stars who died | Kterrl's Favorites | Page 3

Just another weblog

Posts tagged “stars who died

Sergei Ostapchuk,Belarusian, died from a plane crash he was 21.


Sergei Igorevich Ostapchuk was an ice hockey player. He was playing with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) died from a plane crash he was  21..
Ostapchuk died on September 7, 2011 in the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster. The plane was carrying the Lokomotiv hockey team from Yaroslavl to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play against Dinamo Minsk in the 2011 season opening game of the KHL.

(March 3, 1990 – September 7, 2011)

Career statistics

Regular season and playoffs

Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2007–08 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl RSL 3 0 1 1 2
2008–09 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 61 29 34 63 40 5 1 3 4 20
2009–10 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 38 21 16 37 46 11 2 6 8 18
2009–10 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 8 0 0 0 4

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Karel Rachůnek,Czech, world champion, died from a plane crash he was 32.

Karel Rachůnek  was a Czech professional ice hockey player. Rachunek was the captain of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) when the team’s plane crashed on September 7, 2011 died from a plane crash he was 32.. He played eight seasons in North America in the National Hockey League (NHL). Rachunek was drafted in the ninth round, 229th overall, by the Ottawa Senators in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. Rachunek was the brother of Ivan Rachunek and Tomas Rachunek who have also played professional ice hockey.

(August 27, 1979 – September 7, 2011)

Early career

Rachunek played his junior hockey with AC ZPS Zlin Jr. of the Czech
Junior League from 1995 to 1997. In his rookie season in 1995–96,
Rachunek recorded eight goals and 19 points in 38 games. In his second
season with the club in 1996–97, Rachunek scored two goals and 13 points
in 27 games. In the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, the Ottawa Senators selected Rachunek in the ninth round, 229th overall.
In 1997–98, Rachunek moved to Zlin of the Czech Extraliga.
In his first season with the club, he scored a goal and three points in
27 games. In 1998–99, Rachunek improved his offensive numbers to three
goals and 12 points in 39 games, as well as accumulating 88 penalty
minutes, helping Zlin into the playoffs. In six playoff games, Rachunek
was held pointless.

Ottawa Senators

Rachunek made his North American debut with the Grand Rapids Griffins of the IHL in 1999–2000, which was the Ottawa Senators
top minor league affiliate. In 62 games with the Griffins, Rachunek had
six goals and 26 points, helping Grand Rapids earn a playoff berth. In
nine post-season games, Rachunek had five assists.
He also made his NHL debut with the Senators in 1999–2000. Rachunek made his debut on October 31, 1999, getting no points with 14:22 of ice time in the Senators 6–4 win over the Atlanta Thrashers. Rachunek appeared in six games with Ottawa, going pointless.
In 2000–01,
Rachunek made the Senators coming out of training camp. In his rookie
season, Rachunek appeared in 71 games, scoring three goals and 33
points, averaging nearly 21 minutes of ice time per game, helping the
Senators into the playoffs. Rachunek earned his first NHL point on
November 11, 2000, an assist on a goal by Magnus Arvedson in the Senators 4–3 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers. He would score his first NHL goal on January 16, 2001, scoring on Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jamie Storr in a 7–6 loss. Rachunek appeared in three playoff games, getting no points.
Rachunek missed 31 games in 2001–02 due to injuries. In 51 games with Ottawa, he scored three goals and 18 points. He then missed the playoffs due to injuries.
Rachunek missed the first part of the 2002–03 season due to a contract dispute, as he played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the RSL.
In nine games with Yaroslavl, Rachunek had three goals. On November 8,
2002, he resigned with the Ottawa Senators, and would appear in 58 games
with them, scoring four goals and 29 points. Rachunek then played in 17
playoff games with the Senators, scoring a goal and four points. He
scored his first playoff goal against Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils on May 17, 2003 in a 5–2 loss. Rachunek also played in six games with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL, earning two assists.
In 2003–04,
Rachunek played in 60 games with the Senators, scoring a goal and 17
points. His time with the Senators came to an end, as on March 9, 2004,
Ottawa traded Rachunek and Alexandre Giroux to the New York Rangers for Greg de Vries.

New York Rangers

Rachunek finished the 2003–04 season with the New York Rangers. He appeared in his first game with New York on March 12, 2004 against the Tampa Bay Lightning, as the Rangers lost 5–2. He scored his first goal and point as a Ranger on March 25, 2004, beating goaltender Tomas Vokoun of the Nashville Predators in a 4–2 loss. Rachunek finished the year playing in 12 games with the Rangers, scoring a goal and four points.

Orli Znojmo

With the 2004-05 NHL lockout cancelling the season, Rachunek signed with Orli Znojmo of the Czech Extraliga on September 6, 2004. In 21 games, he scored five goals and 11 points before becoming a free agent at the end of October.

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

On November 1, 2004, Rachunek returned to Lokomotiv Yaroslav of the RSL, where he first played during the 2002–03 season when he and the Ottawa Senators
could not agree to a contract. He finished the 2004–05 season with the
club, getting six goals and 14 points in 27 games. In the playoffs,
Rachunek had two goals in nine games.
Rather than return to the NHL
for the 2005–06 season, Rachunek decided to remain with Yaroslavl. In
45 games, Rachunek had 11 goals and 27 points. He was then held
pointless in two playoff games, however, Rachunek accumulated 29 penalty
minutes in those two games.

New York Rangers

Rachunek returned to the New York Rangers for the 2006–07
season. In 66 games, Rachunek had six goals and 26 points, helping the
team into the playoffs. In six playoff games, Rachunek had four assists.
After the season, Rachunek became a free agent.

New Jersey Devils

On July 3, 2007, the New Jersey Devils signed Rachunek for the 2007–08 season. Rachunek played in his first game as a Devil on October 4, 2007, earning no points in a 3–1 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning. He recorded his first point on October 8, 2007, an assist against his former team, the Ottawa Senators in a 4–2 loss. Rachunek scored his first goal with New Jersey on November 17, 2007, against Martin Biron of the Philadelphia Flyers
in a 6–2 win. Injuries cut his season short, as Rachunek appeared in
only 49 games, scoring four goals and 13 points. At the end of the
season, Rachunek was a free agent.

Dynamo Moscow

On August 31, 2008, Rachunek signed a contract with HC Dynamo Moscow of the KHL. In the 2008–09 season, Rachunek had nine goals and 32 points in 50 games. In 12 playoff games, Rachunek had four goals and eight points.
He returned to Dynamo Moscow for the 2009–10
season, where he scored 10 goals and 27 points in 52 games, helping the
club reach the post-season. In four playoff games, Rachunek had no

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

Rachunek returned to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, now in the KHL for the third time in the 2010–11
season. In 50 games with Yaroslavl, Rachunek had 11 goals and 46
points, as the team finished with the best record in the Tarasov
Division. In 18 playoff games, Rachunek had eight goals and 13 points.
He returned to the team for 2011–12, however, on September 7, 2011, Rachunek was killed in a plane crash.

International career

Medal record
Competitor for  Czech Republic
World Championships
Gold 2010 Cologne Ice hockey
Bronze 2011 Bratislava Ice hockey

Rachunek played with the Czech Republic national ice hockey team in various tournaments throughout his career. At the 1999 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Rachunek had a goal and four points in six games as the Czech Republic finished in seventh place.
At the 2009 IIHF World Championship held in Switzerland,
Rachunek had four assists in seven games, as the Czech Republic
finished in sixth place. Rachunek earned a spot on the team again for
the 2010 IIHF World Championship held in Germany, as he scored two goals and four points in nine games, helping the Czech Republic to the Gold Medal. Rachunek had an assist on the game winning goal in the Gold Medal game. At the 2011 IIHF World Championship held in Slovakia, Rachunek had a goal and three points in nine games, helping the Czech Republic to the Bronze Medal.


Rachůnek died on September 7, 2011 in a plane crash,
along with his entire Lokomotiv team, just outside Yaroslavl, Russia.
The team was on its way to their 2011–2012 season opener with the entire
team, coaching staff, and prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “everyone
from the main roster was on the plane plus four players from the youth
team.” The team was traveling to Minsk to play their opening game of the season.”[2]
It was during the takeoff, after the runway of 3km that the airplane
simply couldn’t get up high enough, according to reports the plane
reached a total altitude of 10–50 meters before hitting a pylon and
dropping to the left. Parts of the airplane spread in Volga, and others
on plain land, as it broke apart just before once again touching the

Career statistics

Note: GP = Games played, G = Goals, A = Assists, P =
Points, PIM = Penalty minutes, +/- = Plus/minus, S = Shots, S% =
Shooting percentage

Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM S S% GP G A Pts +/- PIM S S%
1997–98 HC ZPS-Barum Zlín Czech 27 1 2 3 n/a 16 n/a n/a
1998–99 HC ZPS-Barum Zlín Czech 39 3 9 12 n/a 88 n/a n/a 6 0 0 0 n/a 0 n/a n/a
1999–00 Ottawa Senators NHL 6 0 0 0 0 2 3 0.0
1999–00 Grand Rapids Griffins IHL 62 6 20 26 +18 64 92 6.5 9 0 5 5 +5 6 n/a n/a
2000–01 Ottawa Senators NHL 71 3 30 33 +17 60 77 3.9 3 0 0 0 −4 0 7 0.0
2001–02 Ottawa Senators NHL 51 3 15 18 +7 24 55 5.5
2002–03 Ottawa Senators NHL 58 4 25 29 +23 30 110 3.6 17 1 3 4 −5 14 21 4.8
2002–03 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl RSL 9 3 0 3 +5 8 n/a n/a
2002–03 Binghamton Senators AHL 6 0 2 2 +2 10 11 0.0
2003–04 Ottawa Senators NHL 60 1 16 17 +17 29 99 1.0
2003–04 New York Rangers NHL 12 1 3 4 −9 4 21 4.8
2004–05 HC JME Znojemští Orli Czech 21 5 6 11 −6 55 n/a n/a
2004–05 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl RSL 27 6 8 14 −3 69 n/a n/a 9 2 0 2 −4 6 n/a n/a
2005–06 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl RSL 47 11 20 31 +14 73 n/a n/a 2 0 0 0 −1 29 n/a n/a
2006–07 New York Rangers NHL 66 6 20 26 −9 38 99 6.1 6 0 4 4 −1 2 8 0.0
2007–08 New Jersey Devils NHL 47 4 9 13 +3 40 68 5.9
2008–09 Dynamo Moscow KHL 50 9 23 32 +19 85 120 7.5 12 4 4 8 +4 8 36 11.1
2009–10 Dynamo Moscow KHL 52 10 17 27 −5 74 157 6.4 4 0 0 0 −5 6 19 0.0
2010–11 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 50 11 35 46 +11 99 132 8.3 18 8 5 13 +11 10 68 11.8
NHL totals 371 22 118 140 +49 227 532 4.1 26 1 7 8 -10 16 36 2.8
KHL totals 152 30 75 105 +25 258 409 7.3 34 12 9 21 +10 24 123 9.8
RSL totals 83 20 28 48 +16 150 11 2 0 2 -5 35
CZE totals 87 9 17 26 159 16 0 0 0 0

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Kārlis Skrastiņš, Latvian, died from a plane crash he was 37.

