orange livebox wireless problems - help — Digital Spy

orange livebox wireless problems - help

cadamcadam Posts: 318
Forum Member
My neighbour has been sent a livebox when he said he was going to change ISP.
He has set it up on a pc which connects fine.
But his laptop won't connect. He has been through it with Orange Support - who drew a blank! and blamed the laptop!!
I went round with my laptop and have the same problem.
We can 'see' the router when scanning for wi-fi, it asks for WEP key/passphrase - which as Orange say is the number on the bottom of the livebox.
But it doesn't work?? I opened 192.168.1.1 and it is correct.
I'm sure it must be something simple!! :confused:

Comments

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you put the Livebox in pairing mode?
  • cadamcadam Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Crab Paste wrote: »
    Did you put the Livebox in pairing mode?

    Yes he said he'd done that, Orange had talked him through that.
    I'm pretty sure when i logged onto pc it said it was too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    cadam wrote: »
    My neighbour has been sent a livebox when he said he was going to change ISP.
    He has set it up on a pc which connects fine.
    But his laptop won't connect. He has been through it with Orange Support - who drew a blank! and blamed the laptop!!
    I went round with my laptop and have the same problem.
    We can 'see' the router when scanning for wi-fi, it asks for WEP key/passphrase - which as Orange say is the number on the bottom of the livebox.
    But it doesn't work?? I opened 192.168.1.1 and it is correct.
    I'm sure it must be something simple!! :confused:

    Try this, it's worked for me every time:
    Log onto the Livebox with your PC connected by an ethernet cable (address http://192.168.1.1/). Turn off all security. Press the pairing button on the Livebox. Within 10 minutes, connect your laptop by wireless. Turn on WEP security on your Livebox. Reboot your laptop, press the pairing button again and connect your laptop by wireless. Enter your WEP key when prompted. Please let me know.
  • cadamcadam Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    doogal4 wrote: »
    Try this, it's worked for me every time:
    Log onto the Livebox with your PC connected by an ethernet cable (address http://192.168.1.1/). Turn off all security. Press the pairing button on the Livebox. Within 10 minutes, connect your laptop by wireless. Turn on WEP security on your Livebox. Reboot your laptop, press the pairing button again and connect your laptop by wireless. Enter your WEP key when prompted. Please let me know.

    Thanks, I'll get back to you...
  • cadamcadam Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    doogal4 wrote: »
    Try this, it's worked for me every time:
    Log onto the Livebox with your PC connected by an ethernet cable (address http://192.168.1.1/). Turn off all security. Press the pairing button on the Livebox. Within 10 minutes, connect your laptop by wireless. Turn on WEP security on your Livebox. Reboot your laptop, press the pairing button again and connect your laptop by wireless. Enter your WEP key when prompted. Please let me know.

    Kind of sorted...

    Laptop #1 Windows XP - connected with security

    Laptop #2 Windows Vista - NOT connected with security

    We followed the instructions above and got connected, however when we tried it with a new Acer One Notebook with Vista it didn't work.
    It connects to the Live Box, but when the security is put back on it will not connect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters having security turned off because no 'alien' PCs can connect to the Livebox unless the pairing button is pressed when they are in the process of hacking in.
    (Unless anyone knows different?)
  • cadamcadam Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    doogal4 wrote: »
    I don't think it matters having security turned off because no 'alien' PCs can connect to the Livebox unless the pairing button is pressed when they are in the process of hacking in.
    (Unless anyone knows different?)

    Ah yes that makes sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    When people see unsecured networks they try connecting if they can! Although it's harder with the Livebox's pairing mode, sometimes pairing mode can come on if the Livebox resets or is turned off and on, so if in the 10 minutes (you can change this) it's in pairing mode, other people can connect. Sometimes by accident.

    My advice would be to try changing the security to WPA only. That usually fixes it (I used to work for Orange). You might have to re-enter the WEP key on both laptops.
Sign In or Register to comment.

DIGITAL SPY, PART OF THE HEARST UK ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK

©2020 Hearst UK is the trading name of the National Magazine Company Ltd, 30 Panton Street, Leicester Square, London, SW1Y 4AJ. Registered in England. All Rights Reserved.