List of political parties in Ethiopia
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
This article lists political parties in Ethiopia. Ethiopia has a multi-party parliament. The legislature was mostly dominated by the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front, until it was succeeded by the Prosperity Party in December 2019. The latest general election would have taken place in August 2020, but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The most recent general election took place in 2021.
Amharic: ብልጽግና ፓርቲ, romanized: Bilit͟s’igina Paritī
Oromo: Paartii Badhaadhiinaa
Somali: Xisbiga Barwaaqo
410 / 547
|National Movement of Amhara
Amharic: የአማራ ብሔራዊ ንቅናቄ, romanized: Ye’āmara Biḥērawī Nik’inak’ē
5 / 547
|Ethiopian Citizens for Social Justice
Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ዜጎች ለማህበራዊ ፍትህ, romanized: Ye-Ïtiyop'iya Zēgochi Le-mahiberawī Fitih
4 / 547
|Gedeo People's Democratic Party||Gedeo interests
2 / 547
|Tigray People's Liberation Front
Tigrinya: ህዝባዊ ወያነ ሓርነት ትግራይ, romanized: Ḥəzbawi Wäyanä Ḥarənnät Təgray
0 / 547
Other national parties
|All Ethiopian National Movement||Amharic: የመላው ኢትዮጵያውያን ብሔራዊ ንቅናቄ||N/A|
|All-Ethiopia Socialist Movement||Amharic: መላ ኢትዮጵያ ሶሻሊስት ንቅናቄ||Communism
|Oldest communist party in Ethiopia.|
|Alliance for Freedom and Democracy||?||Self-determination||Coalition of former separatist groups.|
|Ethiopian Citizens for Social Justice||Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ዜጎች ለማኅበራዊ ፍትህ; ye-Ïtiyop'iya zēgochi le-mahiberawī fitih||Social justice
|Created through the merger of 7 opposition parties.|
|Ethiopian Democratic League||?||N/A||Former member of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy.|
|Ethiopian Democratic Party||Amharic: ከኢትዮጵያዊያን ዴሞክራሲያዊ ፓርቲ||Liberal nationalism
|Member of Ethiopian Citizens for Social Justice.|
|Ethiopian Federal Democratic Unity Forum (Medrek)||Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ፌዴራላዊ ዴሞክራሲያዊ አንድነት መድረክ||Social democracy
|Officially a coalition of 5 parties.|
|Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Party||Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ሕዝባዊ አብዮታዊ ፓርቲ||Non-ethnic federalism||Former communist party.|
|Ethiopian Social Democratic Party||Amharic: ኢትዮጵያ ማህበረ-ዴሞክራሲ ፌደራላዊ ፓርቲ||Social democracy||Former member of the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces.|
|Ginbot 7||?||N/A||Political organisation.|
|Islamic Front for the Liberation of Oromia||?||Oromo self-determination||Oromo militant party.|
|Kefagn Patriotic Front||?||N/A||Formed by soldiers from the army of Mengistu Haile Mariam.|
|Oromo Federalist Congress||?||Formed in 2012 from merger of OPC with OFDM.|
|Rainbow Ethiopia: Movement for Democracy and Social Justice||?||N/A||Former member of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy.|
|Sidama Liberation Front||?||Sidama self-determination||Sidama militant group.|
|Western Somali Democratic Party||?||Somali nationalism||Former separatist group.|
|Coalition of Ethiopian Federalist Forces||Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ፌዴራሊስት ኃይሎች ጥምረት||Ethnic federalism
Other regional parties
- "Ethiopian Politics - Election 2020". www.globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- "The EPRDF Officially Ends; The Prosperity Party Begins". Ezega News. 2019-12-26. Archived from the original on 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- Berhe, Aregawi (2008). A Political History of the Tigray People's Liberation Front (1975-1991): Revolt, Ideology and Mobilisation in Ethiopia (PDF). The Horn of Africa Research and Knowledge Exchange Platform: HAREP. Amsterdam. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2019-08-19. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- "Ethiopian Parlament". Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- "Bekele Gerba speaks!". Addis Standard. 2015-05-16. Archived from the original on 2021-02-18. Retrieved 2021-02-18.
- Barder, Brian (1999-05-25). "Asrat Woldeyes". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- "News: Tigray interim admin CEO says Mekelle gets new mayor, urges civil servants to resume work and cautions door-to-door search for unlawful firearms begins today". Addis Standard. 2020-12-15. Archived from the original on 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- "Assimba Democratic Party established in Tigray, border with Eritrea among top agenda". Borkena. 2019-10-03. Archived from the original on 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- Tesfaye, Abel (2020-09-09). "Tigray's election can accelerate the region's democratic reforms". Ethiopia Insight. Archived from the original on 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- EUPF (2014-10-25). "Response to articles appearing on Nyamilepedia on 3rd October 2014". Nyamilepedia. Archived from the original on 2020-12-17. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "National Movement of Amhara party officially founded in Bahir Dar". Borkena. 2018-06-10. Archived from the original on 2020-12-25. Retrieved 2020-12-26.
- "The Birth of the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF)". Gadaa. 2010. Archived from the original on 2013-09-01. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "የትግራይ ዴሞክራሲያዊ ፓርቲ መስራች ጉባኤ መግለጫ" [Tigray Democracy Party ...] (PDF). Tigray Democracy Party (in Tigrinya). 2019-12-14. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- Wiren, Robert (2005-04-04). "Bulcha Demeksa, Chairman of the Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement (OFDM)". Les nouvelles d'Addis. Archived from the original on 2007-08-10. Retrieved 2020-12-17.