Kārlis Skrastiņš was a Latvian professional ice hockey player. Skrastins was a member of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) and was on board the team plane which crashed on September 7, 2011 died from a plane crash he was 37.Skrastins played eleven seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) before joining Lokomotiv in 2011.

(July 9, 1974 – September 7, 2011)

Playing career

Skrastiņš was drafted by Nashville Predators with the 230th pick in the ninth round of 1998 NHL Entry Draft.[2] He played for Nashville for next five seasons until being traded to the Colorado Avalanche in 2003.[3] On February 8, 2007, he played in his 487th consecutive game to pass Tim Horton for the longest playing streak in NHL history for a defenceman.[4] Skrastiņš’ streak ended at 495 games, when he missed a February 25, 2007 game against the Anaheim Ducks with a knee injury.[5] He had previously missed only one other game due to injury in his career — against St. Louis on February 18, 2000, with a minor shoulder injury. The streak led to him being given the nickname “Ironman”.[6]
In his fourth season with the Avalanche in 2007–08, he was traded to the Florida Panthers for Ruslan Salei on February 26, 2008.[7] In his first full season with the Panthers in 2008–09, Skrastiņš scored a career high 18 points in 80 games. On October 16, 2008, he played his 600th career NHL game against the Minnesota Wild[8]
and on November 1, 2008, he scored his 100th point in his NHL career in
a 3–2 loss fittingly against his original club, the Nashville
On July 2, 2009, he was signed by the Dallas Stars to a two-year contract worth $2.75 million.[10] He scored his only two goals of the 2009–10 season, including the game winner, on December 19 in a 4–3 Stars victory over the Detroit Red Wings.[11]
On May 17, 2011, after eleven seasons in the NHL, Skrastiņš left to sign a contract with Russian team, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.[12]


On September 7, 2011, he was killed, when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying nearly his entire Lokomotiv team, crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia.[13] The team was traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “‘everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team.'”

Career statistics

Regular season and playoffs

Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
1991–92 Pardaugava Riga LHL 16 7 6 13 10  —  —  —  —  —
1992–93 Pardaugava Riga LHL 10 7 2 9 12  —  —  —  —  —
1992–93 Pardaugava Riga RSL 40 3 5 8 16 2 0 0 0 0
1993–94 Pardaugava Riga RSL 42 7 5 12 18 2 1 0 1 4
1994–95 Pardaugava Riga RSL 52 4 14 18 69  —  —  —  —  —
1995–96 TPS SM-l 50 4 11 15 32 11 2 2 4 10
1996–97 TPS SM-l 50 2 8 10 20 12 0 4 4 2
1997–98 TPS SM-l 48 4 15 19 67 4 0 0 0 0
1998–99 Nashville Predators NHL 2 0 1 1 0  —  —  —  —  —
1998–99 Milwaukee Admirals IHL 75 8 36 44 47 2 0 1 1 2
1999–00 Nashville Predators NHL 59 5 6 11 20  —  —  —  —  —
1999–00 Milwaukee Admirals IHL 19 3 8 11 10  —  —  —  —  —
2000–01 Nashville Predators NHL 82 1 11 12 30  —  —  —  —  —
2001–02 Nashville Predators NHL 82 4 13 17 36  —  —  —  —  —
2002–03 Nashville Predators NHL 82 3 10 13 44  —  —  —  —  —
2003–04 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 5 8 13 26 11 0 2 2 2
2004–05 HK Riga 2000 BLR 34 8 17 25 30 3 0 0 0 25
2004–05 HK Riga 2000 LHL 4 0 4 4 0 9 3 10 13 33
2005–06 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 3 11 14 65 9 0 1 1 10
2006–07 Colorado Avalanche NHL 68 0 11 11 30  —  —  —  —  —
2007–08 Colorado Avalanche NHL 43 1 3 4 20  —  —  —  —  —
2007–08 Florida Panthers NHL 17 1 0 1 12  —  —  —  —  —
2008–09 Florida Panthers NHL 80 4 14 18 30  —  —  —  —  —
2009–10 Dallas Stars NHL 79 2 11 13 24  —  —  —  —  —
2010–11 Dallas Stars NHL 74 3 5 8 38  —  —  —  —  —
NHL totals 832 32 104 136 375 20 0 3 3 12


Year Team Event GP G A Pts PIM
1993 Latvia WC-C 7 1 6 7 0
1993 Latvia OQ 4 1 1 2 2
1994 Latvia WJC-C 4 1 5 6 33
1994 Latvia WC-B 7 3 5 8 0
1995 Latvia WC-B 7 1 1 2 4
1997 Latvia WC 8 0 3 3 4
1999 Latvia WC 6 1 1 2 6
2000 Latvia WC 7 1 2 3 4
2001 Latvia WC 6 3 0 3 0
2002 Latvia OG 1 0 0 0 0
2003 Latvia WC 6 3 3 6 27
2005 Latvia OQ 3 1 0 1 0
2005 Latvia WC 6 2 0 2 2
2006 Latvia OG 5 0 1 1 0
2009 Latvia WC 7 1 1 2 0
2010 Latvia OG 4 0 0 0 0
Junior Int’l totals 4 1 5 6 33
Senior Int’l totals 84 18 24 42 49

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Daniil Sobchenko, Russian, world junior champion, died from a plane crash died he was 20

Danylo Yevhenovych “Daniil” Sobchenko was a Ukrainian-Russian professional ice hockey player. Born in Kiev, Sobchenko spent the entirety of his professional hockey career with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League died from a plane crash died he was  20.. He was a member of the Russian national team that competed in the IIHF World Championship‘s under 18 and under 20 levels; winning gold for the country in 2011. Sobchenko was drafted 165th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the San Jose Sharks. He died along with most of the Lokomotiv team in a plane crash on the first day of the 2011–12 season.

(13 April 1991 – 7 September 2011)


On 7 September 2011, Sobchenko was killed when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying nearly his entire Lokomotiv team, crashed at Tunoshna Airport, just outside the city of Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials confirmed that the entire main roster was
on the flight, including four players from the junior team.[1][2][3] The bodies of Ukrainian teammates Sobchenko and Vitali Anikeyenko were repatriated following the crash for burial in Ukraine.[4] The funeral was held on 10 September at Sovskom cemetery in Kiev.[5]

Career statistics

Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2009–10 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 35 5 1 6 6 6 0 0 0 2
2010–11 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 16 1 1 2 4 17 0 1 1 18
KHL totals 51 6 2 8 10 11 0 1 1 16

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Ivan Tkachenko, Russian, died from a plane crash he was 31

Ivan Leonidovich Tkachenko  was a Russian professional ice hockey winger who played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)  died from a plane crash he was 31. He was selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 4th round (98th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

  (November 9, 1979 – September 7, 2011)


On September 7, 2011, Tkachenko was killed in the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster,
when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft carrying nearly his entire
Lokomotiv team crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was
traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said, “Everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team.”


Three weeks after Tkachenko’s death information appeared in the Internet that during the last four years of his life he had anonymously donated almost 10 millions rubles (over 300,000 US dollars) for the treatment of children suffering from serious diseases. He transferred 500 000 rubles of this amount on the day before his death.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Pavel Trakhanov, Russian, died from a plane crash he was 33.

Pavel Sergeyevich Trakhanov was a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman who played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) died from a plane crash he was 33.

(March 21, 1978 – September 7, 2011)


On September 7, 2011, Trakhanov was killed in the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster,
when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying nearly the entire
Lokomotiv team, crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was
traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “‘everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team.'”

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Josef Vašíček, Czech, world junior champion (2000), world champion (2005), Stanley Cup champion (2006, with Carolina Hurricanes), died from a plane crash he was 30.

Josef Vašíček  was a Czech professional ice hockey player  died from a plane crash he was 30.. Vasicek last played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) and died when the team’s aircraft charter crashed on 7 September 2011. Vasicek played seven seasons in the National Hockey League for the Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators and New York Islanders before moving to Russia in 2008 to play for Yaroslavl.

(12 September 1980 – 7 September 2011)

HC Slavia Praha

Vasicek played with HC Slavia Praha
under 17 team in 1996–97, recording 20 goals and 60 points in 37 games.
In 1997–98, Vasicek moved up to the Praha’s junior team, where he had
13 goals and 33 points in 34 games. He was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round, 91st overall pick in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.
During the 2004-05 NHL lockout, Vasicek played with HC Slavia Praha,
scoring 20 goals and 43 points in 52 games to lead the club in scoring.
In seven playoff games, Vasicek had a goal and seven points.

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds

After being drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes, Vasicek made the move to North America, and joined the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL. in the 1998–99
season, Vasicek scored 21 goals and 56 points in 66 games, helping the
team to the playoffs. In five post-season games, Vasicek had three
He returned to the Greyhounds for the 1999–2000
season, as Vasicek improved his offensive numbers to 26 goals and 72
points in 54 games to finished second in team scoring. In the playoffs,
Vasicek had five goals and a team high 20 points in 17 games. Vasicek
was named to the third all-star team after the season.

Carolina Hurricanes

After having a solid training camp, Vasicek made the Carolina Hurricanes, and spent the entire 2000–01 season with the NHL team. Vasicek played in his first NHL game on 7 October 2000, getting no points in a 3–3 tie against the Washington Capitals. He scored his first NHL goal on 13 October 2000, beating Trevor Kidd of the Florida Panthers
in a 22 tie. Vasicek finished his rookie season with eight goals and
21 points in 76 games. He played in his first ever playoff game on 12
April 2001, scoring a goal against Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils in a 5–1 loss. In six playoff games, Vasicek had two goals.
Vasicek improved offensively in 2001–02,
as in 78 games, he scored 14 goals and 31 points to finished seventh in
Hurricanes scoring. In the playoffs, Vasicek had three goals and five
points in 23 games, helping the Hurricanes to the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost in five games to the Detroit Red Wings.
Vasicek had an injury plagued 2002–03
season, as he missed 25 games due to injuries. In 57 games played, he
had 10 goals and 20 points, as Carolina failed to make the playoffs. On
22 January 2003, Vasicek had his first multi-goal game in the NHL,
scoring twice against Olaf Kolzig of the Washington Capitals in a 5–3 loss.
He had his best NHL season with the Hurricanes in 2003–04,
as Vasicek appeared in all 82 games, scoring 19 goals and 45 points to
lead the team in scoring. Vasicek recorded his first NHL hat trick on 28 October 2003, scoring three goals against Vesa Toskala of the San Jose Sharks in a 3–0 victory. The Hurricanes struggled, and missed the playoffs for the second straight season.
During the 2004-05 NHL lockout, Vasicek returned to HC Slavia Praha,
where he scored 20 goals and 43 points in 52 games to lead that team in
scoring. In seven playoff games, Vasicek had a goal and seven points.
When the NHL resumed play in 2005–06, Vasicek returned to the Hurricanes. In a game on 11 November 2005 against the Florida Panthers,
Vasicek suffered a major knee injury, and remained out of the Carolina
lineup until 3 April 2006. In his first game back, Vasicek had two goals
and four points in a 6–5 win over the Washington Capitals.
Overall, Vasicek appeared in 23 games, scoring four goals and nine
points. In eight playoff games, Vasicek had no points, however, the
Hurricanes won the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals over the Edmonton Oilers. On 18 July 2006 the Hurricanes traded Vasicek to the Nashville Predators for Scott Walker.

