New Ulaanbaatar International Airport
New Ulaanbaatar International Airport
Улаанбаатар хотын олон улсын шинэ нисэх онгоцны буудал
Rendering of the proposed look
|Owner||Government of Mongolia|
|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia|
|Elevation AMSL||1,366 m / 4,482 ft|
This article needs to be updated.August 2020)(
The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport (Mongolian: Улаанбаатар хотын олон улсын шинэ нисэх онгоцны буудал) (IATA: UBN, ICAO: ZMCK), or the Khöshig Valley Airport (Mongolian: Хөшигийн хөндийн нисэх буудал) is a new international airport presently under construction 52 km south of Ulaanbaatar city center in Sergelen sum, Töv Province, Mongolia. It will serve Ulaanbaatar and its metropolitan area.
The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport is designed with a capacity of up to three million passengers per year, and has sufficient space for a possible future expansion, making it potentially capable of serving twelve million passengers annually. It will also be equipped with a 24-hour all-weather air traffic control system. The average annual number of passengers is estimated to be around 2.5 million. In comparison, the current airport (Buyant-Ukhaa International Airport, the largest airport in Mongolia) serves about 900,000 passengers per year (2011 figures). Cargo capacity is set to increase ten-fold.
Initial planning for the new airport was done in 2006 with Japanese assistance.
In May 2008, a ¥28.8 billion (US$385 million) 40-year soft loan agreement at 0.2% interest was signed between the Government of Mongolia and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation to build a new international airport. The loan requires that the project is to be carried out by Japanese Consultants and Contractors however the materials and equipment the Contractors use can be up to 70% from any country. Between 2009 and 2011, Azusa Sekkei and Oriental Consultants Joint Venture made the design and bid documentation for the airport. In 2011, a call for bids was announced for the construction of the airport, with the Mitsubishi-Chiyoda Joint Venture (MCJV) successful in the Technical Bidding. An extended Price review and Contract negotiation was completed on 10 May 2013 when the main construction contract was signed between MCJV and the Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia.
The final amount of loans from the Japanese Government for the development of the airport totaled ¥65.6 billion (US$600 million), to be paid over 40 years.
This section needs to be updated.August 2020)(
The project was begun with a ground breaking ceremony. Taking place on 22 April 2012, the first work started was a site flood protection scheme. Other works under way were the construction of the electric power line from Nalaikh.
Construction started in May 2013, and was finished in January 2017, the flights will commence in May 2018. The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Construction Project Steering Committee visited the project construction work site on 11 September 2013 to see the progress of construction work. The concrete pouring work for the control tower started on 13 September 2013.
On 29 January 2013, the airport's electric substation construction was completed and connected to the Mongolian central grid. The end of the main construction activities was on January 2017, with the Japanese side handing over the project to the Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia.
Future Airlines and destinations
The airport is connected to the highway to the capital. Moreover, on June 2016, Aeroexpress, the airport rail link company, made a decision to build the first international route from Ulaanbaatar city center to the airport using railbuses, differently compared to the current other Aeroexpress rail routes. The first stage is due to finish in 2017 and full completion is planned in 2030.
The construction project name for the airport is the New Ulaanbaatar International Airport or NUBIA. Alternative names given in the media include Chinggis Khaan International Airport, Khöshig Valley International Airport, Khöshig International Airport and Ulaanbaatar Khöshig International Airport.
- Temporary names
- "en". NUBIA | New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Project. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "Японцы построят в Монголии аэропорт (АвиаПорт)". АвиаПорт.Ru. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "Japan ODA Loan for Mongolia". JICA. Retrieved 2 May 2008.
- "Mongolia starts to build new int'l airport". China Daily. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- gogo.mn Archived 2012-12-29 at the Wayback Machine Хөшигийн нисэх буудлыг "Мицубиши Чиёодо" барина
- "Khushigt Valley Airport will be operational in 2016". UB Post. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Б, Бямбасүрэн (2018-08-21). "ТАНИЛЦ: Онцлох бүтээн байгуулалт буюу ШИНЭ НИСЭХ БУУДЛЫН ажлын явц". Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Б, Билгүүн (2017-07-19). "Хөшигийн хөндийн онгоцны буудал 2018 оны наймдугаар сард ашиглалтад орно". Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Ulaanbaatar airport". Jan 7, 2013. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Monument of famous Mongolian poet to occupy Lenin's empty place". www.magnificentmongolia.com. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "Ulaanbaatar to Have New International Airport". Archived from the original on October 30, 2013. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "Construction Begins on New Airport" (PDF). Mongol Messenger. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "New Airport Started". Infomongolia.com. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "NUBIA | New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Project". Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "NUBIA | New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Project". NUBIA | New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Project. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- Б, Манлай. "ФОТО: Хөшигийн хөндийн ХУРДНЫ замыг барьж эхэллээ". 2016-05-06. Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Liu, Jim. "Air China adds Hohhet – Ulan Baatar service from mid-Sep 2019". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim (12 March 2019). "Angara schedules Irkutsk – Ulan Baatar summer service from May 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "Asiana Airlines adds Mongolia service from July 2019". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim. "Eznis Airways schedules Hong Kong launch in June 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- Liu, Jim (15 June 2017). "Hunnu Air adds new Russian routes in June 2017". Routesonline. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Возобновление рейса - Улан-Удэ-Улан-Батор-Улан-Удэ!". CJSC "IrAero" Airlines. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- miat.com - Route map retrieved 26 October 2020
- Liu, Jim (5 August 2019). "Tianjin Airlines plans Tianjin – Ulan Baatar flights from Aug 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- Liu, Jim (28 October 2019). "Turkish Airlines Mongolia service adjustment from Jan 2020". Routesonline. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "В Монголии построят новую железную дорогу между столицей и аэропортом". asiarussia.ru. Retrieved Feb 18, 2019.
- "Project Web Site". MCAA. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "facebook site". MCAA.