Charles Cadogan, 8th Earl Cadogan
The Earl Cadogan
|Tenure||1997 – present|
|Other titles||Viscount Chelsea (1937–1997)|
|Born||Charles Gerald John Cadogan|
24 March 1937
Lady Philippa Wallop
(m. 1963; died 1984)
Jennifer Jane Greig Rae
(m. 1989; div. 1994)
Dorothy Ann Shipsey
|Issue||Lady Anna-Karina Cadogan|
Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea
The Hon. William John Cadogan
|Heir||Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea|
|Parents||William Cadogan, 7th Earl Cadogan|
Primrose Lilian née Yarde-Buller
He was born the son of William Gerald Charles Cadogan, 7th Earl Cadogan and the Hon. Primrose Lilian Yarde-Buller, and was known as Viscount Chelsea before inheriting the title of Earl Cadogan on the death of his father on 4 July 1997. He was educated at Eton College.
He was a Second Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards. He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant (DL) of Greater London in 1996. He chaired Chelsea Football Club from 1981 until 1982 and is also a Governor of Culford School in Suffolk. He owned Bedfordshire based high end upholstered furniture manufacturers, Peter Guild Ltd, (now based in Long Eaton) for a period during the 1990s.
In the Sunday Times Rich List 2009 ranking of the wealthiest people in the United Kingdom, his family was placed 14th with an estimated fortune of £2 billion.—he is the second richest UK-based peer behind the Duke of Westminster. The Cadogan family's wealth is based on Cadogan Estates, which administers extensive landholdings in Chelsea, a wealthy part of London, including much of Sloane Street and Cadogan Hall.
As of July 2021, he is worth over $6 billion according to Bloomberg.
- Salvation Army Cross of the Order of Distinguished Auxiliary Service - 1970 (for exceptional service rendered to the Army by non-Salvationists)
- Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) - 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours (for charitable services)
Marriages and children
- Lady Anna-Karina Cadogan (b. 4 Feb 1964)
- Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea (b. 10 May 1966)
- The Hon. William John Cadogan (b. 9 Nov 1973)
He married secondly the etiquette expert Jennifer Rae (married 1989, divorced 1994).
Lord Cadogan's heir, Viscount Chelsea, lives at the family's Snaigow estate in Scotland. Lord Chelsea was educated at St David's College, Llandudno, and then served with the RAF in the first Gulf war.
- Sunday Times Rich List 2009 online edition
- "Bloomberg Billionaires Index: Charles Cadogan". Bloomberg. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- "Order Of Distinguished Auxiliary Service - Sawiki". www.sawiki.net.
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 6.
- "Working class hero". The Daily Telegraph. London. 14 April 2002.
- O'Neill, Sean (10 April 2002). "Family echoes in Chelsea streets" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "CADOGAN", Who's Who 2009, A & C Black, 2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2008 accessed 1 May 2009
- "Who'll inherit London?". Evening Standard. 23 January 2004.