Regular Lovers (French: Les Amants réguliers) is a 2005 French independent coming-of-age romantic drama film directed by Philippe Garrel and starring Louis Garrel and Clotilde Hesme. Set in 1968, it tells the story of a young couple. The film had its world premiere in the Competition section at the 62nd Venice International Film Festival on 3 September 2005. It was released in France on 26 October 2005.
|French||Les Amants réguliers|
|Directed by||Philippe Garrel|
|Produced by||Gilles Sandoz|
|Written by||Philippe Garrel|
|Music by||Jean-Claude Vannier|
|Edited by||Philippe Garrel|
|Distributed by||Ad Vitam Distribution|
In 1968, François joins the civil unrest in Paris with his friends. He meets Lilie and falls in love with her.
- Louis Garrel as François Dervieux
- Clotilde Hesme as Lilie
- Julien Lucas as Antoine
- Eric Rulliat as Jean-Christophe
- Nicolas Bridet as Luc
- Mathieu Genet as Nicolas
- Rebecca Convenant as Charlène
- Maurice Garrel as Lucien
- Marc Barbé as Jean
- Nicolas Maury as Gauthier
- Brigitte Sy as François's mother
- Joséphine de Meaux
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 81% based on 16 reviews, and an average rating of 6.7/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 76 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gave the film 3 out of 5 stars, saying: "The violence and inarticulate idealism, and the disappointments and frustrations of youth, are still swirling around in Philippe Garrel's head, and he transfers them, almost unedited, on to the cinema screen." Jesse Paddock of Slant Magazine called it "a wonderful tribute to the ideals of youth."
|Award||Year of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Venice Film Festival||2005||Silver Lion||Philippe Garrel||Won|||
|Louis Delluc Prize||2005||Best Film||Regular Lovers||Won|||
|Lumières Award||2006||Best Director||Philippe Garrel||Won|||
|César Award||2006||Most Promising Actor||Louis Garrel||Won|||
|Best Cinematography||William Lubtchansky||Nominated|||
|European Film Awards||2006||FIPRESCI Prize||Philippe Garrel||Won|||
- Felperin, Leslie (5 September 2005). "Regular Lovers". Variety. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Les amants réguliers". AlloCiné. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Regular Lovers". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Regular Lovers". Metacritic. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Bradshaw, Peter (21 July 2006). "Regular Lovers (Les Amants Réguliers)". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Paddock, Jesse (23 September 2005). "Regular Lovers". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Vivarelli, Nick (10 September 2005). "'Mountain' tops Venice". Variety. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Nesselson, Lisa (19 December 2005). "Delluc likes 'Lovers'". Variety. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Lemercier, Fabien (22 February 2006). "A Lumière for Audiard". Cineuropa. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- James, Alison (26 February 2006). "'Heart' beats for Cesars". Variety. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- James, Alison (29 January 2006). "Cesar noms feeling 'Beat'". Variety. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Hartwich, Dorota (3 December 2006). "Donnersmarck and Almodóvar make the night at the European Film Awards". Cineuropa. Retrieved 2 March 2020.