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||73–94 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||July 13 –|
September 1, 2019
Hotel del Luna (Korean: 호텔 델루나; RR: Hotel del luna) is a 2019 South Korean television series, starring Lee Ji-eun and Yeo Jin-goo as the owner and manager, respectively, of the eponymous hotel that caters only to ghosts. Produced by GT:st, written by the Hong sisters and directed by Oh Choong-hwan, it aired on tvN from July 13 to September 1, 2019.
It was the most viewed tvN drama of 2019, and it is the twelfth-highest-rated Korean drama in cable television history.
The "Guest House of the Moon" is not like any other hotel. A supernatural place, the hotel is not visible in its true form during the daytime as humans can only come across the hotel under special circumstances such as an invitation or lunar eclipse. Its staff and clients are all souls/ghosts coming to terms with unfinished business in their former lives before they pass on to the afterlife and cycle of reincarnation; the staff in particular have been there for decades and even centuries as they have not settled their grudges. The exception to this is the hotel general manager, which has been filled by a succession of human "passerbys" since they need to interact normally with the real world in instances like paying bills or fulfilling ghosts' requests with still-living relatives/friends. Some of the more powerful or long-lasting ghosts can make themselves present among humans but they have to abide by the guidelines of the deities Mago and Grim Reaper; for instance killing a human being will usually result in the soul being destroyed without going on to the afterlife. Ghosts can see other ghosts and humans, however only a select few humans such as the Guest House of the Moon manager can see ghosts.
Jang Man-wol (Lee Ji-eun) is the owner of this hotel, currently known as the "Hotel del Luna" that is located in Myeong-dong, Seoul. Due to a huge sin committed a millennium ago, the hotel catering to the dead has been bound to her soul. As a result of manipulation by the deity Mago (Yi-suk Seo), she meets Gu Chan-sung's father and makes a deal for his son to work for her after 20 years in return for his life and money. With his new found fortune and life, his father takes Gu Chan-sung (Yeo Jin-goo) abroad where the young man grows up as a sincere perfectionist who is level-headed, but also has a soft heart. He comes back to South Korea after his father's death to be an assistant manager at a multinational hotel corporation, only to face Jang Man-wol, after which he ends up fulfilling the agreement and becomes the manager of Hotel Del Luna.
Through Gu Chan-sung, the audience is introduced to the mysteries and the secrets behind the Hotel and its owner.
- The beautiful but moody owner of Hotel del Luna (Guest House of the Moon) for 1,300 years. Initially condemned to be the owner of the hotel to atone for killing many people, her character gradually softens after she meets Gu Chan-sung. fter the accidental death of her parents in the wilderness, Man-wol was found unconscious by a merchant and his son. Later she was taken in by Yeon-woo's mother and raised alongside him. After the death of Yeon-woo's mother, the pair remained close as siblings, and grew up to found a clan of bandits that aligned with the rebellion. Upon reaching adulthood, Man-wol was initially warm, smart, and brave, but also sarcastic and ruthless. After robbing princess Song-hwa, who was traveling near the bandits' territory, she met Go Chung-myung, a high-ranking soldier serving the king. After an initial scuffle, the pair fell in love, with Go Chung-myung teaching Man-wol to write her name. After Chung-myung informed Yeon-woo about the threat of princess Song-hwa, Yeon-woo convinced Chung-myung to betray Man-wol in hopes of saving her life. The bandits, including Yeon-woo, were captured by Song-hwa's forces and hanged to death, but Man-wol was spared as an unwitting collaborator. In rage and hatred, Man-wol killed Go Chung-myung and Princess Song-hwa on their wedding night, along with many other guests. Afterwards, she searched for the guest house of moon for the dead to atone for her sins. Once she found it, she became cursed to run the guest house until her heart, now personified by an ancient tree, finally changed. Alternating between being cold/aloof and bad-tempered, she held grudges as the centuries passed until she met Gu Chan-sung and changed for the better. She is known for her love of gaudy and elaborate outfits (over 100 in the series), and frequently drinking champagne.
- The new general manager of Hotel del Luna, succeeding the previous manager, Noh Joon-suk. He is a handsome Harvard MBA graduate, who is hired as an assistant manager at one of Korea's top hotels. However, due to a deal his father made with Jang Man-wol twenty-one years before, Chan-sung is forced to become the general manager for the Hotel del Luna and overcome his fears in coping with the unseen world of ghosts. Being stoic and rational puts him at odds with Man-wol, particularly curbing her spendthrift and extortionist tendencies. Once he settles in at Hotel del Luna his compassion emerges, with a customer focus tailored to each of the ghost clients, then eagerly learning Man-wol's backstory and protecting her from committing further sins.
