The Red Death
The Red Death
|Origin||Bath, New York, United States|
|Labels||Metal Blade (2005-2006)|
Ferret Music (2007-2008)
|Past members||Paul Hamblin|
Brian Van Gelder
Formed in 2002 after the demise of Another Day Forgotten by singer Paul Hamblin, guitarist Josh Williammee, and drummer Graham Mitchell, the original lineup was rounded out by guitarist Brian VanGelder and bassist Karl Janovec. In 2003 Bryan left the band and was replaced by Nate Golia, a guitarist from nearby Rochester, NY, formerly of another metal band, Warblade. That summer they embarked on their first short tour, with Virginia screamo band Shadows and the Silence (whose bass player, a Bath native, Dominic Mastronunzino, would replace Karl Janovec the following summer). While on a three-week tour with New Jersey's With Resistance, the band began speaking with Metal Blade Records and signed with them the following fall; however, Nate left the band to concentrate on school and was replaced by Aaron Conti, formerly of If Hope Dies. After signing to Metal Blade, the band embarked on several extended, full-U.S. tours with bands such as From a Second Story Window, The Acacia Strain, Undying, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Arsis, and Into the Moat. Their first album External Frames of Reference was released in 2005 by the Metal Blade label. In 2006 they were dropped by Metal Blade Records.
With a new bassist (Jordan Rathbun), the band recorded a new demo for prospective labels. They were signed by UK record label Siege of Amida. In a distribution deal with Ferret Records, Siege of Amida released The Red Death's second and final full-length CD, titled "Godmakers" in early 2008. That summer the band decided to call it quits. Their "final" show was Halloween night (2008) at The Little Pickle in Bath, NY. The Red Death reunited for a single show on Halloween night 2009 at the Half Penny Pub in Syracuse, NY.
- Paul Hamblin - vocals (2002-2008)
- Aaron Conti - guitar (2002-2008)
- Graham Mitchell - drums (2002-2008)
- Mark Kelley - guitar (2007-2008)
- Jordan Rathbun - bass (2007-2008)
- Joshua Williammee - guitar, bass
- Bryan VanGelder - guitar
- Nate Golia - guitar
- Dominic Mastronunzino - bass
- Jed Shugars - bass
- Jackson Portwood - bass (2005)
- Karl Janovec - bass
- Aftertaste of the Emaciated (EP, Crooked Halo Records, 2004)
- External Frames of Reference (Album, Metal Blade Records, 2005)
- Godmakers (Album, Ferret Music, 2008)
- Biography by James Christopher Monger. "The Red Death | Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 2020-03-01.
- Sharpe-Young, Garry (March 2, 2005). New Wave of American Heavy Metal. Zonda Books Limited. ISBN 9780958268400 – via Google Books.
- "THE RED DEATH Sign With METAL BLADE RECORDS". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. December 19, 2004.
- "Tours: Embrace Today touring with The Banner, The Red Death, Since the Flood and Cannae". www.punknews.org.
- "Red Death - Formidable Darkness". www.punknews.org.
- "THE RED DEATH 'Dropped' By METAL BLADE RECORDS". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. February 10, 2006.
- "THE RED DEATH Calls It Quits". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. September 11, 2008.
- "The Red Death - discography, line-up, biography, interviews, photos". www.spirit-of-metal.com.