Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
|Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg (more)|
|Born||Prince Guillaume of Luxemburg|
11 November 1981
Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
|Father||Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg|
|Mother||María Teresa Mestre y Batista|
|*Is a prince/ss of Nassau but not a prince/ss of Luxembourg|
Early life and education
Prince Guillaume was born on 11 November 1981 at the Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital in Luxembourg City and is the eldest child of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and his wife, Cuban-born Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. He was named after his father's youngest brother Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg. His godparents are Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg and Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg. Guillaume has four younger siblings: Prince Félix, Prince Louis, Princess Alexandra and Prince Sébastien.
Guillaume's education includes Lycée Robert-Schumann in Luxembourg; Swiss boarding schools the Institut Le Rosey and the Collège Alpin International Beau Soleil where he finished the French baccalaureate in 2001; and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Camberley, England. He began his higher education studies in the United Kingdom where he studied at University College, Durham and Brunel University, both in England. In 2006 he entered Institut Philanthropos in Fribourg, Switzerland, where he spent a year studying philosophy and anthropology. He later studied letters and political science at the Institut Albert-le-Grand in Angers, receiving his bachelor's degree with honors in 2009. His degree was issued by Université d'Angers, as a result of a partnership agreement between the two schools. From 2018 until 2019, Prince Guillaume attended a postgraduate training at the Royal College of Defense Studies (RCDS) in London.
The Hereditary Grand Duke completed internships at the Belgian Chemical Union in 2003, at the Deutsche Bank in London in 2004, and at the Spanish branch of ArcelorMittal in 2005. Sworn in December 2002 as an officer in the Luxembourg Army, Prince Guillaume holds the rank of Colonel.
Hereditary Grand Duke
Guillaume became the honorary chairman of the Board of Economic Development of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, an agency for economic promotion and development, in March 2001. He has also been a member of the Council of State since 24 June 2005. He attended the Millennium Conference at the United Nations headquarters in New York City in 2005. Prince Guillaume also worked at the European Commission and the Permanent Representation of Luxembourg to the European Union in Brussels in 2012.
The Hereditary Grand Duke is patron of the Luxembourg Cycling Sport Federation, Youth Hostels Central, National Association of Road Victims, Chamber Orchestra of Luxembourg, Youth Harmony Orchestra of the European Union, as well as to Young Entrepreneurs Luxembourg and Special Olympics Luxembourg Associations.
During the summer of 1997, Guillaume participated as a member of Luxembourg Scout Movement in a humanitarian camp in Nepal. He was involved in a reforestation project and other actions for the benefit of less fortunate communities. In 2017, the Hereditary Grand Duke joined the board of directors of the World Scout Foundation to support the development of scouting around the world.
In 1999, he participated in a charitable mission in Aguascalientes to provide the educational and social assistance to young people in one of the most deprived areas in Mexico. After having chaired the Kräizbierg Foundation, which works for people with disabilities, for more than 10 years (2000–2011), the Hereditary Grand Duke accepted the title of honorary president in March 2011.
Since 18 January 2016, the Hereditary Grand Duke has been a member of the board of directors of Europäische Stiftung Kaiserdom zu Speyer Foundation. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Fondation du Grand-Duc et de la Grande-Duchesse.
On 2 July 2021, Prince Guillaume, with his wife and son, inaugurated the Ettelbruck Agricultural Fair 2021. On 12 July, he and his family visited Luxembourg nursing homes to meet elderly people and ensure their well-being during COVID-19 pandemic. At each of their visits, the couple expressed their gratitude to the staff of the nursing homes for the efforts made in maintaining a warm environment around the residents, throughout the pandemic.
Marriage and fatherhood
At the occasion of his 30th birthday, he gave interviews during which stated that he was in a relationship with a "dear miss" that had been going strong for more than a year but insisted that they need some more time to evaluate their possible future. On 26 April 2012, the court announced the engagement of the Hereditary Grand Duke to the Belgian Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy. The civil wedding took place on Friday, 19 October 2012; the religious wedding took place on Saturday, 20 October 2012 at the Notre-Dame Cathedral.
