Proof that Chris Cornell could cover absolutely anything
18 May 2023, 16:20
15th to 21st May 2023 is Mental Health Awareness Week
Focusing on anxiety for this year's Mental Health Awareness Week will increase people's awareness and understanding of anxiety by providing information on the things that can help prevent it from becoming a problem. Find out more.
Let's look back at the late Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman's most epic covers.
The late Chris Cornell remains one of the most-loved rock vocalists of all time.
The Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman shocked the world when took his own life on18 May 2017, at just 52 years of age.
On Cornell's birthday in 2020 - 20th July - his family released a cover of Guns N' Roses' Patience.
The grunge icon was no stranger to a cover or two, and this latest video from his estate just proves what a unique and special talent he had.
However, there's many more where that came from, which prove Cornell may have just been one of the most talented musicians and cover singers of our time.
From The Beatles to Dolly Parton and everyone in between, one YouTuber has compiled some of his most popular covers into one video and timestamped them for our viewing pleasure.
Chris Cornell Covers EVERYONE! - Acoustic Cover Of Popular Songs
Whether or not you loved each and every one of his versions more than the originals, one thing is for certain: Chris Cornell always made a song his own.
Our personal favourite is his moving cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U, which the Cornell estate released as a posthumous duet with his daughter Toni in 2018:
Chris Cornell and daughter Toni duet on Nothing Compares 2 U
Dave Grohl performs Everlong at Chris Cornell Tribute Concert
- Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
- Phone: 116 123
- (free 24-hour helpline)
- Website: www.samaritans.org
- The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is leading a movement against suicide. Every week 125 people in the UK take their own lives. And 75% of all UK suicides are male. CALM exists to change this.
- Phone: 0800 58 58 58
- (daily, 5pm to midnight)
- Website: www.thecalmzone.net
- Are you, or is a young person you know, not coping with life? For confidential suicide prevention advice contact HOPELINEUK.
- Phone – 0800 068 4141
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 10pm, and 2pm to 10pm on weekends and bank holidays
- Website: www.papyrus-uk.org
- Maytree provide a unique residential service for people in suicidal crisis so they can talk about their suicidal thoughts and behaviour. They offer a free 4 night, 5 day one-off stay to adults over the age of 18 from across the UK. Their aim is to provide a safe, confidential, non-medical environment for our guests. Somewhere our guests can explore their thoughts and feelings, and feel heard with compassion and without judgement.
- Phone: 020 7263 7070
- Website: www.maytree.org.uk
- Charity providing confidential advice and support if you have anxiety, stress or anxiety-based depression.
- Phone: 03444 775 774
- (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 10pm; Saturday to Sunday, 10am to 8pm)
- Website: www.anxietyuk.org.uk
Men's Health Forum
- 24/7 stress support for men by text, chat and email. Fast, free, independent health information.
- Website: www.menshealthforum.org.uk
- Mind provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. They campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
- MindInfoline: 0300 123 3393
- (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm)
- Website: www.mind.org.uk
- Too often, people feel afraid to admit that they are struggling with their mental health. This fear of prejudice and judgement stops people from getting help and can destroy families and end lives. Heads Together wants to help people feel much more comfortable with their everyday mental wellbeing and have the practical tools to support their friends and family.
- Website: www.headstogether.org.uk