Nashville Predators

Vasicek began the 2006–07 season with the Nashville Predators. He made his Predators debut on 5 October 2006, scoring a goal against Nikolai Khabibulin of the Chicago Blackhawks
in an 8–6 loss. Vasicek struggled with the Predators, as in 38 games,
he had four goals and 13 points. On 9 February 2007 the Predators traded
Vasicek back to the Carolina Hurricanes for Eric Belanger.

Carolina Hurricanes

Vasicek finished the 2006–07 with the Carolina Hurricanes. In his first game back with his original NHL club on 10 February 2007, Vasicek was held pointless in a 5–4 loss to the Minnesota Wild. He recorded his first point on 13 February 2007, recording an assist in a 2–1 win over the Los Angeles Kings, and scored his first goal with Carolina on 27 February 2007 in a 4–2 loss to the Ottawa Senators. Vasicek had a three point game with the Hurricanes on 17 March 2007, scoring a goal and two assists in a 7–2 win over the New Jersey Devils.
He finished the season with two goals and nine points in 25 games with
Carolina. After the season, Vasicek became an unrestricted free agent.

New York Islanders

On 15 August 2007, Vasicek signed a 1-year, $750,000 contract with the New York Islanders. He made his Islanders debut on 5 October 2007, scoring a goal against Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres
in a 6–4 win. Vasicek had his most productive NHL season since 2003–04,
as he scored 16 goals and 35 points in 81 games. After the season,
Vasicek became an unrestricted free agent.

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

Vasicek joined Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the newly formed KHL for the 2008–09
season. In 56 games, Vasicek had 12 goals and 32 points, helping the
team to the playoffs. In 19 playoff games, Vasicek had five goals and 15
He returned to Yaroslavl for the 2009–10
season, as Vasicek improved his offensive numbers to 21 goals and 48
points to lead the team in scoring. In 17 playoff games, Vasicek had six
goals and 13 points.
In 2010–11,
Vasicek once again improved offensively, scoring 24 goals and 55 points
in 54 games, finishing second in team scoring and seventh in league
scoring. In 18 playoff games, Vasicek had a league high 22 points,
scoring seven goals and adding 15 assists, however, Yaroslavl lost in
the Western Conference finals.
Vasicek returned to the club for the 2011–12, however, he was killed in a plane crash with his teammates on 7 September 2011.

International career

Vasicek played in international hockey tournaments with the Czech Republic. He played in the 2000 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships held in Sweden, scoring a goal and four points in seven games as the Czech Republic won the Gold Medal. Vasicek then appeared in the 2003 IIHF World Championship held in Finland, scoring two assists in nine games as the Czech’s finished in fourth place. He played in one game at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, getting no points, as his team won the Bronze Medal. At the 2005 IIHF World Championship played in Austria, Vasicek had a goal and two points, helping the Czech Republic to a Gold Medal. His next international appearance was at the 2009 IIHF World Championship held in Switzerland, as Vasicek had a goal and three points in six games, as the Czech Republic finished in sixth place. In the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver, Canada, Vasicek had no points in five games, as the Czech Republic finished in seventh place.


Vašíček was related by marriage to Buffalo Sabres left wing Thomas Vanek; Vanek’s brother is married to Vašíček’s sister.[1]


On 7 September 2011 Vašíček was killed when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying the entire Lokomotiv team, crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “‘everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team were killed.'”[2][3][4][5]

Awards and achievements

Medal record
Competitor for  Czech Republic
Ice hockey
World Championships
Gold 2005 Austria
World Junior Championships
Gold 2000 Sweden

Career statistics

Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
1998–99 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 66 21 35 56 30 5 3 0 3 10
1999–00 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 54 26 46 72 49 17 5 15 20 8
2000–01 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 76 8 13 21 53 6 2 0 2 0
2000–01 Cincinnati Cyclones IHL 3 0 0 0 0
2001–02 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 78 14 17 31 53 23 3 2 5 12
2002–03 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 57 10 10 20 33
2003–04 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 19 26 45 60
2004–05 HC Slavia Prague CzEx 52 20 23 43 42 7 1 6 7 10
2005–06 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 23 4 5 9 8 8 0 0 0 2
2006–07 Nashville Predators NHL 38 4 9 13 29
2006–07 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 25 2 7 9 22 0 0 0 0 0
2007–08 New York Islanders NHL 81 16 19 35 53
2008–09 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 56 12 20 32 81 19 5 10 15 20
2009–10 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 56 21 27 48 54 17 6 7 13 26
2010–11 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 54 24 31 55 34 18 7 15 22 16
NHL totals 460 77 106 183 311 37 5 2 7 14
KHL totals 166 57 78 135 169 54 18 32 50 62

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Alexander Vyukhin, Ukrainian, died from a plane crash at he was 38.

Alexander Vyukhin  was a Ukrainian professional ice hockey goaltender who last played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) died from a plane crash at he was 38.. He perished in the tragic 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster outside of Yaroslavl, Russia.

(January 9, 1973 – September 7, 2011)

Playing career

Vyukhin moved from Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg) to Ukraine as a junior where he would play in both Kharkiv and Kiev. He began his professional career in 1992 with Sokil Kyiv, then in the Russian Superleague. He played 19 seasons in Russia, with Avangard Omsk, Sibir Novosibirsk, Severstal Cherepovets, and Metallurg Novokuznetsk before being transferred to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
during the 2010–2011 season. Vyukhin represented Ukraine in the 1999
IIHF World Championship and in two C-Pool World Championships.[1]


On September 7, 2011, Vyukhin was killed in the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster,
when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying nearly his entire
Lokomotiv team, crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was
traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “‘everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team.'”[2][3][4] He was buried in Omsk next to the grave of Alexei Cherepanov.[5]


To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Artem Yarchuk, Russian, died in a plane crash he was 21

Artem Nikolayevich Yarchuk was a Russian professional ice hockey winger who played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)  died in a plane crash he was  21.

(May 3, 1990 – September 7, 2011) 


On September 7, 2011, Yarchuk was killed in the 2011 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster,
when a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger aircraft, carrying nearly his entire
Lokomotiv team, crashed just outside Yaroslavl, Russia. The team was
traveling to Minsk
to play their opening game of the season, with its coaching staff and
prospects. Lokomotiv officials said “‘everyone from the main roster was
on the plane plus four players from the youth team.'”[2][3][4]

See also

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Alexander Vasyunov, Russian, died in a plane crash he was 23.

Alexander Sergeevich Vasyunov was a Russian ice hockey player who played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in the Kontinental Hockey League died in a plane crash he was 23..Alexander Vasyunov was a prospect for the New Jersey Devils in the NHL. Vasyunov died on September 7, 2011 in a plane crash,
along with his entire Lokomotiv team, just outside Yaroslavl, Russia.
The team was on its way to their 2011–2012 season opener with the entire
team, coaching staff, and prospects. The team was traveling to Minsk to play their opening game of the season.”[2]

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Shigeri Akabane, Japanese professional wrestler, died from a heart attack he was 70.

Shigeri Akabane  known by his ringname Little Tokyo, was a Japanese professional midget wrestler who competed in North American promotions during the 1970s and 1980s including Herb AbramsUniversal Wrestling Federation, the American Wrestling Association and the World Wrestling Federation, most notably appearing at WrestleMania III in a mixed tag team match with Lord Littlebrook and King Kong Bundy against Hillbilly Jim, the Haiti Kid and Little Beaver in 1987 died from a heart attack he was 70..

(July 5, 1941 – September 6, 2011)

During the early 1990s, he appeared in World Class Championship Wrestling and independent promotions including Windy City Wrestling.
At the age of 69, Akabane was diagnosed with base tongue cancer. Doctors said it was cureable and family and friends gathered around him for support. He was living in St. Joseph, Missouri.


On September 6, 2011, Shigeri Akabane died after suffering a heart attack at the age of 70.[1][2]

Championships and accomplishments

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Hans Apel, German politician, Finance Minister (1974–1978) and Defence Minister (1978–1982), died he was 79

Hans Eberhard Apel was a German politician and a member of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD). From 1972 to 1974 he was Parliamentary State Secretary to the Foreign Minister died he was 79.. From 1974 to 1978 he was the Minister of Finance and from 1978 to 1982 he was the Minister of Defence.

(25 February 1932 – 6 September 2011) 

Education and career

After completing his Abitur (roughly equivalent to graduating high school, A-Level exam) in 1954 in Hamburg, he served an apprenticeship
as an import and export businessman, in Hamburg. After completing his
apprenticeship he went to university, where he studied Economics. In
1960 he was awarded a doctorate in Political Science. From 1958 to 1961 he was the Secretary of the Socialist Group in the European Parliament.
In 1962 he became a civil servant at the European Parliament, where
he served as Department Head responsible for Economics, Finance and
Transport. In 1993 he was appointed an honorary professor of Economics
at the University of Rostock.


Hans and Ingrid Apel wed in 1956; they had two children.


Apel joined the SPD in 1955. From 1970 to 1988 he was a member of the
National Executive (Bundesvorstand) of the SPD, and from 1986 to 1988
he was also a member of the Executive Board (Präsidium). From 1965 to
1990, Dr. Apel was a member of the German Bundestag. In 1969 he was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group and again in 1983, after the new elections, until 1988.[citation needed]

Government positions

In 1972, Dr. Apel was appointed Parliamentary State Secretary for
European Questions at the German Foreign Office. In 1974, he was
appointed Finance Minister in the government of Helmut Schmidt. After the cabinet reshuffle of 1978, he was put in charge of the Ministry of Defense.
He left government on 1 October 1982, after Helmut Kohl became Chancellor. In 1985, he ran as the top candidate for the SPD in Berlin, which implied standing as Mayor of Berlin, but lost to the CDU candidate.