At the Hotel del Luna
- Jung Dong-hwan as No Joon-suk
- The hotel's general manager for 30 years who is retiring; Chan-sung's predecessor.
- Shin Jung-geun as Kim Seon-bi (formerly Kim Shi-ik)
- The longest employee of the hotel and the Sky Bar's bartender. He lived during the Joseon dynasty as the scholar Kim Shi-ik, who committed suicide after being removed from his position for writing stories about the lives of commoners. He waited for 500 years to clear his name.
- Bae Hae-sun as Choi Seo-hee
- The housekeeper and room service provider with an extrovert personality. She also lived during the Joseon era as a nobleman's wife. When she gave birth to a girl instead of a boy, the family took her child away to starve the baby whereas her husband slept with another woman to have a baby boy, in order to carry on the family name. She was driven to insanity after her daughter's death and was killed by her husband's men. She vowed to see the family tree die out and wishes to take the last heir of the family with her to the afterlife.
- Pyo Ji-hoon as Ji Hyun-joong
- The hotel receptionist. He is nice and polite but does not like his job. He was a student (at Soo-jung / Yoo-na's school) who was accidentally killed by his friend during the height of the Korean War, who assumes his identity. He cares very deeply for his younger sister, waiting for 70 years to able to leave for the afterlife together. He starts dating Jung Soo-jung / Kim Yoo-na but ultimately had to break up with her because he left to the afterlife.
- A rich and arrogant student, whose physical body ends up being inhabited by the spirit of Jung Soo-jung, a schoolmate whom Yoo-na bullied and murdered by pushing her off a bridge. Yoo-na's spirit is obliterated by her parents, so Soo-jung decides to remain inside Yoo-na's body and assume her identity to be able to live. Due to her being a spirit living in someone's body, she also can see ghosts. Eventually she is hired as an intern.
People around Jang Man-wol
- Lee Do-hyun as Go Chung-myung
- A royal guard captain during the Goguryeo era who fell in love with Man-wol. He was forced to marry Princess Song-hwa and to capture the rebels and kill them to rid the king of suspicions and protect his clan as well as to spare Man-wol from punishment. Just after his marriage to Song-hwa, he intentionally allowed himself be killed by Man-wol out of his unwavering love and guilt towards her. The first guest of the hotel, he too has been repaying his sins and stayed by Man-wol's side due to a promise he made.
- Lee Tae-sun as Yeon-woo / Officer Park Young-soo
- The co-leader of the bandits with Man-wol, he acts as a surrogate brother to her. They raided Princess Song-hwa's caravan that was guarded by Go Chung-myung. He was captured and killed under the lead of Go Chung-myung, which led to Jang Man-wol developing a deep grudge against the latter. He is reincarnated as police detective Park Young-soo, who becomes Lee Mi-ra's boyfriend (reincarnation of Princess Song-hwa).
People around Go Chan-sung
- Jo Hyun-chul as Sanchez
- Chan-sung's best friend when they were studying at Harvard. He is the son of a wealthy pizza franchise operator, running the restaurant in Seoul. He opens up his house to Chan-sung and Lee Mi-ra. He eventually learns the truth about the Hotel del Luna after his girlfriend's death.
- Park Yoo-na as Princess Song-hwa / Lee Mi-ra
- A princess during the Goguryeo era who was attracted to Chung-myung and later married him. She oversaw the destruction of Man-wol and Yeon-woo's clan of bandits, and during her wedding night was slain by Man-wol in revenge. After spending several lifetimes atoning for her sins, she is reincarnated as Lee Mi-ra, a doctor and Chan-sung's squandering ex-girlfriend. She returns to Korea hoping to rekindle the romance with Chan-sung but later becomes Park Young-soo's girlfriend.
- Lee David as Seol Ji-won
- A rich young man who was Chan-sung and Sanchez's schoolmate at Harvard. He had defamed Sanchez but was thwarted by Chan-sung, which resulted in him becoming Sanchez and Chan-sung's nemesis. He later commits suicide after being outed for committing a series of heinous crimes and becomes a vengeful spirit who aims to haunt Chan-sung and his acquaintances for revenge.
