Freddie Matthew Smith
March 19, 1988
Ashtabula, Ohio, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, director, producer, writer|
Freddie Matthew Smith (born March 19, 1988) is an American television actor. He is known for his portrayal as Marco Salazar in the new franchise of 90210 aired on The CW. He is best known for his character Sonny Kiriakis, the first openly gay contract role on the daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives.
After high school, Smith moved to Los Angeles, beginning his acting career in 2008 appearing a cameo role in the paranormal series Medium playing a senior boy which is unaccredited during that episode. He appeared in the short film titled Weak Species co-starring Erik Smith and in the film One Wish released in 2010. He also has done commercials for Kay Jewelers, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr, McDonald's and Verizon.
On January 9, 2011 it was reported that he had joined the cast of The CW series 90210, in a recurring role as Marco, a gay soccer player who will become involved with Teddy Montgomery (Trevor Donovan). He appeared in 5 episodes of the third season including the season finale. On July 17, 2011 The CW announced that Marco will not return in season 4 as Teddy's boyfriend, having broken up with him over the summer. Besides 90210, he took up the role of Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis in Days of Our Lives, the first openly gay contracted character in the hit daytime soap opera (Ryan Scott had previously played the non-contract, openly gay role of Harold Wentworth between 2000 and 2003). In 2013, Smith received his first Daytime Emmy Award nomination in the Outstanding Younger Actor category. In 2015, Smith won a Daytime Emmy Award in the category of Outstanding Younger Actor. That same year, Smith announced his decision to depart Days of Our Lives; Smith returned for a guest stint in the months following his departure. In April 2016, it was announced that Smith had re-joined the soap, and is scheduled to first appear in July. In October 2017, the actor's character took part in a double Salem wedding. When asked what the wedding meant for Sonny and Paul (Christopher Sean) Smith stated, "I mean, it's huge for Paul. This is his very first wedding, his first and only … For Sonny, it's a huge step forward because it shows that he's officially able to move on from Will … It's a huge stepping stone in their relationship."
Freddie Smith was born in Ashtabula, Ohio to Fred and Renee Smith. He grew up as an only child but is very close with two of his cousins. Smith "lived and breathed basketball" until his senior year in high school when a friend suggested he take a theater art class. Smith graduated from Edgewood Senior High School in 2006.
On October 6, 2014, Smith crashed his car in Kingsville Township, Ohio, near his alma mater, critically injuring his passenger, Alyssa Tabit. He pleaded guilty to vehicular assault and DUI and was sentenced on February 18, 2015. He was sentenced to two years' probation. His driver license was suspended for one year. He also was ordered to pay $1,400 in fines. Tabit wrote a letter to the judge asking for Smith to be spared prison. Smith married Alyssa Tabit on December 31, 2020.
|2009||Weak Species||Jock 3||Short film|
|2010||One Wish||Sara's Boyfriend|
|2015||Hiker||Ryan Howland||also director, executive producer, writer and editor|
|2008||Medium||Senior Boy||Episode: "But for the Grace of God"|
|2011||90210||Marco Salazar||Recurring role; 5 episodes|
|2011||ACME Hollywood Dream Role||Himself||Episode: "Freddie Smith"|
|2011–2020||Days of Our Lives||Sonny Kiriakis||Series regular; 2011–15, 2016–2020|
|2013||Addicts Anonymous||Gary Goldberg||Recurring role; 6 episodes|
|2018||"Give Me Your Hand"||Himself||Shannon K|
Awards and nominations
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series||Days of Our Lives||Nominated|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series||Days of Our Lives||Won|
- Terry, Shelley (October 8, 2014). "Soap opera star crashes car in Kingsville Township". Star Beacon. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- jaayro (2 May 2009). "Weak Species (2009)". IMDb. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- TERRY, SHELLEY (January 25, 2012). "Edgewood graduate in Valentine's TV commercial". Star Beacon.
- "Freddie Smith joins cast *minor spoilers*". TV.com. CNET. December 9, 2010. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Z., Martha (December 9, 2010). "90210 - Freddie Smith joins cast". SpoilerTV.com. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Martin, Denise (Jul 17, 2011). "90210 Season 4 Spoilers! Is Teddy Gone? Can Adrianna Be Redeemed? Will Naomi Have a Baby?". TVGuide.
- Rice, Lynette (Jun 17, 2011). "Official: 'Days of Our Lives' begins gay storyline -- EXCLUSIVE". EW.
- Di Lauro, Janet (June 15, 2013). "25 Facts About Freddie Smith".
- Reiher, Andrea (May 1, 2013). "2013 Daytime Emmy Awards nominations: 'Young and the Restless' leads with 23". Zap2it. Archived from the original on May 2, 2013. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Goldberg, Michael (September 16, 2015). "Freddie Smith Returning to 'Days of our Lives'". Serial Scoop. United States: Blogger (Google). Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "Freddie Smith's "Emotional" DAYS Comeback". Soap Opera Digest. United States: American Media, Inc. 40 (42): 5. October 19, 2015.
- Goldberg, Michael (April 13, 2016). "Freddie Smith Returning to Days of our Lives". Serial Scoop. United States: Blogger (Google). Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Wilson, Lori (September 28, 2017). "Freddie Smith and Christopher Sean Preview PaulSon's Chaotic Wedding". SheKnows Soaps. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Waldron, Robert (August 30, 2011). "Sonny Days". Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. 36 (35): 44–46.
- Terry, Shelley (February 19, 2015). "Smith avoids jail time in drunk driving crash". Star Beacon. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- "The 40th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy Award Nominations". New York, New York: emmyonline.org and National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. May 1, 2013. Archived from the original on June 6, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (April 26, 2015). "Daytime Emmy Awards: The Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 27, 2015.