Prince Nikolai of Denmark
|Count of Monpezat|
|Born||28 August 1999|
|Father||Prince Joachim of Denmark|
|Danish royal family|
|Extended royal family|
Prince Nikolai of Denmark, Count of Monpezat (Nikolai William Alexander Frederik; born 28 August 1999) is a member of the Danish royal family. He is the eldest son of Prince Joachim and his first wife, Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, and oldest grandchild of Queen Margrethe II. He is currently seventh in the line of succession to the Danish throne. At the time of his birth, he was third, after his uncle and father.
He was christened in the chapel of the Fredensborg Palace on 6 November 1999 by the Danish Chaplain-in-Ordinary, Christian Thodberg. At the christening, the musical work Lys på din vej, composed by Frederik Magle and dedicated to Prince Nikolai, was performed for the first time. His godparents are his paternal uncle, the Crown Prince of Denmark; his maternal aunt, Nicola Baird; the Earl of Wessex, Peter Steenstrup and Camilla Flint. After their divorce in 2005, Prince Joachim and Alexandra had joint custody of Prince Nikolai and his brother.
Like his father and uncle, Nikolai attended Krebs School in Copenhagen. In 2014, he attended 10th grade at Herlufsholm School in Næstved and received his upper secondary education there as well. Upon leaving Herlufsholm School in August 2018, Nikolai started a two-year military program at the Royal Danish Army's Sergeant School in Varde. However, he dropped out two months later as he felt a career in the military did not suit him. In July 2019, he was admitted to Copenhagen Business School to study Business Administration and Service Management.
In early 2018, Nikolai signed as a fashion model with the agency Scoop Models. He made his runway debut in February 2018 at Burberry's show at London Fashion Week. He says he sees modeling as a job rather than a career.
Titles and styles
Originally styled "His Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark", Nikolai's style was expanded on 29 April 2008 to "His Highness Prince Nikolai of Denmark, Count of Monpezat". In September 2022, Queen Margethe II decided to strip the children of her son Joachim from their princely status. From 1 January 2023, Nikolai will be known as "His Excellency Count Nikolai of Monpezat". Nikolai said he was "shocked and confused" when he learned about the decision. All four grandchildren maintain their places in the order of succession.
- Denmark: Recipient of the Queen Margrethe II Ruby Jubilee Medal
- Denmark: Recipient of the Queen Margrethe II Golden Jubilee Medal
- "Who is Prince Nikolai of Denmark?". Royal Central. 28 August 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Danmarks Radio, Bonanza. "Barnedåb – Prins Nikolai" (in Danish). Archived from the original on 24 April 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Børnene bliver hos Alexandra BT Royale – www.bt.dk". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "H.H. Prins Nikolai Kongehuset". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Joachim og Alexandra skal skilles Indland DR". 28 May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "H.H. Prins Nikolais konfirmation". Website of the Danish Royal House (in Danish). 18 May 2013.
- "Prins Nikolai skal på kostskole". TV2.dk (in Danish). 17 June 2014.
- Brown, Lisa (21 January 2020). "Everything you need to know about Dior model Prince Nikolai of Denmark". www.standard.co.uk. Archived from the original on 27 November 2020. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- "Prins Nikolai optaget på militæruddannelse – TV 2". underholdning.tv2.dk (in Danish). 24 April 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "Prince Nikolai of Denmark drops out of military training". Royal Central. 17 October 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Lykkegaard, Anne M. (31 July 2019). "Prince Nikolai is to study Business Administration and Service Management at CBS". CBS WIRE. Archived from the original on 24 November 2020. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Ulriksen, Ulrik (26 February 2018). "Prins Nikolai er ny stjerne hos stort modelbureau". BILLED-BLADET (in Danish). Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- Berlingske, 19. februar 2018: Prins Nikolai var model på catwalken under modeuge i London (in Danish)
- "Prince Nikolai of Denmark: The latest royal taking on the runway". HOLA USA. 20 February 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "Is Prince Nikolai of Denmark giving up modeling for business school?". HOLA USA. 19 July 2019. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "His Highness Prince Nikolai". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Changes in titles and forms of address in the Royal Family". www.kongehuset.dk. Retrieved 28 September 2022.
- ‘I am shocked and confused’: Danish Prince Nikolai ‘very sad’ to be stripped of royal title by Queen Margrethe II, Independent, 28 September 2022.
- "Official photograph on the occasion of the 50 years anniversary of HM the Queen's accession to the throne".