- A goddess who controls the life and death of people passing through the hotel and appears in many forms.
- He guides the souls staying at the hotel to the afterlife and often makes deals with Jang Man-wol to capture wandering evil spirits.
- Oh Ji-ho as Chan-sung's father (Ep. 1 & 16)
- Kim Won-hae as the mayor (Ep. 1)
- Lee Chae-kyung as hotel CEO (Ep. 1, 2 & 10)
- Nam Kyoung-eub as Chairman Wang (Ep. 2, 9 & 10)
- Lee Joon-gi as priest (Ep. 3)
- Lee Si-eon as astronaut (Ep. 3)
- Jo Hyun-sik as hotel guest (Ep. 3)
- Lee Yi-kyung as actor Yu Oh (Ep. 6)
- Pyo Ye-jin as actress (Ep. 6)
- Kim Jun-hyun as himself (Ep. 6)
- Park Jin-joo as Gyeong Ah (Ep. 8)
- Nam Da-reum as Spirit of the Well (Ep. 9-10)
- Sulli as Jung Ji-eun (Ep. 10)
- Choi Yoo-song as spirit of Chan-sung's mother (Ep. 10)
- Seo Eun-soo as Veronica (Ep. 11)
- Hwang Young-hee as Hwang Moon-sook (Ep. 11)
- Lee Seung-joon as doctor (Ep. 12)
- So Hee-jung as doctor's wife (Ep. 12)
- Kim Seung-han as doctor's son (Ep. 12)
- Lee Min-young as ghost (Ep. 13)
- Kim Soo-hyun as new owner of the Guest House of the Moon, renaming it Hotel Blue Moon (Ep. 16)
|Hotel del Luna OST|
|Soundtrack album by |
|"Another Day" (Monday Kiz and Punch)||2019||20||Part 1|||
|"Lean On My Shoulders" (나의 어깨에 기대어요) (10cm)||13||Part 2|||
|"All About You"(그대라는 시) (Taeyeon)||1||Part 3|||
|"Only You" (너만 너만 너만) (Yang Da-il)||33||Part 4|||
|"Can You See My Heart" (내 맘을 볼 수 있나요) (Heize)||2||Part 5|||
|"At the End" (그 끝에 그대) (Chungha)||18||Part 6|||
|"Remember Me" (기억해줘요 내 모든 날과 그때를) (Gummy)||1||Part 7|||
|"See the Stars" (어떤 별보다) (Red Velvet)||50||Part 8|||
|"Can You Hear My Voice" (내 목소리 들리니) (Ben)||3||Part 9|||
|"So Long" (안녕) (Paul Kim)||1||Part 10|||
|"Say Goodbye" (Song Ha-ye)||22||Part 11|||
|"Done for Me" (Punch)||1||Part 12|||
|"Love Del Luna" (러브 델루나) (Taeyong & Punch)||46||Part 13|||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
This series aired on tvN, a cable channel/pay TV which normally has a relatively smaller audience compared to free-to-air TV/public broadcasters (KBS, SBS, MBC and EBS). It was the most viewed tvN drama of 2019, and it is the twelfth-highest-rated Korean drama in cable television history.
|Ep.||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|1||July 13, 2019||7.327%||7.749%|
|2||July 14, 2019||7.633%||8.857%|
|3||July 20, 2019||8.281%||9.478%|
|4||July 21, 2019||7.736%||9.024%|
|5||July 27, 2019||7.023%||7.883%|
|6||July 28, 2019||8.701%||9.949%|
|7||August 3, 2019||8.052%||8.772%|
|8||August 4, 2019||9.131%||10.469%|
|9||August 10, 2019||8.349%||10.266%|
|10||August 11, 2019||10.009%||11.779%|
|11||August 17, 2019||8.590%||9.746%|
|12||August 18, 2019||10.407%||12.178%|
|13||August 24, 2019||8.750%||9.892%|
|14||August 25, 2019||9.995%||11.986%|
|15||August 31, 2019||9.892%||11.255%|
|16||September 1, 2019||12.001%||13.875%|
- Malaysia, Singapore – tvN Asia
- Singapore – Viu
- Indonesia – Viu
- Thailand - Viu
- Philippines – Viu, ABS-CBN (November 18, 2019 – January 24, 2020) 
- India – Viki, Brazil, wetv, Zee TV, Zee Tamil, Zee Bangla
- Vietnam – TBD
- Myanmar - Sky Net (လရောင်ဆမ်းမှပွင့်မယ့်ပန်း tilted)
- Hong Kong - ViuTV
- Worldwide, except South Korea and Brazil – Netflix 
- Peru - Willax (2020)
On June 24, 2020, Studio Dragon announced that it would co-produce an American remake of Hotel del Luna with Skydance. Alison Schapker will be in charge of developing and producing the series. She will be working with Miky Lee, Jinnie Choi and Hyun Park of Studio Dragon, and David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Bill Bost of Skydance Television.
