David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2022)
The Right Honourable
The Earl of Harewood
|Born||David Henry George Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles|
21 October 1950
2 Orme Square, London, England
|Occupation||Film and television producer, hereditary peer|
David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood (born 21 October 1950), styled as Viscount Lascelles until 2011, is a British hereditary peer and film and television producer. He is a second cousin of Charles III and a great-grandson of George V.
Lord Harewood was born at his parents' London house, 2 Orme Square, Bayswater, London, the eldest son of the 7th Earl of Harewood and his first wife, Marion Stein. He was baptised at All Saints' Church, Harewood. His father was a first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. His godparents were The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh (later Queen Elizabeth II), his great-grandmother Queen Mary, Viscountess Boyne, Benjamin Britten and his uncle Gerald Lascelles. At the time of his birth, he was 13th in line to the throne.
On 12 February 1979 at St Mary's Church, Paddington, London, he married Margaret Rosalind Messenger (born 15 April 1948 in Cheltenham), daughter of Edgar Frank Messenger and Margaret Alice Black: they were divorced in 1989. At one time, she was employed as a laboratory assistant at the University of Bristol. Their children are:
- Emily Tsering Shard (born 23 November 1975 in Bath). She is unable to bear the courtesy title of Lady as her parents were not married at the time of her birth. She obtained Royal Consent from the Privy Council to marry Matthew Shard on 12 February 2008. Emily and her husband are the parents of twins, Isaac and Ida (born 2009), and Otis (born 2011).
- Benjamin George Lascelles (born 19 September 1978 in Bath), a conservationist. Although he is Lord Harewood's eldest son, he is unable to inherit his father's titles as his parents were not married at the time of his birth. He obtained Royal Consent from the Privy Council to marry Colombian Carolina Vélez Robledo on 18 April 2009 at Harewood House. The couple have a son, Mateo, born in January 2013.
- Alexander Edgar Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles (born 13 May 1980 in Bath). He is a chef and heir-apparent to the earldom. He has a son, Leo Cyrus Anthony Lascelles (born 22 March 2008), by his ex-girlfriend Laleh Yeganegy (born 1980). Married Annika Reed (born September 1984) on 18 August 2017 at Kew Gardens, London. Their daughter Ivy was born in October 2018.
- Hon. Edward David Lascelles (born 19 November 1982 in Bath). Edward Lascelles, obtained Royal Consent to marry Sophie Cartlidge, on 2 August 2014 in Harewood House. They welcomed their son Sebastian Lascelles in August 2020.
Lascelles succeeded to the Earldom of Harewood on the death of his father in July 2011. As Earl of Harewood he continues the tradition begun by his father in 1961 by serving as the honorary lifetime president of Leeds United Football Club.
The Earl of Harewood is a film and television producer. His work includes:
|1981||The Return of the Inca||Cinematographer|
|1984||Tibet: A Buddhist Trilogy||Cinematographer/Producer|
|1984||People Show (TV short)||Producer|
|1986||Mae'n Talu Withe (TV film)||Producer|
|1986||Zastrozzi: A Romance (TV mini-series)||Producer (4 episodes)|
|1988||Star Trap (TV film)||Associate Producer|
|1990-1991||Inspector Morse (TV series)||Producer (9 episodes)|
|1993||Screen One||Producer (1 episode)|
|1995||Richard III||Line Producer|
|1996||The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders (TV series)||Producer|
|1996||The Making of Moll Flanders (TV film documentary)||Himself|
|1998||The Wisdom of Crocodiles||Producer|
|1999||Second Sight (TV film)||Producer|
|2000||Second Sight (TV series)||Executive Producer|
|2002||Daddy's Girl (TV film)||Producer|
|2002||The John Thaw Story (TV documentary)||Himself|
|2013||Carved with Love: The Genius of British Woodwork (TV mini-series documentary)||Himself - Earl of Harewood|
- "Christening At Harewood (1951)". British Pathé. YouTube. 13 April 2014. Archived from the original on 12 December 2021. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark". Hein's Royal Genealogy Page. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Council List February 2009". Privy Council. 11 February 2009. Archived from the original on 3 November 2010.
- "Royal Wedding Staged at Harewood House". Yorkshire Evening Post. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Walker, Tim (16 May 2014). "Viscount Lascelles, 53rd in line to the the throne, takes a job in the kitchen". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Countess of Harewood, Diane Howse: An artist in residence who is also lady of the house". yorkshirepost.co.uk. Archived from the original on 19 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "The Earl of Harewood". The Daily Telegraph. 11 July 2011. Archived from the original on 12 July 2011.
- RootsAndLeaves.com, Genealogy and Family History – Lascelles (Harewood) Family