|Born||June 28, 1971|
|Education||B.A. Columbia University|
Ridgewood High School
|Family||Jeffrey Blitz (brother)|
Andrew Blitz (born June 28, 1971) is an American comedian, writer, producer and actor best known for his sketch comedy and writing work on the late-night talk show Late Night with Conan O'Brien. He has earned nine Emmy Award nominations.
Blitz was born in New York City and grew up in Ridgewood, New Jersey, where he attended Ridgewood High School, graduating as part of the class of 1989. He graduated from Columbia University in 1994. By 1999 he had established himself as a fixture of New York City's stand-up comedy scene, performing regularly at the now-defunct Luna Lounge; in that same year he began his work on Late Night. His best known sketches on the show include Blitz traveling to India to NBC's computer help center to get his computer fixed, Conan helping his writer hunt for an apartment in New York, and a recurring segment featuring Blitz as an inept, chanting sports fan (in real life Blitz is a New York Mets fan). Since leaving Late Night, Blitz has worked as a writer, executive producer and guest actor on the Comedy Central series Review and worked as a writer and co-executive producer on the Netflix series Master of None. Blitz previously wrote for the Adult Swim series Eagleheart starring Chris Elliott, Maria Thayer and Brett Gelman. Blitz appeared in Season 4 of Arrested Development and the movie Table 19. He continues to perform stand-up comedy.
Late Night with Conan O'Brien characters
- As himself, on one occasion going apartment-hunting with Conan, on another occasion lugging his malfunctioning computer to a call center in Hyderabad, India, and on another hailing a New York City yellow cab and taking it all the way to Toronto, Canada due to his fear of flying
- Awful Ballgame Chanter, whose long-winded rambling chants are showcased as examples of how not to chant
- Chuck Aloo, star of the "24" parody series "60", each episode of which depicts one second in a minute
- Leonard Diesel, Vin Diesel's timid brother who promotes a movie in which he plays a meek version of Superman (Blitz subsequently played a different character named Osama bin Diesel on the MTV sketch comedy series Human Giant)
- One of the Slipnutz (also known as They Might Be Slipnutz), a comedy group of three men (Blitz, Jon Glaser, Brian Stack) who were inconveniently booked on the same show with Slipknot, (and later with They Might Be Giants). Their routine involves them slipping and sliding on nuts scattered on the floor. The Slipnutz also appeared on the program to promote their greatest-hits album, which included the songs "Old West Cowboys Slipping on Nuts" and "Viking Raiders Slipping on Nuts".
- An elections supervisor during the 2000 Florida election recount, who constantly yelled at election volunteers and advised them, "If you don't know who the person voted for, you put the ballot in the milk!"
- A participant on "Masturdate," a parody of dating shows.
- Kleimann, James. " Sketch Comedy Star Remembers Peculiar Ridgewood Childhood; On WTF Pod, Andy Daly talks why the high school football coach put out a 'hit' on him, his failed protests against student parking, and more.", Ridgewood Patch, August 28, 2012. Accessed September 5, 2017. "Ridgewood native and sketch comedy master Andy Daly appeared on WTF Podcast with Marc Maron on Monday, revealing a blisteringly funny time spent at Ridgewood High School in the 1980s.... The 1989 RHS grad was the proverbial busy body, active in extracurriculars like the TV club, as well as local government."
- Rob Sacher, Wake Me When It's Over: My Life as a New York Rock Club Owner and the Story of Luna Lounge (Selena Press: 2012). http://wakeme.net/comedy/
- "Best Comedy Showcase - Best of New York 2003". nymag.com. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Conan Fanatic (8 May 2018). "Andy Blitz Stand-Up Comedy - 12/29/1999". Retrieved 25 October 2018 – via YouTube.
- "Andy Blitz - The Steven Brody Stevens Festival Of Friendship - Omny.fm". omny.fm. Archived from the original on 28 September 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Dave welcomes comedian Andy Blitz, who talks about the much-anticipated Slipnutz reunion, Moby calls in to explain to Dave his plans to start a cult, musician Sean Yseult (White Zombie, Star and Dagger) calls in, and musical guest Bridget Everett.: The Goddamn Dave Hill Show". WFMU. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De8TECO7JW4 (Shortly thereafter, Conan helped Blitz furnish his apartment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBcCoCJQW1g.)
- Inflatable Conan (19 March 2015). "Conan Travels - "Andy Blitz visits India" - 9/17/04". Retrieved 25 October 2018 – via YouTube.
- Bobblehead Conan (18 September 2016). "Late Night 'Andy Blitz Travels to Canada with NYC Taxi 2/17/04". Retrieved 25 October 2018 – via YouTube.
- "Human Giant - Osama Bin Diesel". Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Conan Fanatic (4 June 2018). "The Florida Recount Process - 11/9/2000". Retrieved 25 October 2018 – via YouTube.