|Opening theme||"Se Identifica", A's Trincas|
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original release||July 2, 2019|
The series is centered on Luiza (Leandra Leal), Natalie (Debora Falabella) and Verônica (Taís Araújo) who are the founders of an NGO for environmental protection. Together with intern Clara (Thainá Duarte), they start investigating an anonymous tip that points to a series of evidence linking a powerful mining company to illegal miners in the Amazon rainforest.
The first season, consisting of 10 episodes, became available for streaming on July 2, 2019. With the technical advisor of Greenpeace and the support of other ENGOs, the series is the first original production of Globoplay that was released internationally through a Vimeo-powered platform.
Cast and charactersEdit
The co-producer Ana Lúcia Villela stated that the inspiration for the series came from the concern with climate change and the Amazon rainforest. Written by Estela Renner and Marcos Nisti, with the collaboration of Pedro Barros, the production intended to focus mainly on the role of activists. Under the artistic direction of Carlos Manga Jr., and the direction of Estela, the series relied on Greenpeace consultancy and with the support of other 28 human and environmental rights organizations with global presence.
On July 2018, Débora Falabella, Taís Araújo and Leandra Leal were announced as being cast for the lead characters. On November 2018, Ravel Andrade, Marcos de Andrade, Daniel Ribeiro, Gustavo Falcão and Bruno Padil joined the cast of the series. In December, Camila Pitanga had joined the cast as the villain character Olga.
The President of the United Nations General Assembly, María Fernanda Espinosa, praised the production. "We must all be an Aruana, sentinels of our forests. The series shows the strength and determination of women and the need for everyone to get involved with sustainability, to live a life with dignity based on generosity with the others and with other species of our planet".
Aruanas had a presentation panel at the Comic Con Experience in São Paulo on December 7, 2018, with the presence of the protagonists Débora Falabella, Leandra Leal, Camila Pitanga and Taís Araújo alongside the director Carlos Manga Jr and the writers Marcos Nisti and Estela Renner.
Several screenings of the series took place prior to its release. The first screening took place at the Electric Cinema, Notting Hill in London, on June 18, 2019, with the presence of actress Debora Falabella. The exhibition was followed by a panel that counted with the participation of representatives from Greenpeace, Amnesty International and the United Nations Environment Programme. The second screening took place at Angelika Film Center in New York City, on June 24, 2019, with the presence of actress Taís Araújo.
- "'Aruanas' chega ao Globoplay em 2 de julho". Correio Braziliense (in Portuguese). June 4, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Aruanas, la nueva serie "verde" de Globo". todotvnews (in Spanish). June 18, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Vianna, Katiúscia (June 17, 2019). "Aruanas: Saiu trailer da série protagonizada por Débora Falabella, Leandra Leal e Taís Araújo". Terra (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- De La Fuente, Anna Marie (June 20, 2019). "Globoplay's 'Aruanas' Amazon Rainforest Series Bows in 150 Countries". Variety. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "'Aruanas', a série do Globoplay com ação, suspense e debate sobre o meio ambiente". HuffPost (in Portuguese). June 17, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Aruanas: nova série usa ficção para chamar a atenção para mudança climática e importância da preservação da Amazônia". ONU News (in Portuguese). June 27, 2019. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Alessandro, Giannini (June 28, 2019). "Com Taís Araújo e Leandra Leal, 'Aruanas' acompanha ativistas contra crimes na Amazônia". O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Kogut, Patrícia (July 23, 2018). "Protagonistas da série 'Gaia' gravarão na Amazônia". O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Globo reforça time masculino de "Aruanas" com ex-contratados da Record". RD1 (in Portuguese). November 11, 2018. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Camila Pitanga viverá vilã na série Aruanas, exclusiva para o Globoplay". Observatório da Televisão (in Portuguese). December 4, 2018. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Taís Araújo lança 'Aruanas' em NY ao lado de lideranças internacionais". O Estadão (in Portuguese). June 26, 2019. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Izel, Adriana (December 7, 2018). "Com lançamento em 2019, Aruanas é thriller sobre preservação ambiental". Correio Braziliense (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "TV's first-ever environmental thriller "Aruanas" pleads with us to take care of the Amazon Rainforest". United Nations Environment Programme. June 18, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Greicehelen, Santana (June 19, 2019). "Debora Falabella participa da première de Aruanas em Londres: "Me sinto melhor depois de gravar essa série"". Observatório da Televisão (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Kogut, Patrícia (June 10, 2019). "'Aruanas' será lançada em 150 países e terá exibições em Londres e NY". O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 25, 2019.