Hackers steal and post personal pictures of actresses Emma Watson and Amanda Seyfried - but Watson denies nude photos in a bath are her
- Claims were made online that there are nude photos of Watson
- Actress confirmed photos of a swimsuit fitting have been stolen from her
- But her representative insists the pictures stolen were not nude photos
- Personal photos of Watson and Seyfried were posted to dark web on Tuesday
- Wednesday afternoon Seyfried's lawyers confirmed stolen pics were authentic
- Sent a legal note about 'intimate' photos showing Seyfried and an ex-boyfriend
Personal bikini pictures of Emma Watson have been stolen and posted online alongside nude photos hackers also claim are the actress inside a seedy only forum that is also sharing stolen photos of Amanda Seyfried.
Private images of the Harry Potter actress during a swimsuit fitting were leaked onto the web late Tuesday after her computer is believed to have been hacked.
The fitting photos appeared in the same post as pictures of an unknown woman in the bath with her face cropped out, although Ms Watson has denied those pictures are of her.
The 26-year-old Watson announced Wednesday that she has brought in lawyers to deal with the issue.
Personal pictures of Emma Watson have been stolen and posted online alongside photos of an unknown woman in the bath. Photos of Seyfried were also posted to the dark web Tuesday
She was forced to release a statement after online posts claimed naked images of her had been put up on an anonymous message board as well as encrypted parts of the internet.
Hacked pictures of her and a separate batch images of fellow actress Seyfried have been posted on 'the dark web', a matrix of encrypted websites that allow users to surf with anonymity.
A representative for Watson confirmed some pictures of her had been stolen, saying they were from a clothes fitting two years ago.
But the spokesman insisted no nude pictures were taken, stating: 'Photos from a clothes fitting Emma had with a stylist a couple of years ago have been stolen.
'They are not nude photographs. Lawyers have been instructed and we are not commenting further.'
Seyfried has not personally commented on the hacked photos.
Late Wednesday Seyfried's lawyers sent out a warning that the intimate photos of his client and her ex were stolen. It is unclear whose device the photos came from. She and Justin Long, pictured, dated from 2013-2015. Seyfriend is currently engaged to and expecting a baby with Thomas Sadoski
However late Wednesday afternoon her lawyers demanded another website that re-posted the hacked photos take them down immediately.
The letter, obtained by TMZ, confirms the photos were taken illegally and shared without the actress's consent.
'Several very private photographs of Ms. Seyfried either in various states of nudity or in intimate moments with her former boyfriend (the “Seyfried Photographs”) have been reproduced and posted,' the letter states.
Seyfried is engaged and expecting her first child with Thomas Sadoski. The intimate photos that were stolen are from her time Justin Long, whom she dated from 2013-2015.
It is unclear if the photos were stolen from Long or Seyfried's device.
Hackers also threatened the actress two years ago after she made a speech about gender equality
The theft came after Watson was criticised for exposing too much flesh in Vanity Fair
The theft comes amid a row over whether Watson has betrayed feminists by posing partially topless in the magazine Vanity Fair.
In 2015, Watson was threatened with a leak of her personal photos after a speech she gave about gender equality as part of her work as a UN Ambassador for Women.
Speaking at that time, she said: 'I knew it was a hoax, I knew the pictures didn't exist, but I think a lot of people that were close to me knew gender equality was an issue but didn't think it was that urgent, that it was a thing of the past.
'And then when they saw that the minute I stood up talking about women's rights I was immediately threatened, I think they were really shocked, my brother was particularly upset.'
In September last year, it was reported that Watson had brought in her legal team after website Celeb Jihad published other private photos of her.
The star sent a 'cease and desist' letter after images showing her wearing a sheer top were made public, US website TMZ reported.
Watson has been promoting her new film Beauty and the Beast in recent weeks
The photos argued over in September last year were reportedly taken by Emma's stylist, but were later removed from the web.
That dispute coincided with a public appearance by the star to promote the UN's HeForShe campaign, during which she hailed the possibility of the US electing its first female President.
Last month, a hacker was sentenced to nine months in prison for hacking the electronic accounts of 30 celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence and stealing nude photos and information.
Edward Majerczyk, 29, from Chicago, was also ordered to pay $5,700 (£4,600) in restitution for counseling services for one undisclosed celebrity victim whose photos were disseminated online.
Most watched News videos
- Paraglider's sunglasses fly off during stunt and drop into her lap
- Uncle of abandoned Nicaraguan boy says they will not send him back
- Beatrice wears high-collared coat as Eugenie opts for coat-dress
- Cars waved away after funeral so Royal Family walk together instead
- Dramatic moment cliffside crumbles onto North Wales beach
- Beer we go! Boris enjoys first post-lockdown pint in the pub
- Chauvin's team argues force was necessary due to Floyd's resistance
- PM announces push to find Covid pills to stop virus at home
- Delhi lockdown: People rush to bus terminals
- Boris Johnson vows to block breakaway European Super League
- Thailand: Coffin of monk seen in temple after self-decapitation
- Florida ride operator attacks mom as she's getting off Ferris wheel