The Protagonists (1999 film)
|Directed by||Luca Guadagnino|
|Written by||Luca Guadagnino|
|Edited by||Walter Fasano|
|Music by||Andrea Guerra|
|Distributed by||Medusa Distribuzione|
The Protagonists is a 1999 crime thriller film written and directed by Luca Guadagnino in his directorial debut. It stars Tilda Swinton and Fabrizia Sacchi.
The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 8, 1999, before being released on September 10, 1999, by Medusa Distribuzione.
- Tilda Swinton as Actress
- Fabrizia Sacchi as herself
- Andrew Tiernan as Mohammed
- Claudio Gioè as Happy
- Paolo Briguglia as Billy
- Michelle Hunziker as Sue
- Jhelisa as herself
- Laura Betti as Judge
The film chronicles an Italian film crew who are in London making a reconstruction of the real life killing of Egyptian chef Mohamed El-Sayed by the two 19-year-olds Jamie Petrolini and Richard Elsey in 1994.
Production on the film began in 1998, with principal photography taking place in London.
The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 8, 1999. It was released in Italy on September 10, 1999, by Medusa Distribuzione.
It was released in the United Kingdom on October 13, 2014.
The film received negative reviews from critics.
- ^ Prospero (February 10, 2016). "Luca Guadagnino talks to The Economist about "A Bigger Splash"". Economist. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ Barnes, Brooks (June 11, 2010). "A Guilt Trip That Begot a Partnership". The New York Times. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ Shoard, Catherine (April 1, 2010). "Tilda Swinton and Luca Guadagnino: a match made in arthouse cinema heaven". The Guardian. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ "Luca". Frenesy Film Company. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ "The Protagonists". MUBI. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ "The Protagonists" (PDF). Fetch Press. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- ^ Vivarelli, Nick (January 20, 2010). "Director to Watch: Luca Guadagnino". Variety. Retrieved June 23, 2017.