Guillaume and Stéphanie have a son, named Prince Charles, born on 10 May 2020 at Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital in Luxembourg. He is second in the line of succession to the throne of Luxembourg.
Guillaume is interested in music and sports; he plays the piano and enjoys football, swimming and volleyball. He speaks Luxembourgish, French, German, Spanish and English. He regularly represents his parents in many foreign activities.
Titles and style
The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
His style and title in full is: His Royal Highness Prince Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma.
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
- Grand Officer of the Order of the Legion of Honour
- United Kingdom:
- "Droits de Succession: Ordre successoral". Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg. Maréchalat de la Cour. 6 June 2011. Archived from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Le Grand-Duc Héritier". Grand Ducal Court of Luxembourg.
- "CURRICULUM VITAE OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE HEREDITARY GRAND DUKE OF LUXEMBOURG" (PDF). Grand Ducal Court of Luxembourg (official). Luxembourg: Cour Grand Ducale. 9 November 2020. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 June 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
Prince Guillaume attended primary school in Lorentzweiler and continued his education in the Lycée Robert Schuman until the fourth year of Luxembourgish secondary education. Then he pursued his studies at the Le Rosey Institute and at the Collège Beausoleil in the Swiss Alps, where he passed his French Baccalaureate in 2001. From September 2001 until August 2002, the Hereditary Grand Duke accomplished his Officer training at the Sandhurst Royal Military Academy in the United Kingdom....In 2009, the Hereditary Grand Duke graduated with honours with a Bachelor's degree in Humanities and Languages, specialising in Political Science, at the University of Angers (France).
- "H.R.H. Guillaume the hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg". University of Luxembourg. Luxembourg: Université du Luxembourg. Archived from the original on 9 December 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
After his military training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Guillaume studied history and politics at the University of Durham, at Brunel University in London and at the University of Angers in France.
- "S.A.R. le Grand-Duc héritier" [HRH The Hereditary Grand Duke]. The Luxembourg Grand Ducal House Official Website (in French). Retrieved 18 July 2021.
- "Le Grand-Duc Héritier" [The Hereditary Grand Duke]. Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg (in French). Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- "Inauguration de la Foire Agricole d'Ettelbruck 2021" [Inauguration of the Ettelbruck Agricultural Fair 2021]. Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg (in French). 7 July 2021. Retrieved 18 July 2021.
- "Visites de maisons de soins luxembourgeoises" [Visits to Luxembourg care homes]. Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg (in French). 12 July 2021. Retrieved 18 July 2021.
- "Guillaume et Stéphanie se financent demain". Luxemburger Wort. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Nikkhah, Roya (20 October 2012). "Luxembourg's royal wedding draws regal guest list". The Telegraph.
- "Luxembourg royal baby boy born on Sunday". luxtimes.lu. 10 May 2020.
- Actualités: S.A.R le Prince Guillaume devient le Grand-Duc Héritier Archived 25 December 2015 at the Wayback Machine – Official website of the Luxembourg Government
- "Honorary distinctions of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg" (PDF). Service Information et Presse. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 January 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Princes and Princesses of the Grand-Ducal House of Luxembourg are Grand Crosses of the Order by birth but the decoration is worm only after they reach their majority (18 years old)
- Gazzetta Ufficiale
- "ENTIDADES ESTRANGEIRAS AGRACIADAS COM ORDENS PORTUGUESAS - Página Oficial das Ordens Honoríficas Portuguesas".
- Slovak republic website, State honours Archived 13 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine (click on "Holders of the Order of the 2nd Class White Double Cross" to see the holders' table) : 2nd Class received by Hereditary Grand-Duke in 2005, i.e. during the state visit Archived 24 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine (French) of Grand-Duke, Grand-Duchess & Hereditary Grand-Duke in Slovakia (7 September 2005).
- "Grand Duke, Hereditary Grand Duke Awarded Sandhurst Medal". Chronicle.lu. 23 September 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg.|
- Le Grand-Duc héritier – Official website of the Grand Ducal Palace