|Directed by||Daniel Petrie|
|Produced by||Ron Silverman|
|Written by||Ron Koslow|
|Music by||Dale Menten|
|Edited by||Art J. Nelson|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Lifeguard is a 1976 American drama film made by Paramount Pictures. It was directed by Daniel Petrie from a screenplay by Ron Koslow. It stars Sam Elliott, Anne Archer, Stephen Young, Parker Stevenson, and Kathleen Quinlan.
Rick Carlson, a 32-year-old lifeguard on a Southern California beach, is prompted to question his goals in life when he receives an invitation to his 15-year high school reunion. At this reunion, he meets his high-school sweetheart, Cathy, now the divorced mother of a young son. They resume their past relationship and Cathy encourages Rick to take a job as a Porsche salesman, offered to him by another high school classmate. Meanwhile, Rick must deal with Wendy, a lonely teenage girl who has developed a crush on him.
- Sam Elliott as Rick Carlson
- Anne Archer as Cathy
- Stephen Young as Larry
- Parker Stevenson as Chris
- Kathleen Quinlan as Wendy
- Steve Burns as Machine Gun (Harold)
- Sharon Weber as Tina
Elliott's parents were lifeguards and he had worked as a lifeguard himself. He was cast after Dan Petrie and his wife saw Elliott on TV in Frogs. The film was finished in August 1975 but held by Paramount until the next year. Elliott held off doing any TV in that time because he hoped the film would establish him in features. This did not happen. However Elliott always regarded the movie as a personal milestone. "Dan Petrie did a great job directing that movie; it was shot for something like only $900,000. Those were the days."
Part of the film was shot in Petrie's own home.
It was produced by Ted Mann.
Most of the lifeguard tower scenes were filmed at the Knob Hill and "Burnout" towers in the South Bay of Los Angeles.
- Baywatch, TV film and TV series starring David Hasselhoff, which also originally featured Parker Stevenson in the cast.
- Jay Bobbin Zap2it (Apr 9, 2006). "Movie star Elliott does action flick by the book". Journal–Gazette (Final ed.). p. 16W.
- "Lifeguard – film review". Variety. May 26, 1976
- Frankel, David (4 May 2012). "Cherishing Sun-Baked Cinema". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-09-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Metropolitan: Maggie Daly". Chicago Tribune. 10 June 1976. p. a10.
- Deans, Laurie (15 Mar 1985). "LA CLIPS Riding the waves to new success". The Globe and Mail. p. E.7.
- Berges, Marshall (30 July 1978). "home q&a: dorothea & dan petrie with persistence and talent they have fashioned careers out of a passion for drama home q&a home q&a home q&a". Los Angeles Times. p. q24.
- champlin, charles (Dec 5, 1975). "The Mann Behind Chinese". Los Angeles Times. p. h1.
- Lifeguard at IMDb
- Lifeguard at the TCM Movie Database
- Lifeguard at AllMovie
- Lifeguard at Rotten Tomatoes