|• Mayor||Ernst Wellmer (CDU)|
|• Total||82.06 km2 (31.68 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8 m (26 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
World War II[change | change source]
German troops destroyed the bridges over the Peene while retreating from Demmin during World War II. This way, the advance of the Soviet Red Army was slowed down when they arrived in Demmin on April 30, 1945. During that night and the following morning, Demmin was handed over to the Red Army largely without fighting, similar to other cities like Greifswald.
Although there were only a few pockets of resistance, nearly 900 people committed mass suicides in fear of the Red Army. Coroner lists show that most drowned in the nearby River Tollense and River Peene, where others poisoned themselves. This was fuelled by atrocities and rapes committed by Red Army soldiers until the city commander had the access to the rivers blocked on May 3.
Famous residents[change | change source]
- Joachim Lütkemann (1608-1655), preacher and author
- Heinrich Carl von Schimmelmann (1724-1782), merchant and politician
- Julius Friedrich Cohnheim (1839-1884), pathologist
- Willy Schulz-Demmin (1892-1974), painter
- Hans-Adolf Asbach (1904-1976), politician
- Willi Laatsch (1905-1997), pedologist
- Paul von Maltzahn (born 1945), diplomat
- Andy Glandt, banjo player
Literature[change | change source]
- Norbert Buske, Das Kriegsende in Demmin 1945 (German) - The End of the War in Demmin 1945
References[change | change source]
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Bevölkerungsstand der Kreise, Ämter und Gemeinden in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 31.12.2016". Statistisches Amt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (in German). January 2018.
- MDR Fakt from September 22, 2003 (mostly German, English in parts)]
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- Official website (in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Demmin.|