Dr. Apel spent his later years speaking about religion. In 2004 he was awarded the Walter Künneth Prize by the “Kirchliche Sammlung um Bibel und Bekenntnis in Bayern” (the Ecclesiastical Assembly for the Bible and Commitment in Bavaria), a conservative Lutheran organization. The prize, named after the German theologian, Walter Künneth, was awarded principally for Apel’s book Volkskirche ohne Volk (People’s Church without a People), in which he criticizes the “rampant modernism” of the Evangelical Church; he left the North Elbian Evangelical Church and joined the Independent Evangelical-Lutheran Church.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Dan David, Romanian-born Israeli businessman and philanthropist, died from a brain hemorrhage he was 82.

Dan David was a Romanian-born Israeli businessman and philanthropist died from a brain hemorrhage he was 82..

(23 May 1929 – 6 September 2011)


Dan David was born to a Jewish family in Bucharest, Romania. He joined a Zionist youth movement
at the age of 16. After studying economics at university, he worked for
Romanian television and became a press photographer. In 1958, his
newspaper asked him to travel to West Germany on an assignment. When he requested an exit permit, he was accused of being a Zionist activist and was fired from his job.[1]
He left Romania for Paris
in August 1960, later settling in Israel. The following year, he
traveled to Europe. With a $200,000 loan from a cousin, he won the
franchise for Photo-Me International automated photography booths in certain countries. He opened branches in Israel, Spain, Romania and Italy, eventually taking over the company.[2] When David was chairman[3] of Photo-Me in 1999, his and board-member Serge Crasnianski‘s shares were valued at 210 and 200 million pounds, respectively.[4]
David died in London on September 6, 2011.[5]

Dan David Prize

In 2000, David founded the Dan David Foundation with a $100 million
endowment. The First Director of the Dan David Prize was Professor Gad Barzilai. The Foundation, together with Tel Aviv University, awards the Dan David Prize
(first awarded in 2002), which consists of annual awards of three
prizes of $1 million each awarded to individuals who have made an
outstanding contribution in the fields of science, technology, culture
or social welfare.[
To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Archduke Felix of Austria, Austrian royal, last surviving child of Charles I of Austria, died he was 95

Archduke Felix of Austria given names: Felix
Friedrich August Maria vom Siege Franz Joseph Peter Karl Anton Robert
Otto Pius Michael Benedikt Sebastian Ignatius Marcus d’Aviano
;  was the last surviving child of the last Austrian Emperor Charles I and a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine died he was 95… He was a younger brother of the late Crown Prince Otto of Austria.

(31 May 1916 – 6 September 2011)

Early life and exile

Archduke Felix was born in the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna the third son of the then heir presumptive to the throne of Austria-Hungary the Archduke Charles and his wife Zita of Bourbon-Parma.[2] He was christened at Schönbrunn on 8 June 1916 in the presence of his great-grand uncle Emperor Franz Joseph while his godfather was his great-uncle King Frederick Augustus III of Saxony, brother of his grandmother Princess Maria Josepha of Saxony.[3]
On 21 November 1916 the Emperor Franz Joseph died and Felix’s father
succeeded as the new Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary.
Archduke Felix was less than three years old when Austria-Hungary
collapsed following its defeat in the First World War. As a result,
republics were declared in the now-separate countries Austria and Hungary
which led to exile of the Imperial Family. Originally exiled in
Switzerland the Imperial Family were taken to Portuguese island of Madeira in 1921 after Archduke Felix’s father’s failed attempts to claim the throne in the Kingdom of Hungary from the regent Miklós Horthy. On 1 April 1922 his father Emperor Charles died in Madeira.
In the autumn of 1937 Archduke Felix was permitted to return to Austria, entering the Theresian Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt. He became the first Habsburg since the abolition of the monarchy to pursue a career as an officer in the Austrian Army.[4] With the Anschluss approaching Archduke Felix, his sister Archduchess Adelheid and Archduke Eugen fled Austria crossing the border to Czechoslovakia.[5][6]
During the Second World War while in the United States, Felix and his brother Karl Ludwig volunteered to serve in the 101st Infantry Battalion
known as the “Free Austria Battalion”. However the battalion was
disbanded when a number of exiled Jewish volunteers who made up the
majority of force ultimately declined to confirm their enlistment.[7]

Return to Austria

Felix, unlike his brother Otto,
always refused to renounce his rights to the Austrian throne and
membership of the Habsburg family, saying that doing so would violate
his human rights. As a result he was banned from entering Austria except
for a brief three-day stay in 1989 in order to attend his mother’s
funeral.[8] On 10 March 1996, after Austria had joined the European Union
and the concurrent dropping of staffed border checkpoints between
Austria and other EU countries, he crossed into the country from Germany
and held a press conference the next day to announce his illegal arrival.[9]
After his presence became known, he was warned by the Austrian
government that he would face prosecution if he ever tried to enter the
country illegally again.[10]
Ultimately, a deal was reached between Felix, his brother Karl Ludwig
and the Austrian government whereby they declared their allegiance to
the republic without any reference being made to their rights to the
throne or to their membership in the Imperial Family.[9]
In June 1998, in a joint action with his brother Karl Ludwig, Felix
attempted to have the properties which were given to their ancestor Maria Theresa of Austria by her husband Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor restored to them after the properties had been taken from the Habsburg family by Adolf Hitler during the Anschluss.[11]
Felix built up a number of successful businesses in Mexico and Brussels[9] and worked as a marketing consultant.[12]
During his time in exile Archduke Felix lived in Portugal, Belgium, Mexico and the United States.[8] He lived in the colonia of San Ángel in Mexico City where he died 6 September 2011.[13] He was interred in the family crypt in Muri Abbey, near Zurich.
The abbey is a favoured burial place of the Habsburg dynasty, and also
contains the remains of his wife and the hearts of his parents.[14]

Marriage and children

Felix was married civilly on 18 November 1952 at Beaulieu[disambiguation needed ], France, and religiously a day later, to Princess and Duchess Anna-Eugénie of Arenberg (1925–1997).[2] They had seven children.

  • Archduchess María del Pilar of Austria (born 1953) married Vollrad-Joachim Edler von Poschinger (born 1952)
  • Archduke Carl Philipp (Carlos Felipe) of Austria (born 1954) married
    first (separated 1997) Martina Donath. Married second Annie-Claire
    Christine Lacrambe (born 1959)
  • Archduchess Kinga of Austria (born 1955) married Baron Wolfgang von Erffa (born 1948)
  • Archduke Raimund (Ramón) of Austria (1958–2008) married Bettina Götz (born 1969)
  • Archduchess Myriam of Austria (born 1959) married Jaime Corcuera Acheson (born 1955), a Mexican descendant of the Earls of Gosford.
  • Archduke István (Esteban) of Austria (born 1961) married Paola de Temesváry (born 1971)
  • Archduchess Viridis of Austria (born 1961, twin of Archduke Istvan)
    married The Honorable Carl Dunning-Gribble, Lord of Marnhull (born 1961)

As they all lived in Mexico, and some still do, they are called by the Spanish equivalent to their names.

Honours and patronages

Along with his brothers Otto and Rudolf, Archduke Felix was a patron for the revived Almanach de Gotha.[15]

Titles and styles

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Michael S. Hart, American author, inventor of the e-book and founder of Project Gutenberg, died from a heart attack he was 64.

Michael Stern Hart was an American author, best known as the inventor of the electronic book (or ebook) and the founder of Project Gutenberg, a project to make ebooks freely available via the Internet died from a heart attack he was 64… Most of the early postings were typed in by Hart himself.

(March 8, 1947 – September 6, 2011)

Early life

Michael Hart’s father was an accountant and his mother, a former cryptanalyst during World War II, was a business manager at a retail store. In 1958 his family relocated to Urbana, Illinois, and his father and mother became college professors in Shakespearean studies and mathematics education, respectively. Hart attended the University of Illinois, graduating in just two years.[4] He then attended but did not complete graduate school. He was also, briefly, a street musician.[5]

Project Gutenberg

During Hart’s time there, the University of Illinois computer center
gave Hart a user’s account on its computer system: Hart’s brother’s best
friend was the mainframe operator.[6] Although the focus of computer use there tended to be data processing, Hart was aware that it was connected to a network (part of what would become the Internet)
and chose to use his computer time for information distribution. Hart
related that after his account was created on July 4, 1971, he had been
trying to think of what to do with it and had seized upon a copy of the United States Declaration of Independence, which he had been given at a grocery store on his way home from watching fireworks
that evening. He typed the text into the computer but was told that it
would be unacceptable to transmit it to numerous people at once via e-mail.[6] Thus, to avoid crashing the system, he made the text available for people to download instead.
This was the beginning of Project Gutenberg. Hart began posting text copies of such classics as the Bible and the works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Mark Twain. As of 1987 he had typed in a total of 313 books in this fashion. Then, through being involved in the University of Illinois
PC User Group and with assistance from Mark Zinzow, a programmer at the
school, Hart was able to recruit volunteers and set up an infrastructure of mirror sites and mailing lists for the project. With this the project was able to grow much more rapidly.
The mission statements for the project were:

“Encourage the Creation and Distribution of eBooks”
“Help Break Down the Bars of Ignorance and Illiteracy”
“Give As Many eBooks to As Many People As Possible”[6]

His overall outlook in the project was to develop in the least demanding format possible: as worded in The Chronicle of Higher Education,
to him, open access meant ” open access without proprietary displays,
without the need for special software, without the requirement for
anything but the simplest of connections. ” [7]

Other activities

Hart was an author and his works are available free of charge on the Project Gutenberg server. He was also a member of the RepRap Project, which aims at creating a self-replicating machine.[8]

Personal life

He supported himself by doing odd jobs and used an unpaid appointment at Illinois Benedictine College
to solicit donations for the project. “I know that sounds odd to most
people, but I just never bought into the money system all that much. I
never spent it when I got it. It’s all a matter of perspective”.[9]
Hart glided through life with many possessions and friends, but very
few expenses. He used home remedies rather than seeing doctors, fixed
his own house and car. He built many computers, stereos, and other gear,
often from discarded components sacrificing personal luxury to fight
for literacy, and for preservation of public domain rights and
resources, towards the greater good.[1]
The man who spent a lifetime digitizing literature lived amidst the
hard copies in his house in Urbana stacked, floor to eye-height, with
pillars of books. Mr. Hart led a life of near poverty, and “basically
lived off of cans of beans.” Mr. Hart cobbled together a living with the
money he earned as an adjunct professor and with grants and donations
to Project Gutenberg.[10]


Hart died on September 6, 2011 of a heart attack at his home in Urbana, Illinois. He was 64.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

George Kuchar, American film director, died from prostate cancer he was 69.

George Kuchar  was an American underground film director, known for his “low-fi” aesthetic.