Awards and nominations
|2019||12th Korea Drama Awards||Best Original Soundtrack||"All About You" (Taeyeon)||Nominated|||
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Jung Dong-hwan||Won|||
|21st Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)||Won|||
|"So Long" (Paul Kim)||Nominated|
|2nd Asian Academy Creative Awards||Best Drama Series - Regional||Hotel del Luna||Won|||
|11th Melon Music Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)||Won|||
|8th Korea First Brand Awards||Best Actress||IU||Won|||
|2020||34th Golden Disc Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)||Won|||
|29th Seoul Music Awards||OST Award||"All About You" (Taeyeon)||Won|||
|"Lean on Me" (10cm)||Nominated|
|"Can You See My Heart?" (Heize)||Nominated|
|"Remember Me" (Gummy)||Nominated|
|"So Long" (Paul Kim)||Nominated|
|56th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||IU||Nominated|||
- Yeo, Ye-rim (March 7, 2019). "IU, Yeo Jin-goo cast in tvN drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Shim, Eon-gyeong (March 6, 2019). "아이유X여진구, '호텔 델루나' 출연 확정…기대되는 '믿보배' 조합 [공식입장]". OSEN (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Lee, Jae-lim (July 9, 2019). "Welcome to 'Hotel Del Luna,' have a spooky stay". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved July 11, 2019.
- ""Hotel Del Luna" Has Great Send-Off With New Personal Best In Ratings For Final Episode". Soompi. September 2, 2019.
- Park, Sae-jin (March 6, 2019). "Singer IU to take main role in new cable TV mystery drama 'Hotel Deluna'". Aju Daily. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Go, Seung-ah (March 14, 2019). "[N인터뷰] 여진구 "'왕남'은 1등 인생작, 나만의 고집 만들어준 작품이죠"(종합)". News1 (in Korean). Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Kim, Hyun-jung (April 6, 2019). "[단독] 구구단 미나, '호텔 델루나' 출연…연기돌의 꽃길 행보". Xports News (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Yoo, Chung-hee (March 29, 2019). "조현철, '호텔 델루나' 출연…아이유·여진구와 호흡". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- Nam, Jae-ryon (July 11, 2019). "'호텔 델루나' 측 "오지호 특별 출연. 이지은·여진구 연결고리 돼줄 인물"". Sports Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Jeon, Hyo-jin (July 20, 2019). "'호텔델루나' 이준기·이시언, 특별출연…여진구 전 지배인 후보군". Sports Donga (in Korean). Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Shin, Mi-rae (July 28, 2019). "'호텔델루나' 김준현X이이경, 오늘(28일) 특별출연...이지은·여진구와 강렬 케미". MBN (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Hong, Shin-ik (July 29, 2019). "표예진, '호텔 델루나' 특별 출연 인증샷 "팬입니다"". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Kim, Won-hee (August 5, 2019). "박진주, '호텔 델루나' 상상이 만들어낸 상념귀신…경아역 특별출연". Sports Khan (in Korean). Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- Yu, Byung-chul (August 12, 2019). "남다름, '호텔 델루나' 특별출연 '빠져드는 눈빛'". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Moon, Ji-yeon (August 11, 2019). "설리, 오늘(11일) '호텔 델루나' 특별출연..아이유 지원사격". News Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- No, Kyu-min (August 14, 2019). "서은수 '호텔 델루나' 특별출연···설리 이어 11회 '등장'". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Tae, Yu-na (August 19, 2019). "'호텔 델루나' 이승준X소희정, 한의사 부부로 특별출연...존재감+여운 다 잡았다". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- "[단독] 김수현, '호텔델루나' 피날레 장식…아이유와 특급의리". n.news.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- Jeong, Su-yeon (July 15, 2019). "'호텔 델루나' OST 히트 프로듀서 송동운 참여…'그리운 마음 애절하게 담아'". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Lee, Min-ji (July 20, 2019). "십센치, 오늘(20일) '호텔 델루나' OST 공개…아련 감성 발라드 예고". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Kim, Na-gyeong (July 21, 2019). "'음원퀸' 태연, 오늘(21일) '호텔 델루나' OST '그대라는 시' 공개". Hei Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Park, Mi-ra (July 27, 2019). "양다일, '호텔 델루나' OST 네 번째 주자 출격…'너만 너만 너만' 공개". Hei Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Kim, Su-young (July 29, 2019). "'호텔 델루나', OST 역사 새로 쓴다…태연부터 헤이즈까지 '흥행 돌풍'". