The 7th Wildlife Film Festival Rotterdam (WFFR) will take place from 26 – 31 October 2021. The festival focuses on the screening of wildlife, environment, sustainability, climate change and conservation documentaries.
WFFR welcomes independent filmmakers, new or established broadcasters, film and television production companies/distributors from anywhere in the world to participate in our strong international competition.
We encourage filmmakers to join us at the festival for talks, interviews, Q&A’s and the Award Ceremony. During the festival there is plenty of time for filmmakers to meet each other and our audience. Filmmakers can receive complimentary hotel loging, a compensation of their travel expenses and free access to all festival related events and screenings (see below for the conditions).
The 2021 festival will take place during six days in beautiful Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The festival programme offers 120+ public screenings and events at various venues in the city centre. We will be screening all of our Official Selections at Cinerama Movie Theatre in Rotterdam. WFFR also takes place online.
In 2021, WFFR will recognise outstanding achievements in 12 Flamingo Award categories. The winners will be announced during the Flamingo Award Ceremony on Saturday 30 October 2021. Your entry will automatically compete for either Best Film / Best Short Film (< 30 min) and the Audience Award.
- Green Impact
- Animal Behaviour
- Van Lawick Conservation
- People & Nature
- Independent Production
- Science in Nature
New entries can be submitted via this site only during the period from 1 February until 1 May 2021. All eligible submissions will be reviewed by our selection committee that decides which movies will be selected for screening and nominated for our Flamingo Awards. A jury will decide which films will be awarded in the different categories during the Award Ceremony.
On 15 August 2021 at the latest, the selected finalists will be informed if their film has been selected to be screened at the festival and if their film is nominated for one of our Flamingo Awards.
WFFR promotes all selected films in the weeks leading up to the festival. Filmmakers of selected films (or their representatives) are asked to give a Q&A after the screening(s) in the theatre or in an interview that will be used online.
Filmmakers or representatives of selected films receive:
- Complimentary hotel lodging during the festival days (for two people)
- The ability to market your film with the WFFR official selection logo and, if nominated for an award, an award logo.
- Two festival passes with free access to all screenings.
- Free admission (for two people) to all festival related events, including Opening Night Reception, workshops, drinks and the Flamingo Award Ceremony.
- Opportunity to engage in a Q&A session with the audience each time your film is screened
Nominated filmmakers or filmmakers participating in our daily Talks program receive a compensation of their travel expenses.
[All of the above applies on the condition that the applicable social distancing restrictions allow the organization and accessibility of the event or the specific part mentioned.]
• Registration for Wildlife Film Festival Rotterdam 2021 is free.
• The film must have an aspect of the natural world as the central focus or critical and informative offerings on the environment, sustainability, climate change or conservation and be completed on or after January 1st, 2019.
• By submitting the film, entrants grant consent to screen the film by WFFR during the festival, without any right to royalties or screening fees.
• WFFR will stream the film on the online festival site within the following parameters: The selected films will be streamed during or around the period that the festival takes place. The streaming will be geoblocked and restricted to visitors based in the Netherlands only.
• Films can be entered in multiple categories. Films in languages other than English or Dutch are welcome but must be subtitled or dubbed into English. WFFR is allowed to subtitle the film in Dutch or to provide it with a Dutch voice-over. If requested, filmmaker shall provide WFFR with the transcript(s) of the film.
• The production must be submitted to WFFR by the producer or distributor of the film or their authorised representative. By submitting the film you guarantee that all production/distribution partners agreed to the submission and this rules and terms, and that you have obtained all clearances for screening. You certify that the work is original and that there exists no disputes regarding ownership with the film.
• WFFR has the right to edit the submitted information for publication and promotional materials.
• WFFR is allowed to use the film, stills, trailer and information provided for (promotional) WFFR related activities prior to or after the festival.
• No film may be withdrawn from the festival programme after it has been selected for screening. WFFR has the right to alter the length and date of the festival, cancel Award categories and cancel or reschedule the festival without any liability towards the entrants.
• You agree to indemnify and hold harmless WFFR, its judges, sponsors and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities, and expenses, including legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims, arising out of the submission to and exhibition of your film and corresponding material at WFFR, including the online festival. The competition and these terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Netherlands and the court of Rotterdam, Netherlands shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any disputes arising therefrom.