(August 31, 1942 – September 6, 2011)

Early life and career

Kuchar trained as a commercial artist at the School of Industrial Art, now known as the High School of Art and Design,
a vocational school in New York City. He graduated in 1960 and drew
weather maps for a local news show. During this period, he and his twin
brother Mike Kuchar were making 8mm movies, which were showcased in the then-burgeoning underground film scene alongside films by Andy Warhol, Kenneth Anger, and Stan Brakhage.
After being laid off from a commercial art job in New York City,
Kuchar was offered a teaching job in the film department of the San Francisco Art Institute, where he taught from 1971 until early 2011. [2]
In San Francisco, Kuchar became involved with underground comics via his neighbors Art Spiegelman and Bill Griffith. They both wound up in his movies and George wound up in their publications.


George Kuchar directed over 200 films and videos (including over 15
with his twin brother Mike), many of them short films by students in his
courses at the San Francisco Art Institute. His video work is archived at the Video Data Bank and Electronic Arts Intermix.[3] In the Critics’ Poll of the 100 best films of the 20th century, appearing originally in The Village Voice (4 January 2000), Hold Me While I’m Naked was ranked 52nd.[4]

Films featuring George Kuchar

Planet Kuchar, a biopic of the life of George Kuchar, is being developed by Los Angeles production company Automat Pictures and producer Jeffrey Schwarz.
It Came From Kuchar, a documentary film of the life of George and Mike Kuchar by Jennifer Kroot, premiered at the South by Southwest film festival on 14 March 2009.[5]
In 1997, the Kuchar brothers collaborated on a book Reflections from a Cinematic Cesspool, a memoir discussing four decades of filmmaking with an introduction by director John Waters.


George Kuchar died on 6 September 2011 in San Francisco, just past his 69th birthday on August 31st, of complications related to prostate cancer.[6][7]


(The Kuchar brothers, in British punctuation tradition, capitalize
articles, prepositional phrases, and contractions in their movie
titles, when working together or independently)

  • The Wet Destruction Of The Atlantic Empire (1954)
  • Screwball (1957)
  • The Naked And The Nude (1957)
  • The Slasher (1958)
  • The Thief And The Stripper (1959)
  • A Tub Named Desire (1960)
  • I Was A Teenage Rumpot (1960)
  • Pussy On A Hot Tin Roof (1961)
  • Born Of The Wind (1961)
  • A Woman Distressed (1962)
  • A Town Called Tempest (1962)
  • Night Of The Bomb (1962)
  • Lust For Ectsasy (1963)
  • The Confessions Of Babette (1963)
  • Tootsies In Autumn (1963)
  • Anita Needs Me (1963)
  • The Lovers Of Eternity (1963)
  • Corruption Of The Damned (1965)
  • Hold Me While I’m Naked (1966)
  • Leisure (1966)
  • Mosholu Holiday (1966)
  • Color Me Shameless (1967)
  • Eclipse Of The Sun Virgin (1967)
  • The Lady From Sands Point (1967)
  • Knocturne (1968)
  • Unstrap Me (1968)
  • House Of The White People (1968)
  • Encyclopedia Of The Blessed (1968)
  • The Mammal Palace (1969)
  • Pagan Rhapsody (1970)
  • Portrait Of Ramona (1971)
  • The Sunshine Sisters (1972)
  • The Devil’s Cleavage (1973)
  • Thundercrack! (1975)(screenplay)
  • Back To Nature (1976)
  • A Reason To Live (1976)
  • La Casa De Chorizo (1977)
  • KY Kapers (1977)
  • Wild Night In El Reno (1977)
  • Forever And Always (1978)
  • Mongreloid (1978)
  • Blips (1979)
  • Aqueerius (1980)
  • The Nocturnal Immaculation (1980)
  • Yolando (1980)
  • Cattle Mutilations (1983)
  • Mom (1983)
  • Untitled Musical (1984)
  • The X-People (1984)
  • Ascension Of The Demonoids (1985)

Produced at the San Francisco Art Institute:

  • Destination Damnation (1972)
  • Carnal Bipeds (1973)
  • I Married A Heathen (1974)
  • The Desperate And The Deep (1975)
  • I, An Actress (1977)
  • The Asphalt Ribbon (1977)
  • One Night A Week (1978)
  • Prescrition [sic] In Blue (1978)
  • The Power Of The Press (1979)
  • Remember Tomorrow (1979)
  • Symphony For A Sinner (1979)
  • How To Chose [sic] A Wife (1980)
  • The Woman And The Dress (1980)
  • Ochokpug (1980)
  • Boulevard Kishka (1981)
  • The Oneers (1982)
  • Ms. Hyde (1983)
  • Club Vatican (1984)
  • The Legend Of Thelma White (1985)
  • Motel Capri (1986)
  • La Noche D’Amour (1986)
  • PRC Musical (1986)
  • Insanitorium (1987)
  • Summer Of No Return (1988)
  • La Verbotene Voyage (1989)
  • A Fatal Desire (2004)
  • The Crypt of Frankenstein (2008)
  • Zombies of Zanzibar (2010)


To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Janusz Morgenstern, Polish filmmaker, died he was 88.

Janusz “Kuba” Morgenstern  was a Polish film director and producer died he was 88..


(16 November 1922 – 6 September 2011)

Janusz Morgenstern was born in 1922 to a Jewish family in the village of Mikulińce near Tarnopol (then Poland, now Ukraine), to Dawid Morgenstern and Estera (née Druks).
He debuted as a director with the film Goodbye, See You Tomorrow (1960). His other films include Jowita (1967), We Have to Kill this Love (1972), W-Hour (1979), Lesser of Two Evils (2009). TV series directed by Morgenstern included: Stake Larger than Life (1967–1968), Columbuses (1970) and Polish Roads (1976).[1] He died in Warsaw, Poland.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Wardell Quezergue, American music arranger, producer and bandleader, died from heart failure he was 81

Wardell Quezergue  was an American music arranger, producer and bandleader, known among New Orleans
musicians as the “Creole Beethoven” died from heart failure he was 81..

(March 12, 1930 – September 6, 2011)

Wardell was born into a musical
family with his father, Sidney Quezergue Sr., being a guitar player.
Wardell was the second youngest of three brothers: Sidney Quezergue Jr.,
Leo Quezergue, and Arlen Quezergue. His oldest two brothers, Sidney
(Trumpet) and Leo (Drums), were jazz musicians as well.


After playing with Dave Bartholomew’s band from the late 1940s and serving as an army musician in Korea,
he emerged as a bandleader in his own right in the mid-1950s with his
Royal Dukes of Rhythm. He also worked as an arranger with the cream of
New Orleans musicians, including Professor Longhair and Fats Domino.
In 1964, he formed Nola Records, and Robert Parker’s “Barefootin’” from the label reached number 2 on the R&B chart. Other artists on the label include Eddie Bo, Willie Tee and Smokey Johnson. Later, he recorded King Floyd’s “Groove Me” and Jean Knight’s “Mr. Big Stuff”. When major labels including Stax and Atlantic
initially rejected them as uncommercial, Stax eventually released “Mr
Big Stuff”, and it became the biggest selling, most successful release
on the Stax label (currently over 3 million copies), outselling Otis
Redding, Sam & Dave, and the other Stax acts. “Groove Me” was
released on the Chimneyville label, a huge hit (King Floyd’s biggest),
and was covered by artists as diverse as Etta James and Tom Petty.
Quezergue was also the keyboardist on both hits. Quezergue arranged and
produced Dorothy Moore’s “Misty Blue”, which “crossed over” and also
became the label’s (Malaco) biggest seller.
At the same time, Wardell was charting, at Berry Gordy’s request, stage arrangement for Stevie Wonder and other Motown acts.
As a result of these successes, Quezergue’s skills as an arranger,
and Malaco’s studios, became in demand in the 1970s, and were used by
artists as diverse as Paul Simon, Willie Nelson and B. B. King. He also worked with G.C. Cameron, former lead singer of The Spinners (“It’s A Shame”) and The Temptations, the Pointer Sisters, and many more.
Quezergue also produced and arranged the Grammy Award-winning Dr. John album Goin’ Back to New Orleans
in 1992. Already an award winning classical composer and conductor, in
2000 he created an extended composition entitled “A Creole Mass”,
drawing on his experiences in the Korean War.[3]
In 2005, Wardell was awarded “Best Produced CD of the Year”(by the NY
Blues and Jazz society) for his first sessions with singer-songwriter
Will Porter. Also a Blues Foundation nominee, the sessions featured
Billy Preston, Leo Nocentelli, The Louisiana Philharmonic Strings, and
Nola’s best musicians. The CD was awarded 4 stars by AMG, and received
what Quezergue called “the best reviews of my career”.
In 2005, by now legally blind, he lost most of his belongings as a result of Hurricane Katrina.[4]
The following year, benefit concerts were held in his behalf, led by
Dr. John, with support from other leading musicians, including REM’s Mike Mills.[5]
In May 2009, Wardell Quezergue received an honorary doctorate from Loyola University New Orleans
for his selfless dedication to enhancing the careers of others, while
remaining in the background; for his dedication to teaching others,
especially the young aspiring musicians of the city, leading many great
New Orleans musicians to refer to him as “my teacher;” and for his
contributions to the sounds of the city, particularly the driving horn
sounds of the 60s and 70s, for which New Orleans music became known.
On July 19, 2009, a tribute was mounted to Wardell Quezergue at the Lincoln Center‘s Alice Tully Hall. By all standards, the show was a triumph, its concept begat from Dr. Ike and the Ponderosa Stomp
crew. A nine-piece band was assembled and imported from New Orleans to
back up singers like Dr. John, Robert Parker, Jean Knight, and The Dixie Cups,
just to name a few. Veteran writer/arranger/bandleader/producer
Quezergue showed everyone that he still has it, as he conducted the
whole concert.
In 2011 Quezergue finished work on what he called his “two most
important works”; his classical religious work “The Passion” and the
sophomore recording for Will Porter. On August 25, 2011, Quezergue approved final mixes of 15 tracks of the
Will Porter project, featuring duets with Dr. John, Bettye Lavette,
Barbara Lewis, jazz bassist Jimmy Haslip, Leo Nocentelli (all multiple
Grammy nominees/awardees,) with, once again, the best of New Orleans,
including the 12 last recordings of the late drummer Bunchy Johnson, and
the Louisiana Philharmonic Strings. His next planned project, a duet CD
with Will Porter and Dr John will continue without him, as he died
September 6, 2011, age 81.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Angioletta Coradini, Italian astrophysicist, died from cancer she was 65

Dr. Angioletta Coradini  was an Italian astrophysicist, planetary scientist and one of the most important figures in the space sciences in Italy died from cancer she was 65. .

(1 July 1946- died 5 September 2011)


In 1970 she completed a Masters degree in Physics at the University
of Rome, the city where she would do her research over her entire
career—at first at the university, then from 1975 at the National Research Council of Italy (CNR), and finally at the National Astrophysics Institute of Italy
(INAF). Her early geological research conducted in the Gulf of Cagliari
earned her notable international recognition, so much so that her
“Department of Planetology” at CNR was one of the early groups to be
entrusted by NASA with the analysis of lunar samples brought back to the
Earth by the Apollo Program. From 2001-10, Dr. Coradini served as
director of the Institute for the Physics of Interplanetary Space of
INAF. She was awarded the David Bates Medal of the European Geophysical
Union in 2007.[2] In 2010 NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory named her one of its Distinguished Visiting Scientists.

