List of Philippine submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
The Philippines have submitted films for consideration for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film[nb 1] category of the Academy Awards since the inception of the category in 1956, when the Italian film La Strada won the honors. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
In the 26th Academy Awards (1953), the first Filipino film to be exhibited in the Venice Film Festival, Genghis Khan, was under contention for receipt of the Honorary Foreign Language Film award, the precursor to the current category.
From 1956 to the inception of the Film Academy of the Philippines in 1982, four films have been submitted for consideration by the Film Society of the Philippines, the Film Institute of the Philippines, the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences (FAMAS), and the Philippine Movie Producers Association, the four organizations that were responsible for doing so. Only four films were sent during those times because of certain technicalities that vetoed possible submissions out of the list.
Since 1982, the Film Academy has, on an irregular basis, sent submissions to the Academy Awards for that category.
- "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Jaucian, Don (23 February 2013). "Will the Philippines ever win an Oscar?". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "Why the Philippines has no Best Foreign Language Film Oscar Nomination". Ron Cruz, Film-Otaku. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Transit is PHL's entry for 86th Oscars". PhilStar. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Oscars: Philippines Select 'Norte, The End of History' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Philippines Sends 'Heneral Luna' To Battle for Foreign-Language Oscar". Variety. 21 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "'Ma' Rosa' is PH's entry to Oscars 2017". CNN Philippines. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "'Birdshot' is PH's Foreign Language Film entry to Oscars 2018". Rappler.com. 26 September 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn (26 September 2018). "Signal Rock is Philippine Foreign Language Film entry to Oscars 2019". PEP News. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- Scott, Mathew (19 September 2019). "Oscars: Philippines Submits 'Verdict' for International Feature Film Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 19 September 2019.