Wikipedia:On this day/Today
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1295 – The first treaty forming the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France against England was signed in Paris.
- 1850 – The inaugural National Women's Rights Convention, presided over by American activist Paulina Kellogg Wright Davis, began in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- 1906 – Alberto Santos-Dumont flew his biplane 14-bis (depicted) for 50 metres (160 ft) at a height of about four metres (13 ft).
- 1934 – Jeannette Piccard piloted a hot-air balloon flight that reached 57,579 feet (17,550 m), becoming the first woman to fly in the stratosphere.
- 1956 – The Hungarian Revolution began as a peaceful student demonstration that attracted thousands while marching through central Budapest to the parliament building.