The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 is a 2008 American comedy-drama film and a sequel to the 2005 film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The original cast (Amber Tamblyn, America Ferrera, Blake Lively and Alexis Bledel) return to star in the film. It was directed by Sanaa Hamri and screenplay by Elizabeth Chandler, who wrote the previous film. The film is based upon the fourth novel in the book series: Forever in Blue (2007), but incorporates scenes and storylines from The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (2003) and Girls in Pants (2004).
|The Sisterhood of the Traveling |
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sanaa Hamri|
|Screenplay by||Elizabeth Chandler|
|Based on||The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants|
by Ann Brashares
|Music by||Rachel Portman|
|Edited by||Melissa Kent|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Box office||$44.3 million|
It is the second installment of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants film series and was released in theaters on August 6, 2008.
Bridget discovers her father had hidden letters from her grandmother Greta and rejects his explanation that he wanted to protect her. She goes to Turkey, where she participates in an archaeological dig under Professor Nasrin Mehani. After reading her grandmother's letters, Bridget leaves the dig early to visit her in Alabama. There, Bridget learns that her mother, who committed suicide, had denied having depression. Though Bridget's father had accepted this, Greta could not and cut ties with both of them. When Bridget worries that she will become like her mother, Greta reassures her that she is stronger than her mother. The conversation brings Bridget and Greta closer together, and allows Bridget to reconcile with her father.
While mourning the death of her grandfather Bapi in Greece, Lena meets her ex-boyfriend Kostas. He reveals to her that he is married and his wife is pregnant. Lena returns to the Rhode Island School of Design and begins dating Leo, the model for her life class. Kostas comes to see her, revealing that his marriage was annulled after his wife revealed she was never pregnant. Lena forgives him but she refuses to take him back because she does not believe they are the same people any more. However, after spending time with Leo, she realizes that she still cares for Kostas.
Tibby works at a video store in New York while retaking a screenwriting class at New York University that requires her to finish her script. While having sex with her boyfriend Brian, the condom breaks. Afraid that she might be pregnant, Tibby withdraws from her friends. She breaks up with Brian and gives Lena's younger sister, Effie, permission to date him. Lena brings Tibby a requested pregnancy test kit, but Tibby gets her period before she takes it. Tibby drives to Vermont, hoping for Carmen's support, but leaves after the two argue over who ignores the other more. She goes to Brian's house and apologizes, confessing that she had been afraid dealing with change. Realizing that he loves Tibby, Brian breaks up with Effie.
Carmen attends an actor workshop in Vermont, prompted by fellow Yale student, Julia. During auditions for The Winter's Tale, Ian, an actor, encourages Carmen to try out. Carmen ultimately wins the part of Perdita, causing Julia to become envious. Carmen grows more confident when her talent is recognized by the director and the other actors, including Ian, with whom she begins a flirtatious friendship. One night, Julia reveals she is going on a date with Ian, upsetting Carmen and causing her to falter in rehearsals. When her mother Christina goes into labor early, Carmen reconciles with Tibby and asks her to help. Ian comforts Carmen and reveals that Julia asked him out on a date. Carmen overhears Julia tell director Bill to replace Carmen, but he refuses. Carmen regains her confidence, performs successfully, and kisses Ian after the play. While packing to leave, she chastises Julia for her actions.
Effie, upset with Brian breaking up with her and how Lena seems to love her friends more than her own sister, steals the Pants and loses them in Greece while visiting her grandmother. Bridget, Lena, Tibby, and Carmen disagree over whether the Pants are worth saving, so Lena travels to Greece first. The other girls follow to help, and convince Lena to take back Kostas. Although they do not find the Pants, the summer ends in Greece with the four renewing their mutual commitment to each other.
- Amber Tamblyn as Tibby Rollins
- Alexis Bledel as Lena Kaligaris
- America Ferrera as Carmen Lowell
- Blake Lively as Bridget Vreeland
- Michael Rady as Kostas Dounas
- Leonardo Nam as Brian McBrian
- Jesse Williams as Leo
- Tom Wisdom as Ian
- Lucy Hale as Effie Kaligaris
- Rachel Nichols as Julia Beckwith
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Prof. Nasrin Mehani
- Blythe Danner as Greta
- Rachel Ticotin as Christina
- Ernie Lively as Mr. Vreeland
- Carly Rose Sonenclar as Katherine Rollins
- Kyle MacLachlan as Bill Kerr (uncredited)
Principal photography started on the island of Santorini, Greece in Oia and continued in Connecticut. Western Connecticut State University was used for the scenes of Lena at the Rhode Island School of Design campus. Tibby's scenes were filmed in New York City.
Soundtrack and scoreEdit
|The Sisterhood of the |
Traveling Pants 2
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||August 6, 2008|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
- Rock & Roll - Eric Hutchinson
- Together - Michelle Branch
- Sunset Man - James Otto
- No One's Aware - Jack Savoretti
- Warm Whispers - Missy Higgins
- Friday Night - Craig David
- Sister Rosetta (Capture the Spirit) - Noisettes
- 5 times out of 100 - Hot Hot Heat
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
- You Are Mine - Mutemath
- Strange & Beautiful - Aqualung
- Sisterhood (3:29)
- Kostas (:44)
- Carmen And Ian Rehearse (2:39)
- Welcome Home (1:07)
- Bridget (3:20)
- The Letters (2:43)
- Lena (4:14)
- Tibby (4:07)
- Carmen (3:52)
- Well Worn Pair Of Pants (1:39)
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 65% approval rating based on 98 reviews with an average rating of 6/10. The site's critical consensus reads "The workable chemistry among the four leads combined with the enriching message make for a winning Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Similarly, Metacritic gave the film a 63/100 score based on 26 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
The DVD and Blu-ray were released in the United States on November 18, 2008. In Australia, the film was released straight-to-DVD.
- 2009 - Nominated; Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Romance
A film based on the book sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, had been announced and it was produced by Alloy Entertainment. However as of 2020 no update about this potential sequel has gotten a update.
- "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Fleming, Michael (2007-04-20). "Warner Bros. stitching new 'Pants'". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- "SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2 - Production Notes - A Broad Canvas". CinemaReview.com. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Metacritic. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Box Office Weekend Grosses from 8/8 to 8/10". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2008-11-07.