Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Duke in Bavaria|
|Born||21 January 1937|
Countess Elisabeth Douglas
|Father||Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria|
|Mother||Countess Maria Draskovich von Trakostjan|
Max-Emanuel Ludwig Maria Herzog in Bayern (sometimes styled Prince Max of Bavaria, Duke in Bavaria; born 21 January 1937) as the younger son of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria, is the heir presumptive to both the headship of the former Bavarian royal house and the Jacobite succession. He was born a Prince of Bavaria, as a member of the royal line of the House of Wittelsbach, but has been using the title "Herzog in Bayern" or Duke in Bavaria, since he was adopted as an adult by his great-uncle, Duke Ludwig Wilhelm in Bavaria, the last bearer of that title of a junior branch of the House of Wittelsbach, from whom he inherited considerable estates at Tegernsee Abbey (including a brewery), Banz Abbey and Kreuth.
Max married the Swedish Countess Elisabeth Douglas (born 31 December 1940 in Stockholm), daughter of Count Carl Ludvig Douglas and Ottora Maria Haas-Heye, in a civil ceremony in Kreuth on 10 January 1967 and in a religious ceremony in Munich on 24 January 1967.. His wife is also a granddaughter of general Archibald Douglas and a great-granddaughter of Philip, Prince zu Eulenburg umd Hertefeld.
They have five daughters:
- Duchess Sophie Elizabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967 in Munich), married on 3 July 1993 in Vaduz, Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein (born 11 June 1968 in Zürich), son of Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein, and Countess Marie Aglaë Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau. They have four children:
- Prince Joseph Wenzel Maximilian Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 24 May 1995 in London)
- Princess Marie-Caroline Elisabeth Immaculata of Liechtenstein, Countess Rietberg (born 17 October 1996 in Grabs)
- Prince Georg Antonius Constantin Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 20 April 1999 in Grabs)
- Prince Nikolaus Sebastian Alexander Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 6 December 2000 in Grabs)
- Duchess Marie-Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 23 June 1969 in Munich), married on 27 July 1991 in Tegernsee, Duke Philipp of Württemberg (born 1 November 1964 in Friedrichshafen), son of Carl, Duke of Württemberg, and Princess Diane of Orléans. They have four children:
- Duchess Sophie Anastasia Assunta Marie Pauline of Württemberg (born 15 January 1994 in Munich), married on 15 September 2018 in Altshausen, Count Maximilien d'Andigné (born 19 March 1989), son of Count Hervé d'Andigné and Marie-Adélaïde de la Barre de Nanteuil
- Duchess Pauline Philippa Adelheid Helena Marie of Württemberg (born 15 April 1997 in London)
- Duke Carl-Theodor Philipp Maria Max Emanuel of Württemberg (born 15 June 1999 in London)
- Duchess Anna Maximiliana Elizabeth Mariella Marie of Württemberg (born 1 February 2007 in London)
- Duchess Helena Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 6 May 1972 in Munich)
- Duchess Elisabeth Marie Christine Franziska in Bavaria (born 4 October 1973 in Munich), married on 25 September 2004 in Munich, Daniel Terberger (born 11 June 1967 in Bielefeld). They have two children:
- Maximilian Ludwig Terberger (born 30 August 2005 in Bielefeld)
- Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia Terberger (born 13 December 2007)
- Duchess Maria Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julie in Bavaria (born 7 May 1975 in Munich), firstly married on 8 September 2007 in Munich, Klaus Runow (born 3 July 1964 in Duisburg), an investment banker. Their divorce was announced in early 2015. Maria-Anna secondly married on 16 October 2015, Baron Andreas von Maltzahn (born 1964), son of Mortimer von Maltzahn and Stephanie von Zedlitz und Leipe. She has two sons from her first marriage:
- Heinrich Maria Leopold Maximilian Runow (born 3 May 2010 in Munich)
- Johannes Emanuel Philipp Maria Runow (born 24 March 2012)
The bath house ("Wildbad") Kreuth
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Technical University of Munich.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Friends of the Pinakothek der Moderne (the modern art museum in Munich).
- Member of the Board of Directors of TAG Tegernseebahn Immobilien- und Beteiligungs Aktiengesellschaft (a real estate corporation centred in the Tegernsee Valley).
- President of the Chiemgau Golf Club (since 1987).
- President of the Wittelsbacher Golf Club in Rohrenfeld-Neuburg.
- Coadjutor, Grand Master and First Grand Prior of the Royal Order of Saint George for the Defense of the Immaculate Conception
- Knight of the Order of Saint Hubert
- Knight of Honour of the Teutonic Order
- Recipient of the 70th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf (30 April 2016)
Prince Max, Duke in BavariaBorn: 21 January 1937
|Titles in pretence|
|Duke in Bavaria||Succeeded by|
Incumbent, Franz, Duke of Bavaria
|Lines of succession|
|First||Line of succession to the Bavarian throne||Succeeded by|
Prince Luitpold of Bavaria
|Jacobite succession||Succeeded by|
The Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein