Lovett or Leave It
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2019)
|Lovett or Leave It|
|Hosted by||Jon Lovett|
|Original release||March 2017– present|
Lovett or Leave It is a weekly podcast hosted by speechwriter and screenwriter Jon Lovett. It is produced by Lee Eisenberg and distributed by Crooked Media. The theme song is by the band Sure Sure. Lovett has described the show as a way to talk about politics in plain language and has called the discussion "very loose."
Lovett or Leave It is a live panel show, hosted by Jon Lovett, and with guests from journalism, comedy and politics. Topics in the news from the previous week are discussed by the panel, with a focus on U.S politics.
Pre-2020, the show would often open with an interview with a guest, often a Democratic politician, who doesn't join the panel discussion. Then-Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, former Mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa, actor Rainn Wilson, and South Bend, Indiana mayor and 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg have all been interviewed. Occasionally though, guests such as House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff stay on and join the panel.
The show has featured month-long themes including "Back in the Closet," "Homestretch," "Back in the Closet-Elect," and most recently, "Vax to the Future." Viewers have submitted song ideas to coincide with the various themes.
Transcripts of the show have been available to researchers upon request.
- "What a Week!" is the opening segment where the panel discusses the previous week's news.
- "OK, Stop", in which a clip of an interview or speech is played, and panelists can pause the clip to offer commentary about its content.
- "The Rant Wheel", in which a topic for discussion is chosen randomly from a set pre-selected by Lovett or suggested by the audience.
- "There's Just Like, So Much Going On", in which a topic that may not have received much news coverage is discussed.
- "Too Stupid to Be True", where a member of the audience tries to pick whether quotes offered by the panel are real or fake.
- "The Russia Stuff", a two-minute segment where the panel discusses the newest developments in the Trump-Russia investigation.
- "Gay News", in which Lovett and a guest deliver headlines and jokes related to LGBT celebrities and culture.
- "Lovett Or Leave It Archives". Crooked Media. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- "Obama's former speechwriter launches new podcast". iNews. March 22, 2017. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Podcaster Jon Lovett aims to deliver a tonic for our troubled times". Washington Post. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- Verdier, Hannah (March 30, 2017). "Lovett or Leave It: the Pod Save America crew take the political panel show and make it funny". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Delay on? On delay". Crooked Media. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- "Going HAMptons on Partisanship". Crooked Media. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- "Do not make beet jokes to Rainn Wilson". Metro US. July 18, 2017. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Moscow Mules and Piña Colludas". Crooked Media. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- "We impeached him". Crooked Media. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- "Lovett or Leave It – Crooked Media". Crooked Media. March 16, 2017. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Lovett Or Leave It Archives". Crooked Media. Crooked Media. Retrieved April 22, 2021.
- Chelsey, A. (October 2021). Is There a Transcript? Mapping Access in the Multimodal Designs of Popular Podcasts. In The 39th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication (pp. 46–53).