- Shirley Henderson was the eldest of three sisters born into a working-class family in the village of Kincardine in Fife, Scotland. As a teenager she sang locally and performed in school drama clubs. Her first break came when she watched a singer on the Opportunity Knocks (1956) TV talent program and decided she could do as well. She entered and won a talent competition at Butlins Holiday Camp and from there graduated to local music club gigs. She was later accepted by London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama. She performed on stage in England's National Theatre company, which led to a role on the British TV drama Hamish Macbeth (1995) with future Trainspotting (1996) co-star Robert Carlyle.- IMDb Mini Biography By: Michael Symons (slight clarification by Dani)
- Shirley Henderson grew up in Fife, Scotland. She began performing young and at age 13 she was singing in a boxing ring between bouts after winning a local singing competition. She went on to sing in the local working-men's clubs on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons. When she decided on an acting career, she uprooted to London to study at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
After graduating in 1986 she embarked upon a stage career that included spells at the National Theatre under the direction of Peter Hall, the Royal Court, the Traverse, Hampstead, the Citizens, Shared Experience, and, most recently, in Anna Weiss at the Whitehall Theatre under the direction of Michael Attenborough. Her first on-screen break saw her playing opposite Robert Carlyle in the popular TV series Hamish Macbeth (1995) which led to small roles in Rob Roy (1995) and Trainspotting (1996).- IMDb Mini Biography By: Michael Symons
- Soft, raspy, squeaky, childlike voice
- Short stature
- Being age 35 at the time that she first played Moaning Myrtle, she is the oldest actor to play a Hogwarts student in the Harry Potter films.
- She is the only actress to have won Best Actress at Cherbourg-Octeville twice.
- Has acted in both the Harry Potter and Doctor Who franchise.
- Henderson was born November 24, 1965, making her 37 when she played Moaning Myrtle (the ghost of 14-year-old Myrtle Warren) in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (and, therefore, 40, when she reprised the role in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"). Henderson was the oldest actress (and, in fact, the oldest *person*) to play a Hogwarts student in any of the films. (The oldest--or Seventh-Year--students were supposed to be 17 at the start of the school year on September 1.).
- There is such pressure on kids these days to be the best at everything.
- I don't know what I'd do if I had to look pretty all the time.
- I'm not going to get an Oscar at 30 - that's done. So I'll think of something else.
- I wasn't frightened of people, but I didn't have a clue about the adult world.
- I don't have children, but we all want to protect whatever we love in life.
Contribute to this page
Suggest an edit or add missing content