List of Hebrew dictionaries
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Modern Hebrew dictionaries for native speakers
- Even-Shoshan Dictionary, compiled by Avraham Even-Shoshan, originally published in 1948-1953 as מילון חדש (Hebrew for "New Dictionary").
- מילון בן-יהודה, the first modern Hebrew dictionary, compiled by Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, whose first volumes were published in 1908.
- מילון ההווה, compiled by two members of the Academy of the Hebrew Language, edited in the present tense method, published in 1995, and reprinted in 2007.
- מילון ספיר (Sapir Dictionary)
- רב-מילים, originally developed by the Israeli Center for Educational Technology, first published in 1997, including both a printed version and an electronic one. Currently maintained by Melingo.
Historical Hebrew dictionaries
- Historical Dictionary Project of the Hebrew Language, a research project of the Academy of the Hebrew Language.
Historical and scholarly Hebrew translation dictionaries
Prior to the 16th century
- Agron, a 10th century lexicographical reference book by Saadia Gaon, including Arabic word translations.
- Kitāb Jāmiʿ al-Alfāẓ ("The Book of Collected Meanings"), a 10th century Hebrew-Aramaic-Arabic dictionary by David ben Abraham al-Fasi
- De Rudimentis Hebraicis, ("The fundamentals of Hebrew"), first published in 1506 by Johann Reuchlin, on the Hebrew grammer, including a Hebrew-Latin lexicon
- אוֹצַר לְשׁוֹן הַקֹּדֶשׁ, Thesaurus Linguae Sanctae, sive Lexicon Hebraicum, ("Treasury of the sacred language, or Hebrew lexicon"), first published in 1529 by Santes Pagnino, a Hebrew Latin dictionary.
- Shemot Devarim, a Yiddish-Hebrew-Latin-German dictionary written by Elia Levita and published by Paul Fagius in 1542 in Isny
- Hebräisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch über die Schriften des Alten Testaments mit Einschluß der geographischen Nahmen und der chaldäischen Wörter beym Daniel und Esra (Hebrew-German Hand Dictionary on the Old Testament Scriptures including Geographical Names and Chaldean Words, with Daniel and Ezra), by Wilhelm Gesenius, published in 1810/1812
- A Hebrew, Latin and English Dictionary; containing all the Hebrew and Chaldee Words used in the Old Testament, by Joseph Samuel Christian Frederick Frey, published 1815 by Gale and Fenner, Paternoster-Row
- Lexicon Hebraicum et Chaldaicum cum brevi Lexico Rabbinico Philosophico, a Hebrew and Chaldean lexicon by Johannes Buxtorf, published in 1607, reprinted in Glasgow, 1824.
- Neues Hebräisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch über das Alte Testament mit Einschluß des biblischen Chaldaismus ("New Hebrew-German hand dictionary on the Old Testament including Chaldean words"), by Wilhelm Gesenius, originally published in Leipzig in 1815. Also available as a digitized version of the 16th edition, 1915 and 18th edition reprint, from Springer Verlag, Berlin 2008, ISBN 3-540-78599-X
- Strong's Concordance, a Bible concordance first published in 1890, that indexes every word in the King James Version, including the 8674 Biblical Hebrew root words used in the Old Testament, and includes a Hebrew English dictionary.
- Steinberg O.N. (Father to the soviet composer of classical music Maximilian Osseyevich Steinberg): Jewish and Chaldean etymological dictionary to Old Testament books. T. 1-3. Vilna: Type. L. L. Matza, 1878-1881. (A Biblical hebrew dictionary in the Russian language) Штейнберг О. Н. Еврейский и халдейский этимологический словарь к книгам Ветхого Завета. Т. 1–3. Вильна: тип. Л. Л. Маца, 1878– 1881.
- Brown–Driver–Briggs, A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament, first published in 1906.
- Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti libros, a scholarly translation dictionary, consisting of "Ludwig Koehler - Dictionary of the Hebrew Old Testament in English and German", and "Walter Baumgartner - A Dictionary of the Aramaic parts of the Old Testament in English and German", published in 1953.
- Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, an English-only version, with updates, of the Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti libros, published 1994-2000.
Modern Hebrew translation dictionaries
- מלון ערבי עברי ללשון הערבית החדשה - قاموس عربي - عبري للغة العربية العصرية ("Arabic-Hebrew Dictionary of Modern Arabic"), compiled by David Ayalon, Pessach Shinar and Moshe Brill, published by the Hebrew University, 1978
- Babylon, a computer dictionary and translation program.
- מורפיקס, an online Hebrew English dictionary by Melingo.
- New Hebrew-German Dictionary: with grammatical notes and list of abbreviations, compiled by Wiesen, Moses A., published by Rubin Mass, Jerusalem, in 1936
- The modern Greek-Hebrew, Hebrew-Greek dictionary, compiled by Despina Liozidou Shermister, first published in 2018
- The Oxford English Hebrew dictionary, published in 1998 by the Oxford University Press.
- Markon, Isaac D. (1946). "The Hebrew Arabic Dictionary of the Bible of David al-Fāsī". The Jewish Quarterly Review. 37 (2): 199–207. doi:10.2307/1452076. JSTOR 1452076.
- De rudimentis hebraicis libri III at Google Books
- Thesaurus linguae sanctae sive lexicon hebraicum at Google Books
- Thesaurus linguae sanctae, sive lexicon hebraicum, Volume 1 - a 1614 reprint at Google Books
- Thesaurus linguae sanctae, sive lexicon hebraicum, Volume 2 - a 1614 reprint at Google Books
- Hebräisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch über die Schriften des Alten Testaments at Google Books
- A Hebrew, Latin and English Dictionary at Google Books
- Neues Hebräisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch über das Alte Testament at Google Books
- Defining Russia Musically: Historical and Hermeneutical Essays. Princeton University Press. 25 September 2000. p. 455. ISBN 0691070652. 9780691070650.
- Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti libros at Google Books
- The Hebrew and Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament at Google Books
- Neues hebräisch-deutsches Wörterbuch at Google Books