Sponsored by ring alarm
Crime & Safety

Man Possibly Died From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Roswell

The Roswell Fire Department said a moderate level of carbon monoxide was found inside the home where the man died.

ROSWELL, GA — A young man's death from possible carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this month in Roswell has officials sounding the alarm about the dangers of this odorless gas.

The Fire Department responded on Nov. 10 to a call of a medical emergency at a home on Lexington Drive. Officials were told that the emergency resulted in the death of a 25-year-old male possibly from carbon monoxide.

Roswell Fire Capt. Pabel Troce said rescue units arrived at the home, and used a carbon monoxide monitor and discovered moderate levels of the deadly gas inside the residence. According to WSB-TV, the male was found in an upstairs bedroom. The station also said someone left a vehicle running inside a garage and the fumes from the car overpowered the victim.

Find out what's happening in Roswell with free, real-time updates from Patch.

"We cannot confirm the cause of death as CO, but want to inform everyone about the dangers of carbon monoxide," Troce said.

Troce said he hopes this unfortunate death serves as a reminder to the public to have appliances inspected and take appropriate precaution pertaining to carbon monoxide emitting machines like vehicles and generators.

Find out what's happening in Roswell with free, real-time updates from Patch.

SEE ALSO: Cause Of Roswell House Explosion Revealed

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. The CDC also reports that more than 400 people in the United States die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 20,000 visits are made to the ER and over 4,000 people are hospitalized on an annual basis due to exposure to the gas.

Here are some tips from the CDC to prevent CO poisoning at home:

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom.
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. Always open the door to a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car or truck inside.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator, have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as a water heater, should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors, as shown below. This prevents CO from leaking if the joints or pipes aren't fitted tightly.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal – red, gray, black, or white – gives off CO.
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
  • When using a generator, use a battery-powered or battery backup CO detector in your home.

(For more news like this, find your local Patch here. If you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app; download the free Patch Android app here)


Image via Shutterstock

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required items to arrestreports@patch.com.

The rules of replying:

  • Be respectful. This is a space for friendly local discussions. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name, and back up your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your replies stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Guidelines.