This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work.
This article has been viewed 121,176 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to install the Windows Movie Maker program on your Windows 10 computer. While Microsoft's official support of Windows Movie Maker and other Windows Essentials programs ended in 2012, you can still download and install Windows Movie Maker.
1Download the Windows Live Essentials setup file. Go to this website to begin downloading the setup file.
- This page is largely blank, and it may take several seconds to a minute before the file is downloaded.
2Open the setup file. Double-click the wlsetup-all file in your computer's default downloads location to open it.
3Click when prompted. This will open the Windows Essentials installation window.
4Click . It's at the top of the page. Most of the Windows Essentials programs aren't compatible with Windows 10, but you can install Windows Movie Maker by clicking this option.
5Click . It is in the bottom-left corner of the window. You should see a percentage and a progress bar appear, as well as information telling you what program is installing.
6Wait for Windows Movie Maker to install. The first program to install will most likely be Windows Movie Maker. Wait for this program to finish installing; when you see the program name switch to a different program (e.g., "Mail"), you can proceed.
8Type in windows movie maker. This will search your computer for the now-installed Windows Movie Maker app.
10Click . This option is in the bottom-right corner of the window. Movie Maker should open after you do this.
- If clicking Accept doesn't open Movie Maker, re-open Start, type movie maker back in, and click the Movie Maker result again.
- Don't close the installation window before opening Movie Maker.
11Close the Windows Essentials installation. When the installation window pops up with an error message, just click Close and confirm the decision when prompted. You can now proceed to use Windows Movie Maker.Advertisement
QuestionIs this safe? The download, I mean.Community AnswerIt is 100% absolutely safe. Windows Movie Maker is a very good app, and is registered by Windows. I've never heard of anyone having issues with safety while downloading it.
- As Windows 10 continues to update and evolve, you may find that Windows Movie Maker will freeze or become unresponsive. Make sure to save regularly.
- Windows Movie Maker is no longer supported by Microsoft, so security issues and bugs won't be fixed. You might want to consider using Story Remix instead.
About This Article
1. Download Windows Live Essentials from Microsoft's archive.
2. Double-click the setup file.
3. Click Yes.
4. Click Install all of Windows Essentials (recommended) to install.
5. Click the Start menu.
6. Type "windows movie maker."
7. Click Movie Maker.
8. Click Accept.