Participation in international scientific projects

  • Co—investigator for NASA lunar and planetary research (1970–74);
  • Member of the Joint Working Group (JWG) between the US National Academy of Sciences and the European Science Foundation (1983);
  • NATO contractor for collaboration between Institute for Space Astrophysics (IAS) and UCLA (1984–87);
  • Member of Solar System Working Group (SSWG) of ESA (1985–88);
  • Member of the Phase A Assessment team for ESA Rosetta, third cornerstone (1985–93);
  • PI for campaign of telemonitoring of active volcanic zones, organized jointly between CNR and NASA/JPL (1986);
  • Member of the Science Team for data analysis of the ISM Sensor for the Soviet Phobos mission (1990–93);
  • Member of the Italian Team for the Planetary Fourier Spectrometer
    (PFS) and Omega Vnir spectrometer for the Soviet Mars 94/96 mission
  • Member of the Science Team for the CIRS and VIMS instruments, and PI
    of the VIMS visible channel, Cassini-Huygens mission (1991–2011)
  • Coordinator of the Moon Orbiting Observatory (MORO) proposal and member of the MORO science team (1993–96);
  • Member of the Observing Time Allocation Committee (OTAC) for the ESA Infrared Observatory (ISO) mission (1994–96);
  • Member of the European Southern Observatory (ESO) observing Program Committee, Panel F (1997–99);
  • PI of the VIRTIS instrument for the ESA Rosetta mission (1996–2011);
  • PI of the Mars Multispectral Imager for Subsurface Studies (Ma-Miss) (1999–2011);
  • Member of the Scientific Council of the Finnish Academy of Space Studies “Antares” (1999–2004);
  • Member of the Scientific Council of the International Institute of Space Studies (ISSI), headquartered in Bern (1999–2002);
  • Member of the ESA Science Program Committee (SPC) in the role of consultant for planetary science from the Italian delegation;
  • Member of the High Scientific Committee of the Paris Observatory;
  • PI of the VIR instrument for the NASA Dawn Discovery mission (2001–11);
  • PI of the Jiram Instrument for the NASA New Frontiers Juno mission (2005–11);
  • Member of the Space Advisory Group (SAG) of the European Community (2008–11);
  • Past member, European Space Science Committee (ESSC);
  • Past Secretary Division III, Commission 16 of the International Astronomical Union

Awards and Recognition

  • David Bates Medal (2007) “In recognition of her important and wide
    ranging work in planetary sciences and Solar System formation, and her
    leading role in the development of space infrared instrumentation for
    planetary exploration”[2]
  • Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Science
  • Asteroid 4598 Coradini, shared with brother Marcello, for contributions given to the development of planetary science.
  • Elected member, International Academy of Astronautics, in 2009.


Dr. Coradini died in 2011, aged 65, after a year-long battle with cancer.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Charles S. Dubin, American film and television director (Hawaii Five-O, Kojak, M*A*S*H), died from natural causes he was 92.

Charles Samuel Dubin was an American film and television director.
From the early 1950s to 1991, Dubin worked in television, directing episodes of Tales of Tomorrow, Omnibus, The Defenders, The Big Valley, The Virginian, Hawaii Five-O, M*A*S*H, Matlock, The Rockford Files, Murder, She Wrote and among other notable series died from natural causes he was 92. .

(February 1, 1919 – September 5, 2011) 

Life and career

Dubin was born Charles Samuel Dubronevski[2] in Brooklyn, New

From left, Charles S. Dubin with Mike Farrell, Alan Alda, Loretta Swit
and David Ogden Stiers on the set of “M*A*S*H”.

York, to a Russian family.[3] He attended Samuel J. Tilden High School,
and first became interested in the arts by wanting to pursue a career
as an opera singer. After graduating from high school, he attended Brooklyn College, studying drama, and acted in a number of stage productions, before graduating in 1941.[4] He then attended Neighborhood Playhouse in Manhattan studying stage managing and directing. He continued to act and sing in stage productions working as an understudy.[4]
In 1950, he was hired by ABC,
as an associate director and, within a few months, was soon promoted to
head director, later going on to direct a number of notable series
spanning 30 years. In 1958, Dubin was named in the Hollywood blacklist. He refused to testify and he was never cited for contempt.[4]
He directed more episodes of the popular 1970s television comedy M*A*S*H than anyone else.[5]
Dubin retired in 1991 at the age of 70, after 39 years in television
and 48 years in entertainment. His last television directing credit was
the series Father Dowling Mysteries starring Tom Bosley.[4]


He was married to Daphne Elliott until their divorce in 1975. Later he married author and filmmaker Mary Lou Chayes [6], with whom he had a daughter, and who survives him.[4]


On September 5, 2011, Dubin died of natural causes, he was 92 years old.[7]

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Salvatore Licitra, Italian tenor, died from injuries from a motor scooter accident he was 43.

Salvatore Licitra  was an Italian operatic tenor died from injuries from a motor scooter accident he was 43..

(10 August 1968 – 5 September 2011)

Early life and debuts

Born in Bern, Switzerland, to Sicilian parents, Licitra grew up in
Milan. He fell into opera by accident. As many tenors before him, he was
not altogether confident about his vocal capabilities and started
working as a graphic artist for Italian Vogue.
At the age of 19 he began attending singing classes on a regular basis
and enrolled at the Music Academy of Parma and the Corsi Verdiani. After
8 years of studies, initially as a choir vocalist, he left his voice
teacher and enrolled at Carlo Bergonzi‘s voice academy in Busseto.
He debuted in Un ballo in maschera in Parma in 1998, in a performance for Bergonzi’s students. His success led to a contract as cover in Ballo, Rigoletto and Aida in Verona, and he ended up singing them all. Buoyed by positive audience reception, he auditioned for Riccardo Muti at La Scala, who hired the young tenor for Alvaro in a new production of La forza del destino.[citation needed]

At La Scala and other houses

In March 1999, he debuted at La Scala under Riccardo Muti in La forza del destino as Alvaro, then sang in Tosca and Madama Butterfly at the Arena di Verona in June and July, then Tosca at La Scala in March 2000, again with Muti. The performance was recorded and released on Sony Classical. In May he debuted in Madrid in La forza del destino, and in Verona, he was awarded the Premio Zenatello as tenor of the year, and sang in La forza del destino at the Arena in July. In September he traveled to Japan with the La Scala ensemble for performances of Forza. Milan honoured him with the Honorary Citizenship Medal, and Sony offered him an exclusive recording contract.
A controversial performance of Il trovatore, recorded and issued by Sony, opened the 2000/2001 season at La Scala and the centennial of Verdi‘s death, the Anno Verdi.
The opera had not been performed at La Scala in 22 years and Muti, who
was the conductor and who had personally hand-picked Licitra for the
role of Manrico, forbade his tenor to sing the traditional, interpolated
high C of the 3rd act cabaletta “Di quella pira“.
There was an uproar in the audience, who booed the maestro’s decision.
Six months later Licitra sang the part again in Verona to great acclaim.
Prior to Il trovatore in Verona, he had performed in Un ballo in maschera
at La Scala under Muti, then repeated the success in Rome in December.
In November he made his American debut as a guest soloist at the 26th
annual Richard Tucker Music Foundation Opera Gala in New York. In December he left for Vienna and the Wiener Staatsoper to sing in Tosca, then Manrico in Il trovatore at the Sao Carlos in Lisbon in January 2002 and Alvaro (Forza) in Turin in February.[citation needed]

The Met and beyond

The Metropolitan Opera followed unexpectedly on 12 May 2002 when he appeared in Tosca, substituting for Luciano Pavarotti,
then 66, who had cancelled the performance two hours before curtain
time. Licitra, who was not scheduled to debut there until 2004, was
flown in by the Met as a back-up singer and eventually received a
43-second ovation at the conclusion of “Recondita armonia” and a 46-second ovation at the conclusion of “E lucevan le stelle“. In the short time since his debut in 1998, Licitra was dubbed the New Pavarotti, a tenor “worthy of the great Italian tradition”. The New York Times
reported after his American debut with the Richard Tucker Gala: “… an
Italian tenor with a deep baritonal lower range, a brighter upper
register, and strong secure high notes […] in true Italian tenor
tradition […] If he can withstand the inevitable “fourth tenor” hype,
he could be one to watch”. He subsequently added the title roles in Andrea Chénier, Ernani, Don Carlos, Turiddu in Cavalleria rusticana, Canio in Pagliacci, and Luigi in Il tabarro, to his repertoire.[citation needed]
Licitra’s final public appearance was a concert performance of Puccini’s Tosca with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at the Ravinia Festival on July 30, 2011. James Conlon conducted, and the cast included Patricia Racette and Bryn Terfel.[2]


On 27 August 2011, Licitra sustained severe head and chest injuries
when he suffered a cerebral hemorrhage while riding his motor scooter
and crashed into a wall in Donnalucata, Scicli, Ragusa Province, Sicily. He remained in a coma for nine days in the Garibaldi Hospital in Catania and was pronounced dead on 5 September 2011. His body was taken to lie in state in Catania’s opera house, the Teatro Massimo Bellini.
To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Vann Nath, Cambodian painter, died he was 66.

Vann Nath  was a Cambodian painter, artist, writer and human rights activist who was one of a diverse group of writers from 22 countries to receive the prestigious Lillian Hellman/Hammett Award which recognizes courage in the face of political persecution which he faced during the Khmer Rouge died he was 66.. He was the eighth Cambodian to win the award since 1995.

(1946 – September 5, 2011)


Vann Nath was born in Phum Sophy village, Srok Battambang district, Battambang Province
in northwestern Cambodia. The exact date and year of his birth was
unknown, but it was common for poor Cambodians born in rural areas not
to have a proper birth certificate. He was educated at Wat Sopee pagoda
as a child. His parents were separated, and he had two brothers and an
older sister. They earned a living by selling a type of Khmer white
noodles called ‘num banhchok’. They were so poor that Nath had no chance
to get a proper education. By the time he was 14 or 15, he was working
at factory jobs for 500-600 riel a month (less than 25 cents).
Nath became interested in painting while he was studying at Wat Sopee
pagoda. “I became very attracted to painting when I went into the
pagoda and I saw people painting a picture on the side of the wall of a
temple.” Instead of pursuing painting, he served as a monk from the age
of 17 to 21. “Every family has a son…one of the sons must go and serve
as a monk — it is considered bad for the Cambodian family to not have a
son who is a monk”, says Vann Nath.
When his sister died, Vann Nath left the monkhood to start working to
help support the family. He enrolled in a private painting school in
1965. “School was far from my house, and I couldn’t afford a bicycle.
Because our family life was hard, only my mother was working to support
the whole family and she became older and older and I had to pay the
tuition for the painting school.” Later, the school allowed Vann Nath to
work there in exchange for the tuition fee. After two years, he was
able to profit from his own painting work.

