Eligibility & Transfer Credit
Review these guidelines to determine your eligibility for transfer admission. Please note that the terms high school and secondary school are used interchangeably.
- Students who have completed courses for college credit in an associates or bachelor’s degree program since completing high school must apply for transfer admission.
- Transfer coursework must be completed at an accredited degree-granting institution; coursework completed in vocational, technical, performance or professional programs is not considered.
- Students must have a high school diploma, the state equivalent of a high school diploma, or a GED in order to enroll at Stanford.
- Students who are dual-enrolled in both high school and college programs should apply for first-year admission.
- Students who have already earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply for undergraduate admission. If you are interested in applying to a Stanford graduate degree program, please explore the Graduate Admissions website.
Transfer credit is reviewed and awarded by Stanford's Office of the University Registrar according to Faculty Senate policy. While Stanford has no articulation agreements with any college or institution, a course generally receives transfer credit if it meets the following conditions:
- It is completed at an accredited institution
- It is substantially similar to courses offered at Stanford
- It is completed with a grade of C- or better
- It does not duplicate, overlap or regress previous coursework
Incoming transfer students may transfer a maximum of 90 quarter units (roughly two years of full-time college or university study) to Stanford regardless of the number of units earned at previous institutions. While transfer students are eligible to apply with more than two years of coursework from a previous institution, note that students are required to complete at least two years of full-time enrollment at Stanford in order to attain a bachelor's degree from the university.
The transferability of specific courses is ultimately determined by the Registrar's Office once students are admitted. Transferability policy may change from year to year. Consult the Stanford Bulletin and the Office of the University Registrar for current information.Updated on September 1, 2022 9:18 AM