Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Frederick Francis I|
|Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Reign||24 April 1785 – 1 February 1837|
|Born||10 December 1756|
Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||1 February 1837 (aged 80)|
Ludwigslust, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, German Confederation
|Spouse||Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Frederick Louis, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
Louise Charlotte, Hereditary Princess of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
Charlotte Frederica, Hereditary Princess of Denmark
|Father||Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Mother||Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
Frederick Francis I (10 December 1756 – 1 February 1837) ruled over the German state of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, first as duke (1785–1815), and then as grand duke (1815–1837).
He was born in Schwerin to Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Friedrich Franz succeeded his uncle Friedrich as duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1785.
Following the Napoleonic Wars, Friedrich Franz was raised to the dignity of grand duke at the Congress of Vienna. Along with his cousin in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, he was known as one of the most reactionary German rulers. On his death in 1837 he was succeeded by his grandson, Grand Duke Paul Friedrich.
Marriage and children
- Daughter (stillborn 7 May 1776), buried in the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai of Schwerin.
- Son (stillborn 11 May 1777), buried in the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai of Schwerin.
- Friedrich Ludwig (13 June 1778 – 29 November 1819). He married Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia, a daughter of Paul I of Russia and Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg
- Louise Charlotte (19 November 1779 – 4 January 1801). Married Emil Leopold August, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
- Gustav Wilhelm (31 January 1781 – 10 January 1851).
- Karl (2 July 1782 – 22 May 1833).
- Charlotte Frederica (4 December 1784 – 13 July 1840). Married Christian VIII of Denmark. They were parents to Frederick VII of Denmark.
- Adolf (18 December 1785 – 8 May 1821).
|Ancestors of Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
- Haydn, Joseph (1855). History of the Wars of the French Revolution. Bangs. p. 555.
- Schelfkirche St. Nikolai zu Schwerin in: worldhistory.de [retrieved 2 March 2017].
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 104.