Living Under Khmer Rouge Regime

At the time of his arrest on January 7, 1978, Vann Nath was working
in a rice field in his home province of Battambang like many other
Battambang locals. The Khmer Rouge took him to Wat Kandal, a Buddhist
temple used as a detainment center. They told him that he was accused of
violating the moral code of the organization of Communist Party of
Kampuchea|Angkar. He did not understand what that meant.
Subsequently, he was transferred and deported to a security prison in
Phnom Penh. This security prison is known as S-21 by the Khmer Rouge
and it was formerly a high school known as Tuol Sleng high school.
There, people are interrogated and executed on a daily basis. Towards
the fall of the Khmer Rouge and the invasion of the Vietnamese army in
1979, only seven prisoners made out of the prison alive. Vann Nath was
one of them.


Vann Nath was a painter and writer whose memoirs and paintings of his experiences in the infamous Tuol Sleng prison are a powerful and poignant testimony to the crimes of the Khmer Rouge.
Vann Nath was an outspoken advocate for justice for victims of the
crimes of the Khmer Rouge and this is reflected in his writing. His 1998
memoir A Cambodian Prison Portrait: One Year in the Khmer Rouge’s S-21 Prison, about his experiences at S-21 is the only written account by a survivor of the prison. It has been translated from English into French and Swedish.
Vann Nath was one of Cambodia’s most prominent artists. His life was only spared by his captor, Comrade Duch, so that he could be put to work on painting and sculpting portraits of Pol Pot.[3] He played an important role in helping to revive the arts in Cambodia after decades of war and genocide.
During 2001 and 2002, Vann Nath worked intensively with Cambodian film director Rithy Panh in the preparation of a documentary film entitled S-21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine.[4] Vann Nath was interviewed in the film, in which Panh brought together former prisoners and guards of the former Tuol Sleng prison.
Vann Nath confronted and questioned his former torturers in the
documentary film. To recognize their work, both, Vann Nath and Rithy
Panh have been conferred the title of Dr. honoris causa by the University of Paris VIII on May 24, 2011.


Despite battling long-standing health problems, including chronic
kidney disease, Vann Nath continued to paint and write about his
experiences under the Pol Pot regime. He suffered from heart attack and
went into a coma. He died on 5 September 2011 at the Calmette Hospital
in Phnom Penh.[1] He was approximately 66 years old.

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Lalla Aicha, Moroccan princess, first female Arab ambassador, Ambassador to United Kingdom (1965–1969); Greece (1969–1970); Italy (1970–1973), died she was 81.

Princess Lalla Aicha, was the eldest sister of the late King Hassan II of Morocco, and daughter of King Mohammed V of Morocco and Lalla Abla bint Tahar died she was 81.

(17 June 1930 – 4 September 2011) 

Life and career

Born in Rabat, she was privately educated in Rabat and awarded a Baccalauréat degree. The exile in 1953 of Mohammed V and his family on Corsica interrupted her studies in languages. Lalla Aicha was the Ambassador of Morocco to the United Kingdom between 1965 and 1969, and then to Greece from 1969 to 1970, and to Italy between 1970 and 1973.[2] She was the first president of the Entraide Nationale,[3] president of the Moroccan Red Crescent Society from the 1950s to 1969, [4][5] and honorary president of the National Union of Moroccan Women since 1969 until her death.[2]


She married firstly on 16 August 1961, at the Dar al-Makhzin in
Rabat, Moulay Hassan al-Yaqubi (born 1934) and divorced in 1972.
Together they had two daughters:[2]

  • Lalla Zubaida al-Yaqubi (also named Zoubida El Yacoubi), Vice-Consul at New York 1985
  • Lalla Nufissa al-Yaqubi (also named Noufissa El Yacoubi), Vice-Consul at New York 1986

Titles, styles and honours

Titles and atyles


She received several honours during her life:[2]

Honorary military appointments

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

Victor Bussie, American labor activist, president of Louisiana AFL–CIO, died from stomach cancer he was 92.

Victor V. Bussie was until his retirement in 1997 the 41-year unopposed president of the Louisiana AFL-CIO,
having first assumed the mantle of union leadership in 1956 died from stomach cancer he was 92..
Journalists often described him as the most significant non-elected
“official” in his state’s politics. Bussie’s influence with governors
and state legislators became so great in the 1970s that a trade association known as the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry
(LABI) was established as a counterbalance to the AFL-CIO. LABI won a
huge victory in 1976 with the passage of the state’s still-standing right-to-work legislation.

( January 27, 1919 – September 4, 2011)

Defender of the Longs

Bussie recalled having been born in poverty in the community of Montrose in Natchitoches Parish to Christopher “Chris” Bussie and the former Fannie LaCaze.[1] The senior Bussie was a unionized employee of the Texas Pacific Railroad.[2] Bussie had a brother and five sisters, one of whom, Authree B. Gorrell of Austin, Texas, was still living as of 2011. At some point, the Bussies headed south to Rapides Parish because another sister, Fannie Mae Bussie Heard (1924–2009) of Shreveport, was born in Boyce. Fannie Heard was one of the first female Certified Public Accountants in northwestern Louisiana, having also been licensed to practice in California and Nevada.[3] Bussie, who was half Choctaw Indian,[4] commented on his background, as follows:

My mother and father struggled to send us to school because of the
high cost of school books. There finally came a time when they could no
longer afford to buy books for seven children. We children were told
that we could no longer attend school.[5]
That very same year, Governor Huey Pierce Long, Jr., persuaded the Louisiana State Legislature to fund schoolbooks for all children attending public schools.
Not only did that mean that my brother and sisters and I could finish
our education but also thousands of other children could as well. My
family never forgot Huey Long and became longtime political supporters
of the Long family.[5]

In 1959, as AFL-CIO president, Bussie checked himself into a mental health facility in Galveston, Texas, as a ruse for the confinement of Governor Earl Kemp Long, who was committed by his wife, Blanche Revere Long and Long’s nephew, U.S. Senator Russell B. Long.
“It’s hard to believe that I was involved in it. It was a mess. He
(Long) could have easily sued me, but that never occurred to me. He was a
friend, and I just tried to help as best I could.”[6]

Bussie in Shreveport

Bussie, a veteran of the United States Navy during World War II, joined the Shreveport
Fire Department and became a leader in the departmental union. He
became chief of the Fire Prevention Bureau and the president of the
Central Trades and Labor Council. James C. Gardner, who served as mayor
of Shreveport from 1954 to 1958, described Bussie as “well-spoken” and
his “polite and reasonable manner made him widely sought as the ‘labor
member’ of various civic boards.” As a second assistant chief, a
position Bussie obtained without waiting for civil service seniority,
his signature was required on all certificates of occupancy for
commercial buildings, a position of considerable power.[7]
Some in the business community accused Bussie of requiring work beyond
the municipal building or fire code regulations in order to create more
employment within the building trades. To check Bussie, officials
activated, as permitted by the city charter, a building code board of
appeals to prevent abuses.[8]

The AFL-CIO Central Trades and Labor Council on U.S. Highway 79 in west Shreveport helped to launch Victor Bussie’s lengthy labor career.

Early in 1955, Bussie, acting through the Central Trades and Labor
Council during his lunch hour, called a strike of waitresses at
Brocato’s Restaurant in Shreveport when the company declined to rehire a
fired waitress. In retaliation, Shreveport Public Safety Commissioner
J. Earl Downs, the brother of an influential state senator allied with the Longs, Crawford H. “Sammy” Downs of Alexandria, the seat of Rapides Parish,
demoted Bussie to the rank of captain and assigned him to a fire
station. Bussie instead took unpaid leave and appealed Downs’ decision
to the Fire and Police Civil Service Board. After fourteen sessions and
fifty hours of testimony, the civil service board voted 4–1 to uphold
the demotion, with the lone dissenter being the firefighters’
representative. Bussie announced that he would appeal to the courts.
Meanwhile, he became the state AFL-CIO president for the remainder of
his working career and lived in Baton Rouge. No action was ever taken by
the courts in Bussie’s appeal.[9]
Gardner said that the demotion “turned out to be the best thing that
could have happened to Bussie and the labor movement in Louisiana… He
was extremely effective as the Louisiana leader of organized labor and
brought a level of influence for labor in Baton Rouge that it had not
previously enjoyed.[10]

Bussie’s home bombed

On July 19, 1966, Bussie’s Baton Rouge residence in the Kenilworth
subdivision was bombed, but there were no injuries. Jules R. Kimble, a
then 24-year-old proclaimed former member of the Ku Klux Klan,
who also claimed to have been the heir to a nonexistent fortune, told
police that he had overheard three Klansmen plot the bombing of both the
Bussie residence and that of Viola Logan, an African American teacher in Port Allen, the seat of West Baton Rouge Parish. Kimble said the plot was hatched in Kimble’s New Orleans
home but that he declined to participate in the execution of the plans.
It was theorized that the bombing was inspired by Klansmen who favored a
state grant-in-aid program to benefit white private academies which
would soon mushroom in predominantly black sections of Louisiana with
the arrival of court-mandated school desegregation. Kimble was eventually booked with aggravated assault, impersonating a police officer, and carrying a concealed weapon.[11]

Service on boards and commissions

As he had served on Shreveport boards, Bussie also was the union
representative over the years on many state boards and commissions,
including the Louisiana State University Board of Supervisors,[12] and was the chairman of the Louisiana Public Facilities Authority.[13] On his retirement, a Baton Rouge Morning Advocate editorial concluded, “Bussie might well be the most powerful Louisianan never elected to public office.”
Bussie, ever with an eye toward friendly relations with the media, once invited the Morning Advocate managing editor, Margaret Dixon, to address the AFL-CIO convention. He also maintained a highly visible public image for himself.
He served two four-year terms on the Democratic National Committee.[1] President John F. Kennedy asked Bussie to pressure Senator Russell Long, whom Bussie had known since boyhood, to push Medicare through a Senate committee that Long chaired.[2] However, Medicare was not enacted until Lyndon B. Johnson succeeded Kennedy as President.
At the time of his death, Bussie was still a member of the Baton Rouge Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Board.[1]