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- Kim, Ju-hyeon (August 3, 2019). "'음원퀸' 청하, '호텔 델루나' OST 참여... '그 끝에 그대' 가창". BEFF Report (in Korean). Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Yu, Byeong-chul (August 1, 2019). "'OST 퀸' 거미, '호텔 델루나' OST 참여". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- Kim, Hyun-sik (August 5, 2019). "[단독] 레드벨벳, '호텔 델루나' OST 황금 라인업 합류". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Kim, Han-na (August 11, 2019). "벤, '호텔 델루나' OST '내 목소리 들리니' 오늘(11일) 공개…감성 폭발 예고". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Yu, Byeong-chul (August 13, 2019). "폴킴, '호텔 델루나' OST '안녕' 음원차트 올킬". Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Kim, Na-gyeong (August 17, 2019). "송하예, 오늘(17일) '호텔 델루나' OST 'Say Goodbye' 공개". Hei Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Park, S (August 19, 2019). "Watch: IU Sings Special OST For "Hotel Del Luna" + No Plans For Official Release". Soompi. Retrieved September 2, 2019.
- "2019 Week 34 Digital Chart". August 18–24, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- "2019 Week 30 Digital Chart". July 21–27, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- "2019 Week 31 Digital Chart". July 28 – August 3, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- "2019 Week 32 Digital Chart". August 4–10, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- "2019 Week 33 Digital Chart". August 11–17, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- "2019 Week 35 Digital Chart". gaonchart.co.kr (in Korean). August 25–31, 2019. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- "Nielsen Korea". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved August 25, 2020.
- "Nielsen Korea". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved August 25, 2020.
- "HOTEL DEL LUNA". tvN Asia. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "HOTEL DEL LUNA". viu singapore. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- "Hotel Del Luna Teaser: Coming Soon on ABS-CBN!". ABS-CBN Entertainment YouTube Channel. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- "HOTEL DEL LUNA". www.viki.com. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- @OH_mes2 (Nov 1, 2019). "Hotel Del Luna will be available worldwide, except Korea, on Netflix starting later today" (Tweet). Retrieved November 1, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Lee, Gyu-lee (June 24, 2020). "TV series 'Hotel del Luna' to be remade in US". The Korea Times. Retrieved June 30, 2020.
- Lim, Jang-won (June 24, 2020). "Remake of 'Hotel del Luna' coming to the US". The Korea Herald. Retrieved June 30, 2020.
- "'2019코리아드라마어워즈(KDA)' 연기대상 후보..김해숙·최수종·염정아·조정석 등". Sedaily (in Korean). September 27, 2019.
- Park, Pan-suk (October 2, 2019). "'하나뿐인내편' 최수종, 2019 코리아드라마 어워즈 대상 영예[공식]". Osen (in Korean). Archived from the original on December 22, 2019. Retrieved May 15, 2020 – via Naver.
- "Winners of 2019 Mnet Asian Music Awards". December 4, 2019.
- "2nd Asian Academy Creative Awards 2019 Regional Winners". www.asianacademycreativeawards.com. November 19, 2019.
- "Winners Of The Melon Music Awards 2019". December 1, 2019.
- "Winners Of Korean First Brand Award" (in Korean). December 18, 2019.
- "Winners And Results Of "The 34th Golden Disc Awards (GDA) 2020"". Kpopmap. 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-01-10.
- "29th Seoul Music Awards Announces Nominees + Voting Begins". Soompi. December 9, 2019. Retrieved 2019-12-09.
- MacDonald, Joan (May 8, 2020). "Baeksang Arts Awards Announces Nominees And Plans To Proceed Without An Audience". Forbes. Retrieved May 8, 2020.