Bussie sues Margaret Lowenthal and Boeing

On October 15, 1985, State Representative Margaret Welsh Lowenthal, an unsuccessful Democratic candidate for Louisiana’s 7th congressional district seat in the United States House of Representatives, addressed the Lake Charles Optimist Club at its regular luncheon meeting. Lowenthal claimed that she had been told by an unidentified representative of Boeing that the firm had considered locating a manufacturing facility in Louisiana, but ultimately chose Mississippi
because of Louisiana’s unstable political climate and its longstanding
problems with public education. Lowenthal said that she was told further
by the Boeing representative that, “‘As long as you have a man named
Victor Bussie sitting in Baton Rouge, calling the shots for labor, we
don’t need to be in your state.'” Her remarks were telecast over Lake
Charles television.[14]
Bussie filed suit against Lowenthal and Boeing alleging that the
statements were false and were made with actual malice. Bussie alleged
that as such the statements damaged his reputation and held him up to
public contempt and ridicule and caused him embarrassment, humiliation,
mental suffering, and anxiety. Lowenthal claimed that the statements had
been made to her while she was attending a cocktail party given by the
Louisiana delegation to the National Conference of State Legislators.[14]

Bussie fights right-to-work

The Louisiana State Legislature passed a right-to-work law in the 1952 session at the urging of then Governor Robert F. Kennon.
Gardner was a freshman member of the Louisiana House at the time and
voted for right-to-work. In 1956, however, when Gardner was mayor, the
legislature repealed the law at the urging of Governor Earl Long.
Organized labor took the leading role in the repeal, a reflection of
Bussie’s growing influence in state politics. Indeed, Louisiana was
clearly the most unionized state in the American South.[15]
Bussie found that rural state legislators wanted farmers excluded from
the repeal of right-to-work. Therefore, he endorsed one bill to repeal
right-to-work and another to restore right-to-work for farmers. “We
became the first and only state labor organization in the nation ever to
sponsor a right-to-work law,” Bussie said.[2] The maneuvering caught the eye of former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt,
who penned an editorial saying that Bussie should be expelled from the
union for sponsoring the restoration of right-to-work for farmers.[2]
In the 1976 legislative session, right-to-work was again passed by a
nearly all Democratic body, a reflection of the growing presence of
LABI, which sought to reverse what it claimed had been “socialism” in the heyday of Bussie’s influence.[16]
Bussie has since never wavered in his call to repeal the Louisiana
right-to-work law, which he calls the “right-to-work-for-less.”
Supporters of the measure, however, insist that it merely protects
employees’ freedom to refuse to pay compulsory “fees” to a union which
they do not wish to join. Twenty-one other states, including all
southern states, have such laws.[17]
Bussie claims that the effect of the law has been “to drive down
wages, … particularly in the construction industry.” Data furnished by
the U.S. Department of Labor
and the Louisiana Department of Labor show that construction wages in
the state have sharply increased relative to the national average since
passage of right-to-work. In 1976, Louisiana construction hourly wages
were 77 percent of the national average. By 2000, Louisiana construction
wages had risen to 96 percent of the U.S. average.[18]
Mark Mix, senior vice president of the National Right to Work Committee in Springfield, Virginia,
noted that the same trend is evident in manufacturing. U.S. Department
of Labor data show that Louisiana manufacturing hourly wages has risen
from 102 percent of the national average in 1976 to 108 percent in the
21st century. Because the cost of living in Louisiana has been
traditionally lower than in other states, construction workers’ real,
disposable income is above the national average.[18]
Bussie said the decline of labor unions in Louisiana began in 1976,
when the state Legislature narrowly approved right-to-work legislation
that was pushed by Ed Steimel, founding president of the Louisiana
Association of Business and Industry. Bussie once called right-to-work
“the most misnamed, deceitful, misleading piece of legislation ever
introduced.” Bussie and unions argued that right-to-work was meant to
weaken unions so businesses could lower wages. Right-to-work proponents
said the legislation was needed to keep unions from forcing employees to
join and pay dues. The fight culminated with the 1976 passage of the
legislation when nearly 15,000 union members protested outside the State
“That is when wages started going down in Louisiana,” Bussie said.
“It was tough, very disappointing.” Bussie said that prior to
right-to-work, Louisiana had among the most skilled workers in the
nation. Businesses liked the skill of workers, except for those
companies that were just adamantly anti-union, he said.[19]
“It was one of the biggest fights in the Legislature of this past
century,” Steimel said. He still feels the legislation was needed then.
But he said that corporations in Louisiana today are inadvertently
inviting the return of stronger unions because workers get paid more in
other states for the same jobs. “They’re abusing the power of
right-to-work,” Steimel said.[19]

Bussie in retirement

At the time of his death, Bussie was married to the former Frances “Fran” Martinez Nolan (born May 6, 1935),[20]
herself a political activist. Fran Bussie’s parents were John O.
Martinez (1906–1990) and Althea Williams Martinez (1914–2003) of New
Orleans.[21] Her brothers are Tony and Johnny Martinez.[1] Bussie’s first wife, from whom he was divorced, was the former Gertrude Foley (October 15, 1918 – September 16, 2005), who died in Round Rock in suburban Williamson County, Texas.[22]
Bussie was affiliated with the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. In 1964, he campaigned even in north Louisiana, a stronghold of the Republican U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater that year, on behalf of U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson, who lost that region by a large margin in the last election prior to passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965,
which thereafter enfranchised tens of thousands of black voters, most
of whom became automatic Democrats. Bussie was even closer to Johnson’s vice president, Hubert H. Humphrey of Minnesota, who had attended Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge during the 1930s but failed to win’s the state’s electoral votes in 1968.[23]
In retirement, Bussie joined a group of Louisiana business and political leaders, including the former Republican Governor David C. Treen, in unsuccessfully urging President George W. Bush to pardon imprisoned Governor Edwin Washington Edwards. Edwards remained behind bars until 2011 in the federal facility in Oakdale in Allen Parish because of his conviction of bribery.
Bussie supported Edwards in all four of the Democrat’s successful
gubernatorial campaigns. Edwards once said that Bussie was the
singlemost influential person in his administration.[24] Bussie also endorsed at least one Republican candidate in Louisiana, John S. Treen, the older brother of David Treen. John Treen lost to David Duke in the 1989 special election for the Louisiana state House from Jefferson Parish.
In 1994, Bussie, along with the late U.S. Senator Allen J. Ellender, was among the second round of public figures inducted into the Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame in Winnfield.[25] He was a recipient of the “Racial Justice Award” given annually by the Baton Rouge Young Women’s Christian Association.[26] In 1998, Bussie and former Governor John McKeithen were among recipients named “Living Legends” by the Louisiana Public Broadcasting Service.[27]
In 1997, Bussie received an honorary degree from Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, and other such honorary degrees followed. Then Southeastern President Sally Clausen
described Bussie as “an individual who has distingused himself through
his quiet but steadfast work for the underprivileged and his strong
stand for justice. He has been a lifelong supporter of education,
serving as an advocate for quality instruction and a voice of support
for higher education… “.[28]
With back problems, Bussie resigned in 2008 from his last state board, the University of Louisiana System
Board of Supervisors. He and his wife, Fran, left their home and moved
into the St. James Place retirement community in Baton Rouge. In an
interview with the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate, Bussie indicated that he would not write a book of memoirs
despite his significance to 20th century Louisiana history. He has been
named the 2008 recipient of the “Friend of Education” award from the
Louisiana Federation of Teacher, an affiliate of the American Federation
of Teachers. Bussie said that he had long promoted educational
opportunity because college had never been an option for him. Bussie’s
papers are in the archives of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.[29] Victor and Fran Bussie have also completed an oral history for the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office.[6]

Bussie’s legacy

Bob Mann, LSU communications professor, said that Bussie was more
influential than many governors. “I can’t think of anyone who wielded so
much power for such an extended period of time.” Mann described Bussie
as “a living, breathing treasure trove of Louisiana’s political history”
but “so soft-spoken and modest.”
Even Ed Steimel,
Bussie’s top rival, had tremendous respect for Bussie. “Many
businesspeople felt organized labor was running the state,” Steimel said
of his being recruited by LABI to take on the AFL-CIO in the 1970s.
“But we were never really anti each other, and we’ve become closer
Bollinger Shipyards
CEO Boysie Bollinger, who sat next to Bussie on the UL System board,
said he initially saw Bussie as a Louisiana “icon,” who as an aggressive
union lobbyist “represented everything that I was opposed to.”
But Bollinger said that, after getting to know Bussie, they became
friends, and he respected Bussie’s passion for education and worker
Sibal Holt, the first black female president of an AFL-CIO state
branch, said Bussie was “the champion of workers” of all colors and
sexes. “I sort of viewed him as an octopus with tentacles reaching all
over. But he was as sincere as the day is long.”
Critics have said Bussie’s and his colleagues’ involvement in so many
areas of government amounted to a power grab to keep unions very
influential. Bussie is emphatic that he only wanted to serve his state
as much as he was able. “It may sound corny, but that’s just the way I
lived.” He is proud of serving on all the boards without ever accepting
any per diem payments or salaries.
Bob Mann said Bussie was just doing his job. “It was his job to place
labor in the most powerful positions he could,” Mann said. “He wielded a
lot of power, but he did it in a soft-spoken and respectful way.”
T. Wayne Parent, the Russell B. Long Professor of Political Science
at LSU and formerly a young staffer at the State Capitol, said that he
was often mesmerized watching Bussie lobby the legislature. Lawmakers
would look toward Bussie when certain bills came up, and the labor
president would nod “Yes” or “No.” Parent said that Bussie “really did
represent the quiet strength labor can have behind the scenes.”
Sally Clausen, the state commissioner of higher education, saw Bussie
as her political guide. Clausen remembers Bussie’s small,
“dungeon-like” office. Yet people would flock to him as soon as he
entered a room. “I’ve never known someone as altruistic and humble, and
still so powerful,” she said.
Bussie said he had a good relationship with every governor from Earl Long to Murphy J. “Mike” Foster, Jr., with the exception of Democrat-turned-Republican Buddy Roemer.
Bussie remained close to former Governor Edwin Edwards. A few years
before his incarceration, Edwards flew in from a vacation to attend
Bussie’s 1997 retirement dinner. “I said, ‘Well Edwin, that’s the first
time you ever paid for anything out of your own money,’” Bussie joked.[19]
Bussie died of complications from stomach cancer at the age of
ninety-two at Baton Rouge General Medical Center-Bluebonnet on the
Sunday before Labor Day 2011. In 1989, Bussie had heart by-pass surgery, and in 1993, he lost a kidney to cancer.[2]
In addition to his second wife, “Fran” Bussie of Baton Rouge, he was
survived by two daughters from his first marriage to the former Gertrude
Foley: Deanna Love, of Wimberley,
Texas, and Carolyn B. Huff and husband David, of Round Rock, Texas;
stepchildren Tara Nolan Messenger and husband Terry and Michael Q.
Nolan, all of Baton Rouge; six grandchildren, and three
step-grandchildren. Services were held on September 9. 2011 at the First
United Methodist Church in Baton Rouge. Interment was at Resthaven Gardens of Memory Cemetery on the Jefferson Highway.[1]

To see more of who died in 2011 click here